Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Gentian

Gentian Forum Resident

Now on Amazon Spain:
    Benjamin Britten - The Collector's Edition - 37 CD - € 36,16
    (available from January 25th on)

2. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

Speaking of the Szeryng box:
    That's probaby correct. The Italian, German, Spanish and French Amazon sites all show the box as in stock. The UK site has 10 left, but says that more are on the way.

Surely, the US Amazon wouldn't avoid reordering more stock simply because a pricing error caused many (enough to make the box the #1 Best Seller in Classical Music for a time) to order the box for one-tenth of its usual price.

It's Amazon, and don't call me "Shirley."

Runicen likes this.
  3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I don’t know if they are attempting to dishonor the orders but they did honor my order of the Amadeus Quartet box set which was another super low price mistake(?) by all appearances.

4. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

And, as I said earlier, Amazon has already sent to me Szeryng box. I hope everyone get this box at that price. :righton:

5. cws

cws Forum Resident

I can't decide whether you're being supportive or just rubbing it in. ;)

crispi, David*M and djbarry like this.
  6. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

The first, always the first. :righton:

shepherdfan, cws and Daedalus like this.
  7. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Considering a small mega-box from them (20 CDs). They have the best price, and it appears from this thread they are at least no worse than any other vendor (and could be better).

8. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

They can be a bit slow but never a problem with the packing....

misterjones likes this.
  9. misterjones

OK by me.

Maybe that's Amazon's problem. In their haste to get stuff out the door, they just throw it in a box with some bubble rolls and call it a day.

cws likes this.
  10. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

In my experience Rarewaves on Ebay are very reliable. I order form them all the time. Just received Roussel: The Complete Symphonies and Sonny Side Up. Took about 18 days altogether to my address in the U.S..

Andy Dursin likes this.
  11. cws

cws Forum Resident

The ancient Greeks are turning in their graves.

12. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

Anyone noticed that MDT's website, emails, and phone number haven't worked for the last 3-4 days? What's going on?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  13. misterjones

I believe it is possible (not oxymoronic) to have a small mega-box (or what the ancient Greeks might consider a small “great” box). If we define a classical mega-set as a set consisting of 20 or more classical CDs, is there no way to distinguish between a 20-CD set and (say) the Bach 333 set when it comes to size? Is there no such thing as a small giant? “Hey, look at that giant over there.” “Which one? There are five of them.” “The one that’s . . . smaller . . . I mean, not as big as . . . damn, I wish I could use a size description for the one I’m talking about. OK, the one wearing the yellow turtleneck and loafers. No, not that one. Damn the Greeks! The smaller one, OK?”

Along similar lines, I believe it is possible for something to be very unique . . . but I digress.

cws, Daedalus, Runicen and 1 other person like this.
  14. ClassicalCD

It is worrying. Though I received a CD from them a little more than a week ago, Klenau's String Quartets.

15. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

16. Lije Baley

That's a great mini-mega, or smallus-biggus, as the Romans called it. Even with a few duplicates in my Warner Rostropovich and Argerich collections, there's a lot of music, much of it less often recorded. The Amazons are asking 2 1/2 to 5 times as much for the box. Ordered!

17. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

A bit of info on this from Slipped Disc:

We hear that the major online UK record retailer MDT has called in receivers.

Its website was taken down last week. The phones are not being answered. In the absence of any form of communication, it has been impossible to obtain confirmation of the shutdown, but two industry sources tell us that administrators have been summoned.

Soon, Amazon will be all that’s left.
    However, given Lebrecht's complete lack of credibility, I'd say nothing's for certain yet.

18. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Sir would you like the egg, spam( repeated 5 times) ?or the egg, spam( repeated 15 times)?

19. ClassicalCD

That would be very sad. MDT had great prices and service. Very recently they revamped their site too, although I liked it better the way it used to be.

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I received my Philips Stereo Years set from Amazon.de yesterday. Amazingly it was doubled boxed and it arrived in perfect condition.
    I paid something like 34 bucks for it including shipping, which is a great price especially if you compare it with the US Amazon that sells it for $126.15 as of today.

I want to thank the forum member that posted the link, sorry that I do not remember your name, but THANK YOU!

Now I am waiting for the Szeryng box, it says "Arriving Jan 30 - Feb 22", I am curious to see if Amazon will honor the price.

21. Lije Baley

starkiller and audiomixer like this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Mine order still hasn’t been cancelled.

Yet.......

23. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

24. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

The forum member name you wanted to thank is: SteveKn