Classic Records, Hendrix "Voodoo Child" Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone seen or heard about this Hendrix box set?

Hendrix: Voodoo Child Box Set

Jimi Hendrix

CATALOG #: RTH-2016-200gm
    LABEL: Rock the House 200 Gram LP reissues
    SRP: $75.00 USD

AVAILABLE: Now

Hendrix: Voodoo Child Box Set (Red Vinyl)

Jimi Hendrix

CATALOG #: RTH-2016-RED
    LABEL: Special Item
    SRP: $45.00 USD

AVAILABLE: January 23

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I see it listed on the Classic Records web site without any supporting information.

I assume that the red vinyl version is the "regular weight" 140 gram edition. Classic has been using colored vinyl for some of their regular weight issues in the past year or more. I have the 200 gram edition of the Noel Redding LP; the 140 gram version was on burgundy vinyl I believe.

With this and the new Who LPs from Classic I'm really starting to miss Red Trumpet!

3. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct usually carry all of the Classic Records rock issues, but neither site lists Voodoo Child. Strange. :confused:

4. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

I purchased this item at the CES from Classic record's booth. It is a 4 record set and no I haven't listened to it yet! :D The person who sold me the box set stated that the colored vinyl had yet to be manufactured by RTI but would be out on time. He also stated that I was the second person to buy it as they had only received them Tuesday afternoon from RTI! As far as the weight of the colored vinyl I have no clue, but my box is on 200gr. vinyl. Last but not least music direct, elusive disc and acoustic sound's had a little of each other's product but no one had this box except Classic. Hope this help's a little, Todd.

5. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

It's the same as the 2 CD greatest hits collection isn't it? Why not just do AYE if they are going to get the tapes anyhow? :shake:

6. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wildchild can you give us setlist? Is it a gatefold album? What's on the cover

7. PMC7027

The Classic web site now directly links to the item on themusic.com, however all it says for a description is Box Set and a price of $75. Does anyone know the track list? Does anyone know how many LPs are in the box?

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just recieved an email from Classic Records and they said it was the same track listing as the two cd greatest hits set. The also said this record is hot. I agree with the earlier poster that they should issue some other titles as well. The MCA viny is lacking on some titles.

Here is a quote:

Deluxe 4 LP box set edition of this great compilation previously only available as a two CD set includes four studio sides and four live sides along with a 12 page 12" x 12" color booklet filled with pictures and an essay by Kurt Loder. This issue was compiled from the original analog masters and mastered and cut by Bernie Grundman on Classic's "all tube" stereo cutting system and pressed on Classic's 200g Super vinyl profile! These babies are HOT and include all the biggest songs - Purple Haze, Foxey Lady, Stone Free and all the rest! (Also available on 140g Red Vinyl

9. PMC7027

Thanks!

10. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Sounds like a great set - IF it's really mastered from the original analog masters. I hope it is!

11. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Has anyone heard this yet? I saw it in the store the other day. Also, would it be better to get "The Jimi Hendrix Classic Singles Collection (Ten 7" 45rpm Singles, Color Vinyl)" or Voodoo Child? They both cost the same.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would get the lp. It is easier to deal with.

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

The color vinyl singles use digital masters. Same as the old black vinyl singles box.
    I would get confirmation the Voodoo Child box uses analog masters before I buy.

14. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Classic Records' website claims it uses the analog masters for the Voodoo Child LP's.

15. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Really? Great! Thanks!!

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Somehow, I question this. Given the variety of sources that the CD set was compiled from it would mean that Classic would have to have gotten every original master to create an all analog set. IMO I think at best, they probably got an analog tape transfer of all the tracks which may have been made when the original 2 CD set was released. Wasn't the singles box also original claimed to be from the original master tapes? I'm sorry for being skeptical but it just doesn't make sense, plus if Classic had been working on a project of this size it would have taken a long while and word would have spread.
    As a side note I wish Classic would go back to using 180gm pressings, IMO they were better than their new 200gm which I find more noisy and problematic.

17. This box is being released in 140g and 200g.

18. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I also agree!

19. MrFloyd

MrFloyd New Member

Has anyone heard this set? I'm tempted, but don't want to spend 75 bucks on mediocre sound, as I already have almost every version on this set.

20. nicholas029

nicholas029 Forum Resident

give me a few days and I'll let you know when mine arrives. Acoustic Sounds reports that the 200gm version is in stock, but there have been several delays on the 140gm issue that I opted for. The 140 gm versions are usually very quiet and I am not sure that there is any improvement in sonic quality on most 200 gm issues. D. Crosby, If I could only remember my name, however, is amazingly good.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ok, I listened to the 140 gram version last night. I thought it sounded pretty good. The red vinyl looks cool and the packaging is very nice.

One thing I don't understand is that the mastering credits say, George Marino at Sterling Sound.

22. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Uh-uh, just like the CD...
    I kinda like the selection of this set, but like most other Experience Hendrix releases it's mastered really really loud.
    This info obviously conflicts with the "compiled from the original analog masters and mastered and cut by Bernie Grundman on Classic's "all tube" stereo cutting system" claim.

23. So was it mastered and cut by Bernie Grundman all analog or was it mastered by George Marino? Anyone know?

24. John

John Senior Member

Im really thinking of getting this on 200g, I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

25. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I don't understand the skepticism here. This is Bernie effing Grundman doing the mastering! Whenever was he accused of cutting corners? Classic had a bit of a problem with their 200 gm vinyl, but that was sussed out as a problem at RTI and corrected. They are among the elite vinyl-producing companies out there, and there ain't many!!

Unfortunately, I cannot afford this set, but the Classic vinyl I DO own -- Procol Harum, David Crosby, Dylan, Genesis, etc, are all among the highest quality lp's in my collection. My two cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.