Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Octave and bluemooze like this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

You're a braver sort than I. My eyesight is excellent, but I'd still dread trying to shelf browse with those paper sleeves - and that's discounting the ones with no spines! :eek:

3. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

WaterLemon, bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  4. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I admit the ones without spines are more problematic, but relatively easy to find as the regular CDs provide good guides!

Runicen likes this.
  5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Equally problematic are the mega boxes which contain so much music that it's easy to not even know something is in your collection until you go to check the book!

djbarry likes this.
  6. djbarry

djbarry Master of time, space and dimension.

That's where an Excel spreadsheet can come in handy

Runicen likes this.
  7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

You mean I have to do something else on top of ripping, tagging, scanning and organizing?! This is becoming work! :winkgrin:

Jayseph and djbarry like this.
  8. djbarry

djbarry Master of time, space and dimension.

What? You thought that this was supposed to be fun?

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Are ripped files formatted in a way that the meta-data could be uploaded directly into Excel? That would be fun. :)

10. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

...You know, that's one hell of an idea. I wonder if that's possible.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

In iTunes, when you're in "Songs" view, you can highlight songs and then copy and paste the displayed data right into Excel - I do it all the time. Each column in the iTunes display neatly maps over to a separate column in iTunes. It would just be a matter of customizing your view in iTunes to display the columns you want (Title, Composer, Performer, Album Title, etc), and then copying it over. I'd assume you could do the same in other, non-iTunes programs.

Runicen, Robert C and SteveKn like this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

13. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

Maybe I'm missing the point, but if you're ripping discs into iTunes, why bother with Excel? I've ripped nearly all my discs into iTunes (it's time to finish off four or five boxes), primarily to load (a portion of) them onto my 160GB iPod Classic for my car, traveling, and downtime in waiting rooms. An unexpected, but important, benefit of using iTunes is that all my discs are searchable by composer, composition and performer. I can use the iTunes search function to instantly determine whether a particular disc, or performance, is already in my collection, and in which box I can find it.

14. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

That's certainly true, but is only useful if you're sitting in front of the computer that holds your iTunes library. It's nice to be able to very easily create a spreadsheet of my iTunes contents and post it to Google Drive where it's available to me when I'm work or out shopping in used disc stores. Plus I've got 870GB of music in my iTunes library, and using the iTunes search function is slllloooowww.

Lije Baley and sherrill50 like this.
  15. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

I received my first delivery from the Amazon Germany 3-for-2 deal. They seem to be upping their shipping game. The outer package arrived in good condition. Inside, the Decca Sound - Mono Years was in great condition, not even any scarring of the shrink wrap. The other two boxes - Andre Previn Classical and Deutsche Grammophon Mono Era - were both safely cushioned in their original cardboard packing. They were actually shipped to Chicago from a distribution center in Poland, which I think is the first shipment I've gotten from there. Maybe that made a difference.

16. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

So...a question about big Mega Opera Boxes, like the new Rossini Edition (50 CDs) or the Abbado Opera box, or any number of others. No librettos with these things, which is all too common these days. My question is: WHY? I assume it's because the companies are saving money, but how much and on what? Are there rights fees that would have to be paid for the librettos or for the translations? For a 150 year old opera? The cost of printing a big booklet? OK I could see that, but surely the cost of including a CD-Rom in the box with the text on the disk wouldn't cost much in and of itself. Or a web site that we could visit and read or download on our own. Clearly the companies have made the decision to do away with texts wherever and whenever they can, no matter whether it makes the product (lieder or vocal music or operas) crippled to some extent. Yes, many of us have ways of getting hold of texts of at least the most famous operas, but the obscure ones such as the early ones in the Rossini box are not easily found, and not in translation.

So I assume it's a cost thing, but where do people think the cost lies that they are saving?

Papageno likes this.
  17. SteveKn

SteveKn Forum Resident

I've always received well-packaged box sets from Amazon Germany. This time, however, the sets arrived in a large, over-sized box, with a handful of brown paper loosely thrown in the shipping container. This immediately reminded me of Amazon Italy. Sure enough, when I tracked my amazon.de purchases, they originiated from Italy. Fortunately, nothing was broken this time. I had sworn off amazon.it. I have inadvertently ordered from them again via the amazon.de 3-for-2 promotion. Fingers crossed on my other amazon.de/it purchases....

Malamute Dad likes this.
  18. misterjones

That has been a non-starter for me on at least one larger set (I forget which one). I often don't follow along with a libretto - preferring just to listen to the music and voice interaction - but I at least want access to a printable on-line libretto.

But if it's a super-cheap set, I guess I understand why it's unavailable. Though there's no copyright on the underlying text, a translation could have unexpired copyright protection. It's been a long time since I delved into copyright law, but a translation might be considered a derivative work entitled to its own copyright.

DEVA likes this.
  19. cws

cws Forum Resident

The translation restrictions are probably a factor. I think you're correct concerning derivative rights. William Mann's translations of Schubert's poetry settings clearly indicate Mann's copyright, for example, even though the originals are over 200 years old.

misterjones likes this.
  20. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

If anyone is still trying to track down an English copy of MOZART 225, Amazon Warehouse had a couple of copies (albeit under "Acceptable" condition) that qualified for their 25% off Warehouse items promo. I ordered one of them and the promo didn't take, but the customer service rep. gave me a $55 refund, so it ended up being roughly $153 plus tax. Even if it's rough shape I can live with it given the other options out there that are considerably more expensive!

bluemooze and Malamute Dad like this.
  21. Malamute Dad

Malamute Dad Well-Known Member

Thanks, I am interested in something else but do not see a reference for 25% off warehouse items. Is there a link for that?

22. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

I am interested as well but can not find it, thanks

23. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  24. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Just received the Pollini box from Amazon.uk (to the US). The outer box was seriously mauled and looked like it had been in a car accident. Fortunately the actual box only had a tiny dent on a corner. I feared the worst when I saw the box on my doorstep. Quality Amazon UK packaging for sure! Right! Hmmmmmm.....

It feels like one gambles every time one orders a box from Amazon in Europe.

Matt Richardson and SteveKn like this.
  25. misterjones

I think most of the damage is the result of US postal workers. Lately, I’ve received a few boxes damaged in a way suggesting someone looking inside for goodies . . . possibly stocking-stuffers.