Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks for breaking that down. I didn't realize there was that much Bruggen in that box, I figured they just substituted what Hogwood didn't record to make the box complete. I have to admit the 4 or 5 Philips CDs I do have of his (Bruggen) of Haydn it sounds like very early HIP with a loose, poorly playing orchestra.

The old school Dorati box is my other complete set, but Hogwood just sounds like such a natural fit for these symphonies.

edit: on your last sentence on being the life of a collector, it was really annoying to see that a particular Sviatoslav Richter performance of a Schubert sonata was left off the expensive Melodiya Anniversary box and instead put on one of their other releases. So of course I am now looking for that release because Schubert and Richter is like oranges and peanut butter.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    bluemooze likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Ha ha, I finished it! To be honest with you many cds I played on the background while reading on my iPad or playing games on my Nintendo switch. Still it was quite a journey :love:
    I made mental notes to return to certain symphonies, especially some of the late ones, and listen to them more carefully at a later time thought.

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Very nice! I have been going back and forth in my mind whether I want to get a Switch (@Runicen gave me some pretty compelling reasons!). It would be perfect for my lunch hour when I like to kick back, but I also like putting on a piano recording and being completely absorbed by the Stax. Tomorrow will be Sudbin's all Rachmaninov SACD with the exceptional Piano Sonata 2 (Horowitz version) and Variations on a Theme of Chopin.

cws, 5-String and Runicen like this.
  5. Sunburst Finish

Sunburst Finish Forum Resident

At only 7 cds it falls short of the "mega" qualifier needed for inclusion but I am inordinately fond of this particular box set which was released in 1997 and am considering creating a dedicated thread for discussion -

Note: to the right of the page is a link of each of the 168 folksong arrangements which appear below

The box contains -

Opus 108: 25 Scottish Songs

WoO 152: 25 Irish Songs

WoO 153: 20 Irish Songs

WoO 154: 12 Irish Songs

WoO 157: 12 Songs Of Various Nationalities

WoO 155: 26 Welsh Songs

WoO 156: 12 Scottish Songs

WoO 158b: 7 British Songs

WoO 158c: 6 Songs Of Various Nationalities

WoO 158a: 23 Songs Of Various Nationalities

WoO = "Works without Opus" - the system was invented to catalogue Beethoven's unnumbered and fragmented works in 1955.

cdgenarian, DEVA, cws and 2 others like this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The original German term is "Werk ohne Opuszahl".

cdgenarian, DEVA, Lije Baley and 2 others like this.
  7. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

8. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

bluemooze and ubertrout like this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

DEVA likes this.
  11. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

12. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Not by a member of this Classical Mega CD Box Sets thread I hope :)

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Salonen -The Complete Sony Recordings. I grabbed this set before it vanished into the great OOP void. I have not yet started to listen-but I am looking forward to hearing a lot of music which will be new to me.

Lije Baley likes this.
  15. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Hello J.A.W, I was rather referring to posting information about a new "classical mega-box" ONLY in other thread, instead of posting here in the thread created for this specific mean. Nothing wrong with that of course, I only meant the ones of us following only this thread would miss the important information :)

Robur likes this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, as I said in my last post I posted the Giuliani mega box info on this thread already in December - not that it got much attention :)

crispi likes this.
  17. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Yes you did. My first post above was just intended to be funny, on which I´m clearly not good at. Please kindly accept my apologies dear friend :)

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

bluemooze, crispi, DEVA and 1 other person like this.
  19. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

Well, it looks like my favorite online store for box sets is indeed done for.. :( RIP MDT https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3205991

By the way, why the hell can't most online music vendors package their products sturdily before shipping? At this point in time, they're really mostly catering to serious collectors like us who are, as we all know, fussy about conditions but also more than willing to pay a silly amount for re-re-re-releases of things free to stream online. So, from a purely business point of view, why can't they spend 50 cents more to package a 80CD set instead of having some deluxe, limited edition damaged en route and then pay out for the return postage? Just inconceivable. #rantover

arley, giantleech and Gentian like this.
  20. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

See my previous post about my visit to Amazon, it makes perfect sense in the big scheme of things (at least for them).

Robur likes this.
  21. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Worked at a fulfillment center here in town....problem is that you are on production so its always go--go--go...ya gotta meet it whether you are packing CD's or Power Tools or Diapers...found myself behind a couple of days because I took too much time to pack wrap inside...

22. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

23. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

zeram1 and nigels like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

nigels likes this.