Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Glenn Gould Complete Unreleased 1955 Goldberg Variations deluxe box is 20 GBP plus shipping (6 to US) from Movie Marks on Amazon UK. They said 2 left in stock when I ordered :eek:

bluemooze likes this.
  2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Thanks for the info (re price/place for Karajan box.) Ordered! :thumbsup:

Ben in Colorado likes this.
  3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Any "must haves" on this label that you can recommend?

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Sure, I would say A Century of Romantic Chopin above all others. I also was blown away by The Josef Hofmann Volume 6, The Casimir Recital release. And the Arrau - The Early Years release is wonderful.

giantleech likes this.
  5. Papageno

Papageno Forum Resident

bluemooze and Michael H like this.
  6. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

7. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

8. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

The Amazon US price for the 108-CD Solti/CSO box is down to $185, about $30 less than it's ever been before. There's a catch, though ... the deal appears to be good only for Amazon Prime members. In fact, from the looks of it, non-Prime members are limited to purchasing from third-party sellers, who currently list the item at about $250.

No indication of whether this is a Cyber Monday, but I assume this is a limited time price drop.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and crispi like this.
  9. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

Forgot to include the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073GSGGH1

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Talking about "mega" sets, I've never really been a Eugene Ormandy fan, but I must admit that lately I've come to appreciate several of his recordings, and I wish Sony would release a box with his orchestral and concerto recordings - just to keep it manageable and affordable. A George Szell box would be nice too, but, since I have the South Korean box, there's no hurry as far as I'm concerned, even though the Korean box is not complete.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Robur, ssstand and dajokr like this.
  11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Ormandy is very underrated IMO. He is not very strong in the Austrian-German 19th c. repertoire but his Sibelius, Shostakovich, Ravel and Prokoviev are among the best.

Robur, Wes H, ssstand and 1 other person like this.
  12. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

I also think an Ormandy set is long overdue. I began listening to classical music seriously during the 1970s as a schoolboy, and at that time Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra were frequently televised on PBS. He was, in many ways, my image of what a conductor should be. Not as glamorous as Bernstein, perhaps not as musical as Solti, but a very important force in American classical music.

40+ years on it amazes me how bad his reputation is, especially among those who never have really listened to him. I completely get that music largely hinges upon one's personal taste. You don't have to like who I like. But Ormandy was a major, major conductor of one of the planet's top orchestras for over 40 years. As 5-String mentions, his Sibelius, Shostakovich, Ravel, and Prokoviev (and I would add Bartok, Orff, and Rachmaninoff to that group) is often peerless. He was a huge proponent of 20th century music. The Philadelphians' sound wasn't for everybody, but it was a lush, wondrous type of playing that is sorely missed for some types of repertoire.

debased, Robur, zongo and 2 others like this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Anyone that has the Eurodisc Recordings box of Richter, can you check if your discs have digital clicks? This was discussed earlier in this thread and one of the other classical threads. The German review where it was first pointed out translated to "ugly distortion" which I don't hear on any of the affected discs. Playing disc 6 (Beethoven Op. 90, Schumann Op.13) I am noticing digital clicks on the Schumann piece. They are soft and you might need headphones to hear them. I don't have the Olympia/Alto/Melodiya individual CDs for them so I can't check if they are there.

14. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

15. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

How long does it take for amazon.de to ship after a buy 2 get one free sale?
    It's been almost a week and both Black Friday .de orders have indicated preparing for dispatch for days.
    All of my previous .de orders took less than 3 days to go out.

16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I got mine today. I ordered on the 24th. Only one classical, Rostropovich's Warner box. I also got a Cluster box and a Sun Ra box.

Mowgli likes this.
  17. Mowgli

Mine will be the most prepared for dispatch that were ever prepared.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow! I have so much of that already that I won't likely be getting it, but I am very glad it is being released. How many discs is it?

19. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

The Jpc website indicates 80 CDs.

George P likes this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Like others I have so much of this already that I probably won't be getting it, though never say never... Relatively expensive at JPC at the moment, but the price will most likely be lower at other stores. I wonder if it'll be an "original jacket" box; I hope not - the big Brendel Philips box is a good example how to do it properly.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As I said elsewhere in response to the same question, some of the staff at Amazon Germany were/are on strike; that could be the casue of the delay.

Mowgli likes this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I ordered from Amazon.de the András Schiff set of Bach keyboard works on Saturday and was dispatched on Monday.

Mowgli likes this.
  23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Doing a bit more reading it seems like the clicks are the distortion the Amazon reviewers were talking about. Someone said they were able to get replacements from Sony Classical (the website takes me to the German page for contacting them?), but so far they haven't replied to my email or tweet.

A shame since the Sony remasters do sound a bit better than the Olympia CDs.

24. Mowgli

One order finally shipped early this AM. The other is still getting "prepared".

25. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

Interesting point - I tend to love original jacket boxes, but I can see why organizing a set like this differently makes sense. Original jackets work well for compilation type boxes (e.g., Decca Sound).

Those 90s Philips releases were kind of cheesy, too, although for me that cheesiness is part of the charm of the first decade of classical CDs. Remember when a mega box was a set of ten CDs in jewel cases and a thin cardboard box/sleeve for $250? I used to look at those longingly in Tower Records. :D

crispi likes this.