Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

It's missing from Ruggiero Ricci universal Italia box, the virtuoso (2017), it's is missing also from scribendum box, where you can find a lot of American recordings. The eloquence box is insanely expensive (on amazon) and there are a lot of duplicates with the virtuoso box! I download it from the web in lossless format and burned the CD! :D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    croquetlawns likes this.
  2. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

3. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

tvstrategies likes this.
  4. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I also realized that I had bought the "Carmen" within a few weeks twice. Once within a Domingo box set and the second copy with the Abbado set.

For the Serkin, you only "need" the album with Rostropovich and a two disk set titled "The Incomparable Rudolf Serkin" to be complete.

5. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Torran and shicorp like this.
  6. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I think this means 1ST of December 2023. I guess the date will change in due time - unless the set makes it to the same loop which the Jessye Norman one is in. But honestly, UMG? Why make the Ansermet set 88 disks? Not 87 or 89. I think this is not a good idea.

I guess UMG's schedule is now more than full for the rest of the year. I just wonder if Sony will come up with one of their sets in the last quarter. More Ormandy? Leinsdorf? Fiedler? Stokowski?

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

JPC always uses DD/MM/YY, as is common in Europe.

kundryishot, croquetlawns and Torran like this.
  8. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Naturally I had also the Rostropovich complete Dg ad one of the other two....:D

9. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

I thought so, but, as ake said, It didn't make sense....No problem for me, I'm not going to buy this boxset....I'm waiting for the I Musici one, and, also in this case, the date is uncertain...

10. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Unfortunately, like many of us, I have more music than I will be able to listen to in the rest of my life ...:shake::shake::shake:

zarzuela, Martinu, cws and 3 others like this.
  11. Martin H

Martin H Forum Resident

Can I commend a less comprehensive set (12 cds, available around half the above price) with many of the greatest exponents of his works. Diapason's Discotheque Ideale set is all vintage recordings, mostly 50s or 60s, with even a few pre-World War 2. but as I found as I explored the rep, such recordings of small scale works in that era still sound good today and I ran out of superlatives for the performances - the quartets, for instance, range through the Busch, Amadeus, Guarneri, Hollywood, Pro Arte and Budapest, while the pianists include Rubinstein, Serkin, Curzon, and Fischer.

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

My Boulez ring cycle blu rays arrived today.

I put on the first disc of the DVD and listened to the PCM audio (CD quality) for a while - maybe 10 minutes.

Then put in the first blu ray disc.

First surprise is that there is a noticeable improvement in the picture quality. It's still not very good compared to modern productions shot in HD. But most of the video artefacts are gone, so it's much improved.

Both the blu ray 24 bit PCM stereo and the 5.1 DTS-HD sound lots better than the old DVD track. Still not the greatest recording - stage noises, and vocal volume changes at times, but again significantly improved as far as I'm concerned.

As I've posted here in the past, I'm now a huge fan of opera on DVD and blu ray. You usually get CD audio quality (a stereo PCM) on the DVDs, and blu rays usually have hi-res stereo and a lossless 5.1 (just adding hall ambience). Not only do you also get a visual, but the subtitles make it easy to follow what is sung. And even better, when you shop for bargains, the DVD/blu ray of an opera is often much cheaper than the CD set.

jsb!, arley, Matt Richardson and 6 others like this.
  13. trix

trix Forum Resident

New acquisition ;)

What I like about those Warner boxes is that even small boxes, such as this one, have original jackets :)

[​IMG]

14. cws

cws Forum Resident

Scott Ross is wonderful. Enjoy!

Joerg-Maria, AJCinBrooklyn and trix like this.
  15. trix

trix Forum Resident

Pity that he died so young.
    Imagine how many more recordings he could have made!

cws and Fredarc like this.
  16. spn

spn Forum Resident

I would like to take this back. Okay, the 2nd is underplayed, but I’ve relistened to all of Jansons’s Mahler now and it is the only one of the 9 that I don’t really understand. Everything else is marvelous.

Seriously, no matter what the guy with the YouTube channel said, the Jansons Edition is incredible.

DEVA, croquetlawns, cws and 1 other person like this.
  17. cws

cws Forum Resident

I have a recital album - Rameau, Scarlatti, Bach - from 1986 that is superb. Absolutely superb.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Fredarc and croquetlawns like this.
  18. Crimson King

Crimson King Silly Audiophile

This seems to be part of a set - could you please give details about the set? thank you

Fredarc likes this.
  19. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

Could we expect a circa 60 CD " Erato complete recordings " by Warner, with his Bach, Scarlatti, Haendel, d'Anglebert, Soler..? Another dream-set would be the complete Rameau and François Couperin he did for Stil, and the recordings he did as an organist..
    Here's a link to his complete discography.
    Scott Ross (1951-1989) - A discography

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    cws, trix and croquetlawns like this.
  20. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

The CD is not a part of a set, it has been recorded " live" by INA ( Institut National de l'Audiovisuel, a public organisation for TV and radio archives).
    Diapason, a french equivalent of Gramophone Magazine, offers an archive CD each month, some are sometimes boxed. 13 is likely a number in the collection or in a box.

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

It looks like it has come from this box set (hence the CD13 on the sleeve):

Various - Les Indispensables De Diapason

Crimson King, cws, trix and 1 other person like this.
  22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This just came in. Will open it later today.[​IMG]

23. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

24. Pierrot Lunaire

Pierrot Lunaire Forum Resident

That's a fabulous box! Best set of Mozart piano sonatas I ever heard, plus violin sonatas with Boskovsky... And a lot of other great stuff.

Åke Bergvall, Daedalus and bluemooze like this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Mini review on a new to me Beethoven set-

[​IMG]

I was looking for something more romantically oriented, something that wasn't the classical take of Szell, Wand or Markevitch. Hurwitz described this as something that sounded up my alley so a blind buy for under $7 with free shipping on Discogs. Happy to say that this is a superb cycle that errs towards the weight/gravitas side of things ala Furtwangler.

I bought the first edition of this box (mastering is superb), it appears like it has never gone out of print. https://smile.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonies-6CD-Daniel-Barenboim/dp/B071S7YCR1/

The packaging on the one I bought is strange, it's a hinged jewel "box" that folds down to reveal the CDs in the paper sleeves and it has a very thick and detailed booklet.

Wow! I paid twice that for the Ts'ong box, it's one of my favorite Chopin box sets :)

bluemooze, layman and croquetlawns like this.