'Classic Track' for discussion: 'Mr. Tambourine Man' - The Byrds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Aug 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Thanks for the warning!

Bob:D

2. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I was expecting a correction here. ;)

I'll go back to the drawing board and check my sources.

3. Bob Lovely

Ringo does not know, BTW!

4. John B

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll get you for that!

5. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Is it true only McGuinn & Crosby sing on the record?

6. Bob Lovely

My sources do not list the vocalists specifically. Perhaps, someone else knows.

Bob:)

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

This:

from here:

http://ebni.com/byrds/lpmtm.html

mud-

8. Bob Lovely

Good work Mud!

9. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Session lizards

The Leon Russell keyboard part sounds like he's playing the lower keys (left side) of an electric piano--maybe an early Fender Rhodes or its precursor. The rhythm guitar sounds like a Telecaster played through a Fender amp.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Bob,
    Are there two version of "Chartbusters Volume 2" from Ace. I have one called "Chartbusters USA Volume 2" that has Mr. Tambourine Man, but I don't think it is mono.

Regards,

11. Bob Lovely

Ken,

I played the version on that disc on my main system, through headphones and in the car in prep for this thread and it sure sounds like Mono to me. I even played the track through my outboard CD recorder and the channel levels match (a sure sign of Mono) as I monitored through headphones. Further, I synced up the Stereo mix mastered by Steve on one CDP and played the Ace version on my CD recorder and these mixes sound 'completely' different as described in my initial post in this thread. The track is not annotated as Mono on the Ace comp. however and I have noted that, on occasion, this happens with Ace comps.

Bob

12. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

??G?ginally posted by David Powell [/i]
    According to Dylan, the "inspiration" for "Mr. Tambourine Man" was guitarist Bruce Langhorne. Langhorne played on several Dylan sessions produced by Tom Wilson. On one occasion, Wilson asked Langhorne to play tambourine and Langhorne brought out a hugh tambourine. As Dylan described in the "Biograph" liner notes: "It was big, as big as a wagon wheel. He was playing and this vision of him playing just stuck in my mind." [/QUOTE]

Langhorne, who played a Martin acoustic guitar with a pickup on it (often through a Fender amp he borrowed from Sandy Bull), plays tambourine on the second Richard and Mimi Farina album, and he also plays tambourine on "Baby Don't You Get Crazy" from John Sebastian's first solo album.

JD

13. Ken_McAlinden

It sounds very narrow, but not quite mono to me. I thought it might have slight fake stereo processing applied. I definitely agree that it does not sound like any other stereo version I have heard. [pause while Ken finds it and rips it to disc]. The waveform looks very close, but not quite the same, too. Here's a picture:

Attached Files:

• mtm.jpg
      mtm.jpg
      File size:
      46.8 KB
      Views:
  14. Bob Lovely

Ken,

As I stare at that with these old eyes, I do not see any differences!:laugh:

I do trust my ears because they still function pretty effectively. I listened to that version over and over and I just cannot hear any Stereo effect - real or processed...

Bob

15. Bob Lovely

Ken,

I should add that in prep for these 'classic track' threads I record a CD-R containing different versions of the track. Then I play them sequentially to analyze the mastering differences...

Bob

16. Ken_McAlinden

Okay, here's a 5 second snippet where it's a bit easier to see. It's really subtle by ear, but you can hear one channel favoring the tambourine, which makes me think they steered the high frequencies somewhat.

Regards,

Attached Files:

17. Bob Lovely

Ken,

Interesting. There would appear to be slightly more high frequency information in one channel. Certainly, I cannot hear separation. Here is one theory for us to consider and Steve knows about this all too well. It is possible that the Mono mix was used but, that the track was mastered on a Stereo machine. If this ocurred, the track would be out-of-phase which, might account for the differences by channel. I am not aware of any Stereo mix with the sound of this mix.

Bob

18. Ken_McAlinden

Agreed. It definitely sounds more like a mono mix with something slightly funny going on than like any stereo mix I have heard of this song.

Regards,

19. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I've been following your discussion with interest because I have a mix of "Mr. Tambourine Man" from Castle (U.K.) that sounded mono through the speakers but through the headphones I detected very slight separation. It doesn't sound like repositioning frequencies to me, but just a very, very, slight separation. The 12 string sounds just ever so slightly off center to the left, the bass, tambourine, and drums dead center, and the vocals just a touch off center to the right. I want to say I've heard an example of this type of mix before, but I can't remember where or what.

20. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

"Mr. Tambourine Man" was remixed twice. The first time, it was remixed from the THREE track tape (which is all they had) for the 1990 Box Set.

PS....during this search, an "alternate" stereo mix of MTM was found, but it was puky, with seperated drums and one guitar but everything else centered. It is thought that this was a "work" mix of some kind and that it was never intended to be released at the time it was made. Somehow, this mix WAS released on a few comps.

In the mid '90s it was discovered that the three track tape was a reduction mix from an Eight track tape. This Eight track tape was found by record producer Clark Enslin in Nashville and sold back to Sony. Sony then remixed MTM from this 8 track tape for the Cd version of the MTM LP, and I'm pretty sure it made it onto the "20 Essential Tracks" Cd.

The full remix of MTM is mind blowing. Thats the way the song should have sounded in the first place, and thats the only version I listen to now.

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Genuine news. Thanks, Mikey. This is the mix on my RAZOR & TIE comp/ by the way...

22. John B

At least you were right about Ringo and the mallets. ;)

23. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Just curious, is this the version that was used on the Greatest Hits SACD as well? I would imagine so, since it was prepared after the MTM reissue CD was done ...

24. RetroSmith

Any time Steve. I do not have your Cd with MTM but I would sure love to hear it. I know it will sound the best.

Boy does Hal Blaine play some great stuff on MTM......

25. RetroSmith

MTM

>>>>Excellent question Jeff. Wish I knew, because if it IS, I need to buy it!!!

My guess is "Of Course", why WOULDNT they use the best sounding version of MTM for the SACD, I mean thats the whole point.

Mikey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.