Classic Rock FM Radio Sucks Big Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, Nov 7, 2019.

1. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

More often than not the same individuals that were at the concerts (at least that is how it was during FM radios formative years...

Certain people were drawn to the DJs personality along with the music he or she chose to play during their time slot...

Furthermore most "groupie's" were also "dancers"...

FWIW Johnny Fever was a gabby boisterous A.M. jockey & a pale imitation of the original hip cool FM DJs...

Venus Flytrap was a better image of the FM jockey...

The RocknRoll community of the early- mid 1970s was a very close knit family indeed

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 6:46 PM
  2. rockclassics

rockclassics Forum Resident

Or his girlfriend came by at the same time every evening.

ARK and BackScratcher like this.
  3. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I consider myself lucky to live in a decent city for radio.

We do have the godawful "classic rock" stations that play the same damn AeroZeppelin/DCEaglesPettyJourney usual suspects, but there's some good stations if you seek them out.

One in Louisville is 91.9 WFPK. The local NPR station. A must for people who love music and aren't afraid of the "now" as well. Probably 60-70% alternative with another 10-15% singer-songwriter, 10-15% older/classic and about 5% hip hop/r&b, but still, something that appeals to music lovers and also has a "classic rock" show every Saturday for three hours.

This was the lineup for last week
    4:00pm Liar/Argent
    4:03pm My Generation/The Who
    4:07pm Crazy Feeling/Lou Reed
    4:10pm San Tropez/Pink Floyd
    4:14pm Reach Out I'll Be There/Four Tops
    4:17pm Absolutely Sweet Marie/Bob Dylan
    4:22pm The Unknown Soldier/The Doors
    4:27pm Jungleland/Bruce Springsteen
    4:37pm Jungle Love/Steve Miller Band
    4:40pm Presence of the Lord/Blind Faith
    4:45pm Shanghai Noodle Factory/Traffic
    4:51pm TVC15/David Bowie
    4:56pm It Came Out of the Sky/Creedence Clearwater Revival
    5:01pm Outside Woman Blues/Cream
    5:03pm Thunderwing/T. Rex
    5:08pm Getting Better/The Beatles
    5:11pm Only People/John Lennon
    5:14pm Ooh Baby/Terry Reid
    5:19pm Join Together/The Who
    5:23pm Gallows Pole/Led Zeppelin
    5:30pm Time/Pink Floyd
    5:36pm 200 Years Old/Frank Zappa
    5:42pm The Blues Had a Baby and They Named It Rock and Roll/Muddy Waters
    5:45pm The Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil/Jefferson Airplane
    5:50pm Aimless Lady/Grand Funk Railroad
    5:54pm (The System of) Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether/The Alan Parsons Project
    6:00pm Go Now/The Moody Blues
    6:03pm Looking for Somebody/Fleetwood Mac
    6:06pm Get Down, Make Love/Queen
    6:10pm I Feel Free/Cream
    6:13pm Midnight Train to Georgia/Gladys Knight & The Pips
    6:18pm Whipping Post/The Allman Brothers Band
    6:23pm One Way Out/The Allman Brothers Band
    6:30pm Hungry / Eric Clapton
    6:35pm I Ain't Superstitious / Jeff Beck
    6:40pm Knife-Edge / Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    6:45pm What About Me? / Quicksilver Messenger Service
    6:53pm Song On the Radio / Al Stewart

"Time" being the only one that is oversaturated on mainstream classic rock radio (maybe My Generation too but not to the same degree), but he will just as well play something off Obscured By Clouds or Animals. Granted, he does play some stuff that isn't necessarily "classic rock", Gladys Knight being a core case, but usually always worth a listen. For the longest time he implemented "nothing after Lennon's death" though he's laxed a little bit and now goes up until 1984 or 1985 or so. But again, WFPK plays a lot of Prince, U2, REM, Talking Heads, Cure, etc... in their regular programming so its not like 80s music isn't spoken for on the station.

4. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

It always amazes me how utterly repetitive these stations can be even over time.

Since the iPod, I never listen to the radio, but when I was in high school and college we used to listen to this one station at work all the time.

20 years later, for some reason I put on that station and within 2 songs it was the same stuff -- still!!

5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

College radio.

ARK likes this.
  6. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Heavy on the grease please

Brutal. Just brutal.

7. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Forum Resident

Our economic system rewards consolidation and fosters the monopolization of entire sectors through things like the Telecommunications Act of 1996, which allowed iHeartMedia (formerly Clear Channel) to own 855 radio stations nationwide. (It owned more than 1,200 in 2002.)

The reason most radio stations sound largely the same is because they are largely the same, by design.

8. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Heavy on the grease please

I've heard this is the case too. If it's true then it's based on extremely flawed logic which is unfortunate. It's actually killing these stations, but then as posters have mentioned, the cartels that own these stations due to '96 Act probably write losses off to get tax breaks.

As I understand it, where I live the only stations that make profit are the ones that play country. Not sure I buy that either but that's what the DJs are told. I say I doubt it b/c all of these stations have plenty of advertising and automation has reduced staff to nothing. I bet they all "make money," mainly because Payola is still a thing and no one would be bribing people if it didn't matter.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

"...Chose to play"? Ahh, sure, that was it...outside of the larger markets where image was key to success, and stations were sophisticated enough to understand that, what they were instructed to play was still a dance between the Program Director and the labels, no matter what the public perceived about who was in charge. The smaller the market, the more the influence of the indie promoter and the consultant, than actual programming staff. But as always, focus was paid to the music that kept the listener from flipping the station. Deejay identification with a station was important to keep them from getting happy fingers during the commercial breaks, but the jocks were paid by the size of the market, commensurate to the power they held over their listeners impressions about how important they were to the playlist.

Like everybody on teevee, "Dr Johnny Fever" was a gabby boisterous character that was more accurate to the expectations of viewers of the teleplay, than the less-charismatic "hip cool FM DJ's" of the reality in any market - and more likely to be the sort found in most markets, frankly, trying anything they could to get noticed, while consultants, programmers and management tried their best to keep them acting normal and less-charismatic, to let the music do its' talking for the image of the station, and forcing the jock to become a valuable enough player in the formula as to make him expensive to replace, as well as hold on to. In medium-to-small markets especially, these lame wackos had to rely on their own inflated self-image to keep them persisting in breaking-through while suits would command them to read liner cards, until they could finally land a gig in larger cities where they might finally subsist above the level of Ramen-and-Yogurt diets while justifying their career choices to their families.

How to succeed in radio? Step 1: Don't try to be a star, it's heart-breaking, soul-crushing, and if you're lucky you'll only succeed long enough to realize how little money there is in it for most of them, before you eventually take a gig selling cars for one of your clients. Or, Step 2: already be a success in radio, and watch your back to prevent anybody else finding out how much you're making, and don't encourage anybody else to follow in your footsteps, all the while keeping in the good graces of the General Manager, and help him make the money off those car dealer clients. Better option: Step 3: be a salesman, whoring-out your station for the car dealer client, which will teach you enough about Sales that you can take that experience someplace where you may actually use your b.s. skills to finally make some money...and, "Time Spent Listening" be damned; it may make you better commissions in the short run when the ratings come out, but your real gold is in keeping the relationships with your clients, when your whoring-out starts to kill the ratings of your own station.

Notice how little of this has anything to do with music, let alone a wider variety of music, like they promise on those little blurbs in-between either "Oye Como Va" or "Evil Ways", whenever the jock promises "a little Santana"...

10. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter

Brutal. And depressing.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:14 PM
  11. Dillydipper

Tell me I'm wrong.

12. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

There were zero "program directors" until early 1976 so DJs pulled & played what they desired, after the corporate takeovers everything fun & exciting about working F.M. radio turned for the worst...

