Classic Rock: Definition?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You too!

2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hello Grant, Hello......

As I quoted in my previous posting you wrote, "It is this musically bluesless rock that most, including me, regard as "classic rock".

FWIW, when a person uses the phrase "that most, including me" the writer is implying that others share the stated opinion.

FWIW, you did NOT state "it started to lose it's bluesy flavor somewhere in the 70s", YOU STATED "it is this musically bluesless rock". There is a significant difference between starting to lose it's bluesy flavor and being bluesless.

I'm starting to think that I read your posts more carefully than you do!

-Jeffrey

3. Grant

I think you have mis-interpreted my post entierly, looking at it from a hostile point of veiw, perhaps?

Let's take another look at my original post:
    I was referring to the "bluesless" type of music as something people regard as "classic rock". Kiss's "Rock & Roll All Nite" is classic rock, MOST call it classic rock, but I don't consider it very blusey, nor do I think "Cat Scratch Fever" blusey. Lyrically, yes. Musically, no. The 80s saw speed metal. That is the total departure from rock's bluesy roots.

This is getting silly.

4. Grant

Bob Lovely! You're in the business of solving employee disputes. What do you think?

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You quite clearly say that most people regard what you have defined as "classic rock" as accurate. With this turn of phrase, you are trying to add weight to your definition of "classic rock" by claiming that "most" use this definition. You don't have grounds for this.

There is nothing wrong with your definition, and I was quite enjoying your classifications. But to say that "most" use the same definition as you is not reasonable.

Regards,
    Geoff

6. Grant

Either you guys are mis-interpreting this bigtime or I should find a way to reword what I wrote to clarify things to you.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree 100% Beagle. I wish "Classic Rock" radio would play stuff such as It's a Beautiful Day, Renaissance, Moby Grape, Velvet Underground, and other stuff that FM rock radio did play in the mid 1960's rather than the same old stuff all the time even if the same old stuff rates highly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.