Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. cws

cws Forum Resident

Very true. I was looking forward to the release of a new hardback book about Austrian history, due for publication on Dec 13. First, Amazon had it listed as coming out on Jan 13. Until several days ago, it was on preorder as such. Then, for some inexplicable reason, the website currently says that I could get it shipped to me through Prime by tomorrow evening. :shrug:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    5-String, trix and croquetlawns like this.
  2. bdjr

bdjr Forum Resident

Thank you I will put the blue box on my list :)

ggjjr, speedracer and Marzz like this.
  3. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

4. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

If you are new to Callas, other than the suggested recital box, you can also sample Callas recordings, also with this new remastering, with the triple CD "The new sound of Maria Callas", which you can listen entirely here in this youtube posting below:

Jason W, Marzz, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  5. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Now if we disconsider the remasterings, and focus only on the intepretations, this video below is even better (selection and order of the songs) than the previous one, and it was actually this video that convinced me into buying the big Callas box-sets:

6. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

The mastering in 24/96 then dithered down to 16/44 for CD? Or are they some hi rez type disc I haven't caught up with?

Marzz likes this.
  7. spn

spn Forum Resident

Weirdly enough, this Schoenberg album is NOT in the box set. Neither are the Debussy, Strauss, or Penderecki discs. The only thing in common among this albums is that none of them contain all 4 members playing at once. Thankfully, all 4 albums are still available here and there, used and new.

Otherwise, it looks like the box is complete insofar as it contains all recordings with the full quartet playing together. Specifically accurate.

5-String and hvbias like this.
  8. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Yep, dithered down for CD. I only mentioned it because the blue box states it on the back cover, so you can use it as an identifier that it is the "new" remasters in that box.
    But, hi-rez downloads (24/96) are also available at the usual outlets. Presto Classical had a sale a while back (about 5 bucks each!) so I bought a stack of them out of curiosity. They sound the same to me :)
    No doubt those who are actually set up for hi-rez would appreciate them a lot more.

5-String, ggjjr and speedracer like this.
  9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That is quite disappointing but as you say accurate. I have to imagine they are excellent in Debussy and Penderecki. I don't think I've heard any of Strauss' chamber music outside of the Violin Sonata, I should rectify that.

Is this disc present? Or albums where they are in quintets? I hope it is on there as it's one I had on my to buy after being able to hear it.

[​IMG]

croquetlawns and 5-String like this.
  10. spn

spn Forum Resident

It is! As well as all quintets, sextets (including the almost unbearably delightful Glinka sextet), piano stuff, clarinet stuff, a French horn quintet, some
    Dvorak oddities (the bagatelles!), and even a Janacek sonata. That is to say, most things aren’t missing.

Marzz, hvbias, 5-String and 1 other person like this.
  11. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

I think FNAC.fr made a little mistake. I just pre-ordered Corboz Erato Recordings Classical and Romantic Eras box, released next april, for 33 €. Price on Amazon.fr is 88 €...:D Worth a try before they make a correction, doesn't it ?
    I hope they do the same mistake for Abbado's upcoming box !!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    nigels, Marzz, ToniFromMars and 15 others like this.
  12. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

Details of the upcoming Corboz box. At 0.90 € per CD with the pre-order price mistake on FNAC, it's a real bargain. He recorded a few rarities, and the more traditional repertoire is usually very well done. Of course you can find elsewhere better versions of Mozart, Brahms or Verdi Requiems, but as a whole this box is indeed a no-brainer for choral repertoire lovers...
    [​IMG]

Marzz, ToniFromMars, Gentian and 5 others like this.
  13. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Gentian, bluemooze, cws and 1 other person like this.
  14. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

Thanks a lot for the info! I hope it will be delivered as Muti's Symphonic box. Bought, of course.

Fredarc likes this.
  15. Pierrot Lunaire

Pierrot Lunaire Forum Resident

Thank you for the tip, ordered!

spn likes this.
  16. spn

spn Forum Resident

What a great collection of choral music! Ordered. Thank you!

17. spn

spn Forum Resident

Also: how is the other Corboz box? I’m not interested in HIP, just beauty. I love the Bach concertos that he did with Pires. But I’m intimidated to dive into that much Monteverdi. Haha.

18. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

As with @spn I think this looks like a good box for vocal/choral music. It would fill a repertoire gap in my collection quite nicely.

Fredarc likes this.
  19. MrCJF

And I just ordered on fnac. Well worth the risk!

Fredarc likes this.
  20. MrCJF

I'm hoping to have listened to some of my Reinhard Goebel box by next spring, and will compare repertoire with the Corbox box before buying. But as its HIP vs traditional styles, I may have room for both in my collection!

spn likes this.
  21. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

AJCinBrooklyn likes this.
  22. Pierrot Lunaire

Pierrot Lunaire Forum Resident

Not to worry, the Monteverdi is quite compelling.

Joerg-Maria likes this.
  23. trix

trix Forum Resident

The baroque Corboz box is really good ;) I still prefer Gardiner for those works but Corboz is very good, too.

Pétrouchka likes this.
  24. trix

trix Forum Resident

It doesnt make much sense to compare Goebel with Corboz because it is a completely different repertoire. Corboz is all about choral music, in Goebel you have like ~90% instrumental music.

Pétrouchka and Fredarc like this.
  25. MrCJF

I did mean I was going to comapre which works are in both boxes, but you may have saved me the effort. If I like the Corboz classical, then the baroque box will probably go on my wish list.