Now instead of driving to a trailer parked by your broadcast tower you were now driving to a downtown office building with a guard shack...

The process really was a hostile takeover, the rot began to set in during 1973 after the release of Pink Floyd / DSOTM...

Furthermore the station I spun music for was a very large market in its day

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:40 PM
    team2 likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

I'm sorry, what...?

14. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

Even satellite radio were you can drill down to whatever niche you are into is extremely repetitive. Listen tomorrow and you will here the same songs you heard today. And with some bands, it's every hour. GnR is a good band and all but they ain't good enough that I need to hear it every hour. They've become the automatic que to station flip for me.

Natvecal. and Jmac1979 like this.
  15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Irony being most of those songs will make the average person reach for the dial.

I don't even listen to radio much, just when driving (I have a 30 min commute to work) but even in that slight amount of time, I hear enough of the same crap to not embrace classic rock radio. Anyone who spends more than 5 mins near a radio would be sick of it

16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Yes. GNR is a perfect example. I can't tolerate any of their big hits anymore because of what radio has done. "You Could Be Mine" possibly the exception but it hasn't been run to the ground the way the three big Appetite singles or November Rain have been.

17. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Forum Resident

This thread underscores the fact we here at SHF are outliers when it comes to most all things music... I don't know anyone who listens to radio with the occasional exception of the occasional NPR or sports/talk radio listener. Most people stream music or listen to podcasts. I'd bet that terrestrial radio is irrelevant to most people. Hell - all of the station presets on my car stereo are blank. I never use the tuner.

The only complaints I hear regarding radio are about public radio station pledge drives being too long.

uzn007 likes this.
  18. MikeM

MikeM Forum Resident

Goes to demonstrate exactly what I said — that the people in this forum are not in any way, shape or form representative of the "average" radio listener. If you actually think that you fit this definition, then you need to get out more.

The "dial" the average person will reach for when one of these songs comes on is the volume dial — and they'll turn it up.

CousinCheebo and No Static like this.
  19. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

But like I said, I don't listen to THAT much radio, just when driving (and mostly just listening to NPR music, but I do flip quite often to see what's on)... and I hear the same tired stuff on the classic rock stations, I could only imagine what someone who is listening to it at work must think if even I can no longer stand certain songs because of hearing it too much. There are so many great songs I can no longer listen to thanks to classic rock pillaging them to the point there's literally nothing to enjoy anymore

Classic rock stations should literally implement "no repeat weeks", there's enough out there they could play without going for the same song twice in a 7 day period

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 12:14 AM
  20. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)

I haven’t listened to radio in 20 years. I turned my back on them and I have never relied on them for anything other than to provide me with the occasional annoyance from some loser blasting Pink or Justin Bieber from their car.

21. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I’m just amazed this is an even a issue. If it’s the actual FM radio format that you want then simply plug in your phone, find a radio station online that still does things the right way, internet radio is a thing and click to hear it. Problem solved. The only station I ever put on in the car is NPR. Why limit myself to whatever stations Sacramento offers me when if it’s radio I want I can now listen to the best stations in the country or world on my phone. Corporate radio as we know it now is for waiting rooms, restaurants, grocery stores, and office background music.

CousinCheebo and phillyal1 like this.
  22. MikeM

MikeM Forum Resident

You're missing the point.

YOU are not the "average person." Your original statement that "most of those songs will make the average person reach for the dial" is false.

Your suggestion above might please YOU greatly, but it would make the Classic Rock station that tried it lose listenership.

23. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Forum Resident

So much great local ready around me that i have not flipped to my local FM Rock radio in years. It's the same songs over and over. No need for it anymore.

24. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

The audience demographics of classic rock is aging out of the under-50 age group that advertisers prefer. There might not be any broadcast classic rock stations in the future. So, enjoy it or not while it's still here.

Grant likes this.
  25. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter