Classic Saturday Night Live Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

... and Joyce DeWitt became "Joyce de 1/2 Half Wit":

I think it's safe to say the "SCTV" folks didn't like "Three's Company"! :shh:

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, the Joyce DeWitt one is a parody of a specific, particularly inane commercial. I don't think it has much to do with her being on Three's Company. If Mary Tyler Moore or Marilu Henner (or anyone else who appeared on an intelligent TV show of the time) had done that commercial, I think they might have gone after them too:

But yes, I agree that Three's Company was poorly regarded. It was a throwback... lowbrow comedy predicated on silly misunderstandings and pratfalls (a la The Lucy Show) but with an overlay of sexual innuendo to modernize it. It's not surprising the writers and casts of SCTV (and likely SNL too, at least during the first five seasons) looked down upon it

3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

This is from the 1978-79 season. And all I can think of is, they probably would never have done this after 12/8/1980. Blowing people up was okay though!

4. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Laraine Newman started a live chat on her Instagram last week and coincidentally enough I asked her what it was like to work with John Ritter (which she did in Problem Child 2). Of course she said he was amazing, funny, nice, can't say enough good things about him.

I had a college professor who showed a Three's Company clip in class and said it was a perfect example of burlesque comedy.

I think physical comedies were often looked down on and considered low-class, not sophisticated or for children...Three Stooges, Gilligan's Island, Three's Company, Perfect Strangers. But, ironically, these are some of the comedies that have stayed the most timeless, been the most well-remembered and kept the biggest fan bases. The "issue-oriented" comedies of the 1970s have become dated and the family values comedies of the '80s have become too bland. There's clearly an art behind the type of comedy in the "sillier" shows that they excelled at, which others tried to replicate and failed to do at the same level. You can't watch Three's Company without seeing that they raised the level of comedic misunderstanding to an artform like no other show ever had. Kramer on Seinfeld and Jim Carrey seemed to rehabilitate the idea of physical comedy to some degree in the mind of critics, or at least made it so they're not so willing to fight against the public sentiment that loves it anymore.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    hi_watt likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Yeah, I get that - I knew the DeWitt TV ad at the time.

Obviously the spoof of that pantyhose commercial isn't focused on DeWitt's "Three's Company" persona like the other sketches go after Ritter and Somers, respectively.

But I'm not sure I agree "SCTV" would've lampooned the ad if they'd respected the actor in it. Not that "SCTV" didn't make fun of people/films/shows/etc. they respected, of course, but there was a nastiness to the depiction of the "Three's Company" actors usually absent.

Like I said, I always felt surprised how mean-spirited "Shoot at the Stars" seemed. The Catherine O'Hara character is funny but the rest is just too crass for my liking...

6. Oatsdad

Even pre-Lennon's assassination, I thought the sketch was awfully dark.

Of course, you could legitimately argue "Shoot at the Stars" meant to mock the downward slope US TV was on, and that's probably the intention of the skit.

But the skit also kinda implies the 3 stars involved deserved to be shot! :eek:

It might've seemed less nasty if they'd not so openly denigrated Ritter, Charo and Robert Goulet...

7. Oatsdad

The issue people had with "Three's Company" wasn't Ritter's pratfalls: it was the smirking, adolescent view of sex and the way it played on sexual topics.

"Three's Company" seems intensely dated now in a number of ways. It's not aged well at all!

8. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I don't think the issue was the sexually themed humor per se. I think intellectually minded critics just considered the show beneath them, based on everything about it, including the double entendres, the physical comedy, the "airhead" characters, the plots based on misunderstandings, the lack of any meaningful themes. But the comedy in the show is not dated at all. The premise is obviously dated because "living in sin" is not an issue any more, but if you watch it as a period piece for the era it's in, the comedy still works as well as it ever did. Of course, if you didn't like it then, you won't like it now either. And the fact that it was completely non-issue oriented was ahead of its time. Seinfeld proved that people wanted to watch a show about nothing. Jerry bragged that his show was not out to teach any lessons or even have much of a plot. Three's Company was another show like that, and that's why it had a more successful and longer life in reruns than shows like The Mary Tyler Moore Show and All in the Family. The premise of young adults living as roommates has also become even more popular over the years, especially relative to family-based sitcoms. And of course, as already mentioned, John Ritter has become a comedic legend, and it's still largely based on Three's Company. People also still think very highly of Norman Fell and Don Knotts, and Suzanne Somers is still almost unparalleled as a sexy starlet. And although Hollywood may be less inclined to cast that kind of sex symbol these days, audiences still want to see that kind of woman as much as ever. The show has had one of the most successful afterlifes of any 1970s sitcom. Burlesque comedy material has always been looked down upon by the elites. But raunchy comedy with sexy ladies on the stage appeals to the mass audience at a very basic level that will probably never go out of style. Three's Company married that sensibility to the sitcom format in a particularly brilliant way.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I would not describe Three's Company as "ahead of its time." It was more of a throwback to the wacky style of TV comedy in the 60s predicated on slapstick and silly misunderstandings, and characters behaving like idiots. What made it seem modern were the sex jokes, but other than that it would have fit right into 1966. It was a textbook low comedy, really nothing new.

I think one reason it's been more popular in syndication than some other shows is that it was more popular when it first ran, also. Mary Tyler Moore for example never got higher than #7 overall in the ratings (in season 3), whereas Three's Company had several years where it was a top five show. Low comedy is always popular and never really goes out of style. And shows that are not topical have always had a place on TV, even when topical shows were at their peak in the 70s.

Oatsdad likes this.
  10. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I finished season 14 on Peacock and it's still my favorite season of SNL. This was the start of so many classic sketches that SNL would use for years, and the writers were great at writing great sketches specifically for the hosts whoever they were: Leslie Nielsen, Mary Tyler Moore, John Malkovich, and even odd ones like Dolly Parton and Melanie Griffith. They even managed to give Wayne Gretzky some sketches that he was able to be funny in. The Mel Gibson episode is my favorite SNL episode and every sketch in it still makes me laugh and they didn't even include "As World Turn".

It looks like things might get weirder with Peacock's editing of season 15. The Bruce Willis episode had edits that put us in the middle and ends of sketches like the end of Sprockets with Jimmy Stewert. I thought they had skipped including Sprockets in the previous season because Ralf Hütter would sue them for the theme song, but we hear it at the end of the Sprockets sketch they cut to. If that's not odd enough, they included long commercial bumpers (some thirty seconds long) of the band playing. I remember this was common back then when the show needed to fill time, but they serve no purpose now.

hi_watt, 905 and OldSoul like this.
  11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

It's a shame they don't have the Real World sketch from the Shannen Doherty episode in circulation. It's stayed very relevant. With reality shows so prevalent (is Real World the most influential TV show of all time?), the way that sketch underlines the vapidness of their content and the way the people are manipulated to create drama is still so true. And the way every character is constantly calling the other characters racist was WAY ahead of its time. That's become normal, mainstream behavior now among far too many people.

The whole Shannen Doherty episode is a real gem. They also have the "date rape" game show where they highlight the absurdity of the "speech codes" that colleges were putting out in terms of how people are supposed to consent to sex. Again, that's only become more relevant as that kind of insanity has spread into state law in some places now. This one also has The Denise Show sketch where Shannen shows up. That was a weird sketch in the sense that it kept being about Shannen even on later episodes that she wasn't on. It's got the all too prophetic "Relapse Guy" sketch starring Chris Farley. And a great self-skewering monologue by Shannen poking fun at her "bad girl" image. Also a good Operaman open and the great Crystal Gravy commercial.

I still have tons of episodes to catch up on but as I jump around I think the early '90s is still my favorite era of the show. It's hard to go wrong when you had Carvey, Hartman, Myers and Farley on at the same time. And 1992 showed it in the ratings by getting the highest numbers since the 1970s, and reaching a peak the show would never hit again.

hi_watt, MarkTheShark and Warzawa like this.
  12. I can't disagree with that. My respect for Ritter came much later.

13. I'll take Barney Miller, Taxi and WKRP over shows like Three Company any day. I may be in a small minority, but IMO, age did no favors to Threes Company (or the Lucy Show for that matter).

music4life and carrick doone like this.
  14. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

I remember that episode when it first aired, makes me wish i still had my VHS tapes of SNL Episodes , the Denise show was great and anything Chris Farley was in was gold.

15. Oatsdad

The series was intensely "70s" and now seems badly out of date in its attitudes.

All that smirky humor about Jack supposedly being gay and other stuff that's socially awkward - at best - now.

The notion that "3C" was "ahead of its time" because it wasn't "issue oriented" perplexes me. Until the 70s, most - all? - TV comedies weren't "issue oriented"!

It was a novelty when shows like "All in the Family" started to push that way.

Unless you think "Bewitched" and "Gilligan's Island" were hard-hitting and socially relevant?

You clearly really like "3C", but don't make it out to be more than what it was: a very 70s mix of low-brow humor and slapstick that seems extremely "of its era"...

r2rcollector, czeskleba and Dan C like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Exactly. The notion that "3C" is timeless perplexes me, as it's a prime example of 70s comedy.

I thought it'd aged poorly when I reviewed in in 2004, so I doubt anything's changed in the last 17 years:

Three's Company: Season One (1977)

carrick doone and Pete Puma like this.
  17. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I think evaluating Three's Company is less about my personal opinion than it is about recognizing that it's stayed just about the most popular 1970s sitcom and trying to explain why. Go to the Sitcoms Online forums, and it is the most discussed show in their 1970s section:

1970s Sitcoms - Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums

That's only one measure, but it's also got more votes on IMDB than some other shows people mentioned (Taxi, Barney Miller, MTM, etc.). It does have less votes than Happy Days and All in the Family, but probably not too many others. Its rating is lower than many of those shows, but I'm just using vote totals as a measure of awareness/popularity of the show. The show, like Gilligan's Island, has always had a tough time with critics. But both have improved their position with critics over the years.

I would argue that Happy Days is a much more dated show than Three's Company. It's still popular for nostalgia and the fact that Fonz is still an iconic character. But its style of acting and comedy is much more "of its era" than Three's Company's is. Three's has more naturalistic and believable characterization, while Happy Days is more campy. Also, 1950s nostalgia has fallen out of fashion.

Yes, shows were non-issue-oriented and sillier before the 1970s, but Three's Company combined that with the "swinging singles" situation and sexual innuendo the 1960s shows never dreamed about. And after the family values shows of the '80s faded out, shows about singles in the dating world have dominated since the '90s. So the type of characters Three's Company portrayed are still relevant to modern audiences.

It's never been competing with highbrow shows, but like Stooges and Gilligan's, I think the show still works very well for the same lowbrow audience it was
    always going for.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  18. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

The good news is that the strange editing of the first episode of season 15 didn't carry into subsequent Peacock episodes which are all normal. It shows that there's no Q.C. in whoever is behind these things.

The Kathleen Turner episode is only fifteen minutes long! There are absolutely no sketches included in this Peacock episode. It's just the intro and Weekend Update. I guess no one liked "Plug Away with Harvey Fierstein" since probably no one remembers who he is, and I guess "Egg Man" was a bit too weird for a single joke ("It's a little egg dude!"), and no sexy 555-TOON commercial.

19. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

The Denise Show had a great run too, with Adam Sandler becoming more disturbing in every episode. I think it led to the great sketch "Stalk Talk" in which stalkers talk about their ex-girlfriends, oops, I mean present girlfriends and how they're just going through a phase because they're meant to be together forever.

Matthew Tate and Warzawa like this.
  20. Oatsdad

I give up.

If you wanna believe "3C" is timeless classic that's not aged since the 70s and that blazed trails we still feel today... rock on, rock star!

Pete Puma and r2rcollector like this.
  21. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

R79 likes this.
  22. R79

R79 Forum Resident

I wonder if Jack Handey (of Deep Thoughts fame) wrote that sketch. It's the type of absurdist humor he was good at (and on that note, I wish I could find "An insane idiot and his collection of descending-size deer heads". It was the craziest sketch that cracked me up, but AFAIK, it's nowhere to be seen online).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Handey is known for creating Toonces. He's also credited as writer of the Toonces TV special (sold as Toonces and Friends on VHS). I think Handey's trademark is non-topical sketches featuring almost cartoon-ready characters like cats, aliens, cowboys, robots, puppets, cavemen, etc. I think he wrote the Happy Fun Ball and Yard-A-Pult fake ads also.

Someone posted basically every SNL episode on the Internet Archive last year and they still sit there. So if you google any sketch you can probably find out what episode it's from and then find it under this user's profile. Just click his name, SNLFan, near the bottom of this page to see all his videos. This is the "deer head" episode:

Saturday Night Live S18E11 - Harvey Keitel : SNL : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

R79 likes this.
  24. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I'm going through season 15 and while it's not as even as the previous season (Quincy Jones hosted?), the Tom Hanks/Aerosmith episode has to be among the best SNL episodes ever. I remember guys on Usenet (what passed for the Internet back then) saying that they hated Wayne's World so much that as soon as they saw the Aurora, Illinois cable on the screen they would hit the mute button, but even they admitted they thought Aerosmith on Wayne's World was hilarious.

OldSoul likes this.
  25. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

My dad used to say he "hated these guys" when Wayne's World came on. I think he laughed at them sometimes though.

I just rewatched the first Roseanne episode. Wanted to see the Misery II sketch again. It's so well-written, they just had a perfect understanding of how their own show was perceived to do a little self-parody of it along with the Misery parody. And the Comedy Killers game show was ingenious, like someone took a bet that they could get laughs with cancer, child abuse, etc. and found a way to do it. Then you have Roseanne and Tom Arnold reacting to Victoria and Chris playing them in a TV movie of the week. And the second Pat episode with Pat's "significant other" "Chris." This was a time when you tuned in knowing you would see something worth talking about on Monday morning.

Matthew Tate likes this.