Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Wish Sony would re-release the Reiner and Monteux RCA Sony boxes but probably will not happen.

2. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I had assumed 2023/24, there was talk from some music critics of it coming, but no date was mentioned.

I think someone here or on some Google Groups worked out it could be over 200 CDs if they put every single stereo recording in.

Originally there was speculation that there would be 2 stereo Ormandy boxes because Sony had talked about 3 box sets, but then they did the 11 CD Minneapolis box.

croquetlawns, zarzuela and SOONERFAN like this.
  3. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Yes
    • Bernard Haitink & Concertgebouworkest
    • Trevor Pinnock & The English Concert
    • Ormandy Stereo (if it happens this year)
    Maybe
    • John Eliot Gardiner on Erato
    • Sergei Prokofiev Edition Warner
    • Sir Georg Solti in Europe
    Weak No
    • Otto Klemperer on Warner Volume 1
    • Eduard van Beinum
    No
    • Claudio Abbado Universal
    • Fitzwilliam Quartet
    • Doráti in Detroit
    • Emerson Quartet
    • Roger Norrington
    • Simon Preston & Christ Church Cathedral Choir, Oxford
    • Alfred Cortet
    • Michel Cortez
    • Decca Rachmaninov reissue
    Hell No
    • Ansermet Stereo

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  4. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Ooh I had forgotten about these two... :shh:

cartologist likes this.
  5. spn

spn Forum Resident

Unfortunately, no new boxes for me for awhile. I have to spend money on more practical things. I’ll hopefully pick up the Blomstedt box when it comes out, but I will otherwise simply have to live with the hundreds of CDs I acquired over the last year. Haha.

cws likes this.
  6. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

This deal seems to be back: "5 Nuevo desde 4,99 €" found in smaller script under the primary price.

Taplow and croquetlawns like this.
  7. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

8. LordFugitive

LordFugitive Forum Resident

All the record companies store their analog masters in high resolution, with 24/96 PCM probably the most common. (Assuming they've digitized their entire library by now)
    So they're always dithering their masters to CD, for CD release. There's really no other option.

9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

For me the must have is the Prokofiev box. The artists, conductors and orchestras listed are compelling.

10. cartologist

I forgot the Blomstedt (Weak No; I have a lot of his SFO (Sibelius, Nielson, Grieg, Hindemith, Berwald, Brahms, Bruckner, Strauss, Mahler 2) & non-Decca SKD (Schubert, Beethoven) work, plus latter-day Beethoven with the Leipzigers), along with the possible Schmidt-Isserstedt (No; I have the Beethoven).

11. PeterH

PeterH Forum Resident

12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Amazon DE has the Abbado box for 775euro. After VAT removal and shipping to usa, it comes out to $780 total, mighty tempting….

jɑmbo likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's a lot cheaper at other EU outlets, especially FNAC: 710 euros including VAT; with the euro worth a bit more than the US dollar at the moment and with VAT deducted it should be lower in dollars.
    https://www.fnac.com/a17625987/Jean...Edition-Limitee-et-Numerotee-Coffret-CD-album

14. Swordsandchains

Fredarc likes this.
  15. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

They charge at time of shipping. But as FNAC price is at 710 €, french Amazon price is 710 € too if you prefer to have a choice.
    The Complete Recordings on Deutsche Grammophon and Decca [Coffret 257CD+8DVD - Tirage Limité et Numéroté] https://amzn.eu/d/8hdAQh1

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Swordsandchains likes this.
  16. Swordsandchains

i will do some inspecting today, thanks for the tip. One last question, does FNAC pack well?

17. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

Yes they do..I never had any trouble with their packages, even for the mega boxes I bought by them ( Karajan complete DG, Mozart 225..).
    Apparently, Abbado is a bit lower at Amazon.es..
    Check this out! https://amzn.eu/d/eeUNJwR

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If you use PayPal it will be charged when the order is shipped, at least that's what happened with my FNAC orders.

Joerg-Maria and Swordsandchains like this.
  19. Fredarc

Fredarc Forum Resident

I often use savemoney.es, which compares prices at different Amazons.
    [​IMG]

20. Swordsandchains

Whats crazy is USA Amazon has box listed at June 2 release and price is currently $955

cartologist and Fredarc like this.
  21. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

Something else to check - If I remember correctly, FNAC did NOT charge local US sales tax the last time I ordered from them (the famous Muti box sale) whereas I believe most (all?) foreign Amazons do charge local US sales tax. Depending on local rates, sales tax can amount to a significant chunk of change on something like the Abbado box.

jɑmbo, zarzuela and croquetlawns like this.
  22. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

Conventional wisdom holds that there's a sonic advantage to mastering at higher bit and sample rates than required by the final release format, and then downsampling.

ToniFromMars and croquetlawns like this.
  23. garthhudson

garthhudson Forum Resident

Finally got to dig into the Camille Saint-Saens Edition box (Warner), but already a tad disappointed that they chose the "remaster" of Pretre's 1963 Samson et Dalila, which as Hurwitz noted contains a ton of literal distortion, especially when Vickers really belts it out (which is 90% of his part!):

Samson et Dalila EMI C - Classics Today

Luckily you can find the earlier CD edition for cheap, so I'll look out for that. Anyone else notice it?

cartologist likes this.
  24. cartologist

Today is the first time I've seen it on Amazon US.
    Their Haitink Concertgebouworkest price is no less discouraging (in the literally sense of the word) - $356.66.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

300 euros (including VAT) from JPC:
    https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/bernard-haitink-concertgebouw-orkest-complete-studio-recordings/hnum/10965279

No idea how much it is in US dollars with VAT deducted and overseas shipping included.

Amazon France's price is 289 euros including VAT:
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B0B78GKRQ7&linkCode=as2&tag=heidonet-21

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    ToniFromMars and croquetlawns like this.