Classic Rock FM Radio Sucks Big Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter

I travel a lot in these here United States of America, and I have yet to find an FM classic rock radio station worth a damn. The same Doors, Pink Floyd, Stones and Beatles tunes over and over and over again. I hate their business model, I hate their playlists, I hate their executives sitting in their boardrooms scheming on how to sell more advertising by playing the same stuff over again. I hate you FM classic rock radio, I really do. I hope you die a painful slow death. No, make that a quick death. But it’ll never happen.

2. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Try some top 40, if you think Classic Rock is bad, which it IS! Just awful! But there’s worse out there.

3. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

That’s why there’s Sirius.
    It’s been available for a while

painted8, melstapler, Karnak and 9 others like this.
  4. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Forum Resident

Try some college stations if they’re available. Much better music selection and no commercials.

5. zen

zen Forum Resident

It sounds like you're beating your head against the wall, Johnny.
    [​IMG]

6. Johnny Action

But that’s streaming. And when I rent a car (often) I find Sirius not much better in terms of variety. Plus, the sound quality sucks. It sucks!

7. Johnny Action

KTRU - Rice University, Houston
    KLAX - UC Berkeley
    Both are excellent.

8. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Classic rock radio sucks due to the same old playlists with no deep cuts etc...however, all other radio stations are significantly worse.

painted8, coot, tommy-thewho and 10 others like this.
  9. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

It really is absurd how they keep cranking out the same old stuff.

coot, Bill007, tug_of_war and 2 others like this.
  10. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Depends on the car..
    Sirius sounds great in my car..

Radio is history...a buggywhip.......I stated this several times on this site....
    U have to adapt

11. Gaslight

Gaslight Kokomo or My Ding-a-Ling : Shoulda been a poll

I still listen to FM radio, before I get slammed. Have some decent stations on my area.

But when traveling? It's 2019....I'll just leverage my smartphone + whatever is on my local playlist. Or Tidal / Amazon HD. That includes rental cars btw - BT connect is like the first thing I do before I drive off.

12. Johnny Action

Let’s not turn this thread into another format wars thread. I’m talking about FM radio exclusively. And why it sucks so bad. I need a little validation here, folks. Some “Johnny, you’re absolutely right, you’ve hit the nail on the head, again!”

13. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Yep, Zep R&R, Black Dog, Stairway, Kashmir. Stones, Satisfaction, JJF, Brown Sugar. The Who, WGFA, My Gen, Who are you. Rinse & repeat x a billion.

Karnak, Bill007, The Trinity and 8 others like this.
  14. I'll be very surprised if anybody on this forum actually enjoys classic rock radio.

15. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Classic rock, yes... Classic rock radio, not so much.

m5comp, BobFever, jhm and 17 others like this.
  16. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

My wife and I vacation in Maine several weeks a year and often listen to various classic rock stations when streaming is not available (which along the coast of Maine, is often).

Apparently only Steve Miller, Don Henley and Bob Seger put out records in the last 50 years.

17. Ned Bode

Ned Bode More fluid, more rounded, more at ease

Should be on the masthead of this forum. ^

My radio time in the car these days is split fairly evenly between Jazz, Classical and Hip Hop. Classic Rock radio (and even worse, Modern Rock) is unlistenable.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and timind like this.
  18. Johnny Action

So if the classic rock FM radio format is not targeting true classic rock aficionados, who the heck is it targeting?

19. dsdu

dsdu Forum Resident

Quit holding back. Tell us what you really think.

The only FM radio I ever listen to is KPIG.
    Playlist (KPIG.COM)

20. smorrison

smorrison His Master's Voice

I listen to about an hour of morning drive show most weekdays.

The thing that I wonder about is if the heavy rotation playlists have to be *so* damn tight. I'm not saying anything like free form FM. Just for example, instead of playing "Roxanne" 100 times, could they maybe substitute "Message In A Bottle" for 50 of them? Or better yet, divide those 100 plays between "Roxanne", "Message In A Bottle", "Don't Stand So Close To Me", and "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"?

But nope, I'm probably going to hear "Roxanne" 100 times during the drive before I hear another Police song.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I wouldn't know. I haven't bothered with any radio in over a decade. Personal music player via cable (now Bluetooth) into my car's system. If you're renting vehicles, get a cheap Bluetooth receiver/FM transmitter and carry it with you to plug into the rental's cigarette lighter socket.

rxcory, BeatlesObsessive and Gaslight like this.
  22. People that enjoy listening to classic rock. Not all of it, not obscure edges of it, just enjoy listening to it. The focus group is king.

Fullbug and No Static like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I left FM radio years ago...never looked back.

24. Murph

Murph Somewhere...under heaven

It’s now become Muzak. Background noise. Check out WFUV (in NY)- you can catch them steaming and they do provide a really good alternative .. and a ray of hope

25. Don't sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel.

' Classic ' rock plays at my work constantly. It's a noisy environment so I don't hear it all the time but it's always there.

Like you say the same songs over and over and over...

oldsurferdude likes this.