'Classic Track' for discussion: 'Mr. Tambourine Man' - The Byrds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Aug 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

YIKES!!:( not to get of the subject off the song but Steve that *IS* nuts!

All I was thinking after reading your post earlier that he also did a lot of the Paul Revere and The Raiders songs if my memory is right on that too.

Gosh just think what would have happened if he had signed him to a contract. Terry would probably wanted to kill himself just trying to make the recordings sound BAD.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

I thought that this is the way it 'went down'. Those were indeed crazy times...

Bob:)

3. Beatle Terr

I think he was just the crazy one along with his crazy sick gang, I wouldn't blame it so much on the time or era Bob. PEACE and LOVE were more of the era of the times for the most part.

I'd remember Vietnam more than I would Manson IMHO as the crazy times. Again sorry to get off the subject of the song and The Byrds.:)

4. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Well, we can rule out Manson as the tambourine player! :laugh:

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If I recall correctly, Manson knew that Terry Melcher didn't live there anymore at the time of the murders, although he did pick the house because of Melcher's connection with it.

6. I always thought that they killed Tate because they mistook her for
    Melcher's blonde at-the-time-girlfriend Candice Bergen.

- - -

Correct me if I am mistaken, guys, but I thought
    there was an earlier stereo mix of this song
    with the instruments on one side and the vocals on the other.

- - -

Is the Razor & Tie comp still in print anywhere??

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Are the session players still collecting income from these recordings?

Jim W.

8. Beatle Terr

Re: Re: 'Classic Track' for discussion: 'Mr. Tambourine Man' - The Byrds

NO WAY Jim, they got paid for their session time and that's it I'm sure. While Dylan and The Byrds I'm sure still make though as well as Columbia or CBS records do and BMI or ASCAP.

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

That's a shame (about the session players), Beatle Terr.

10. Beatle Terr

Yep Jim that's one way to look at, at the same time the session player gets paid for all of their work.

There was no promise made to them that The Byrds or Mr. Tambourine Man would have been the hit that it turned out to be.

That would be like saying Eric Clapton gets royalties for playing on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from The White Album.

It's just part of the business. Some players don't even bother to get paid at all if they happen to be friends of the group or just happen to be in the studio and get a chance to play on any given track.

Most session people belong to their local unions and the more sessions they play, the more well known they get and the more money they also end up making. I guess you can say it's sort of a double edged sword if you want the work.:)

11. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

That was "Turn, Turn, Turn" that "turned" up in in a vocals on one channel/instruments on the right channel stereo mix.

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Indeed, he had visited the house himself some time before sending out Tex Watson and the gang to murder anyone who was there. IIRC, he had been looking for Melcher one afternoon but was told he either wasn't around or no longer lived there. Very likely Sharon Tate exchanged glances with the man who would later order her killed. Who was killed was irrelevant to Manson; he ordered the gang to kill anyone who was around, which was why a teenager visiting the caretaker(who lived in a cottage behind the main house)was killed first before his car could leave the driveway.

ED:cool:

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Can someone tell me more about the "Changing Times" CD??

14. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

This old thread should answer most of your questions ... but good luck finding a copy ... it was a TV CD that didn't sell well and was quickly deleted according to my sources.

BTW, good job Bob :thumbsup: :) .

15. Bob Lovely

Chip,

Thanks for your comment! I am making this discussion of 'classic tracks' a regular Sunday Forum feature.

Who knows what I will conjure up for next Sunday?

Bob;)

16. Beatle Terr

I hope to find it interesting Bob to participate again, as I said I love to learn about recordings that I have know idea existed other than in this case the mono hit version.

Plus the fact that there are so many different versions or remasters.

Best of all finding out stuff like studio cats actually played on the track instead of the actual band members.

Makes things interesting for me and others, it's always cool to share this type of info. You're TOP NOTCH in my book.:thumbsup: :cool: :D :)

17. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Great thread Bob. According to Dylan, the "inspiration" for "Mr. Tambourine Man" was guitarist Bruce Langhorne. Langhorne played on several Dylan sessions produced by Tom Wilson. On one occasion, Wilson asked Langhorne to play tambourine and Langhorne brought out a hugh tambourine. As Dylan described in the "Biograph" liner notes: "It was big, as big as a wagon wheel. He was playing and this vision of him playing just stuck in my mind."

18. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

This hasn't been mentioned yet. The song was originally only available in mono or cheesy channeled stereo. Then "Never Before" brought out a stereo mix from the 3 track. This mix was recreated for the Box Set. Then came the newest mix from the 8-track which surfaced in "Mr. Tambourine Man" - the album.

19. Bob Lovely

David, John,

Thanks the the additional info and the comments.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Three track, John.

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Bob,
    You are so transparent that we all know. I can see the subject header already in my mind's eye:

'Classic Track' for discussion: 'Mr. Tambourine Man' - William Shatner

;)

Regards,

22. Bob Lovely

Trying to steal my thunder eh?:laugh:

Actually, the Leonard Nimoy version is more compelling!

I am still thinking 'bout this coming Sunday's track....

23. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

After reviewing this thread, Bob, please don't choose "Helter Skelter."

mud-:D

24. Bob Lovely

Good tip Mud!

Bob:D

25. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

If you do the Whip Lady will be sent your way.

mud-:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.