Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I like Profil.

2. cws

cws Forum Resident

I like your suggestions for bundling these options. I personally would jump on the following pot pourri possibility:

Maria Callas ($99.99) : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00KN15P56/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1.
    Rafael Kubelik ($105.99) : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07B5Y6TRW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1.
    Rostropovich (WB) ($89.99) : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01MQO1GWL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1.

Others can build their own, of course. It's easiest if you go to the list of 3/2 offers, select Klassik then Box-Set from the left-hand nav options, then search by price.

3. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Just got 3 small boxes - the Sony Barenboim as well as Karl Richter and Salvatore Accardo CD/BD boxes. Thanks for this thread! I'm still looking at the Solti box but none of the other big boxes demand my attention right now (or I already have them).

4. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

5. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

By the way, I read at another site that this particular 3-for-2 drive will be over by February 18th, so act accordingly.

Like ubertrout I own a lot of these boxes already, but I did snag a few, mixed in with some jazz and rock boxes, such as:
    The St John Complete Argo Recordings together with
    Steve Hackett's Broken Skies Outspread Wings (1984-2006) (Ltd. Deluxe 6CD+2DVD Artbook) andImpulse! 1961-1974 (25 CD-Box).

Another trio was:
    Stokowski Complete Decca Recordings (Ltd.Edt.
    Barenboim The Solo Recordings
    and Evgeny Mravinsky Edition Vol.4.

And yet another mongrel trio:
    Berlioz: the Complete Works
    Ashkenazy - 50 Jahre auf Decca (Limited Edition)
    Chet Baker: Portrait In.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    cws, Runicen and bluemooze like this.
  6. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Almost have my 50 CD Karl Richter "box set" - Orgelkonzerte is on the way. 26 are the Cantatas boxes. Kantata 140 on the Magnificat disc is from 1962, and was re-recorded in 1978 for Vol. 5.

Archiv 439 338-2 Matthäus-Passion (3 CDs)
    Archiv 435 947-2 Johannes-Passion (2 CDs)
    Archiv 427 236-2 Weihnachtsoratorium (3 CDs)
    DG/Galleria 419 466-2 Kantata 140, Magnificat
    Archiv/Galleria 427 113-2 Flöten-Sonaten
    Archiv/Galleria 427 155-2 Messe in h-moll (2 CDs)
    Archiv/Galleria 431 119-2 Die Orgelkonzerte
    Archiv 439 369-2 Kantaten 1 (4 CDs)
    Archiv 439 374-2 Kantaten 2 (5 CDs)
    Archiv 439 380-2 Kantaten 3 (6 CDs)
    Archiv 439 387-2 Kantaten 4 (6 CDs)
    Archiv 439 394-2 Kantaten 5 (5 CDs)
    Archiv 439 612-2 Die 13 Cembalokonzerten (3 CDs)
    Resonance 445 057-2 Goldberg-Variationen
    Resonance 453 975-2 Musikalisches Opfer
    Archiv/The Originals 463 657-2 6 Brandenburgische Konzerte, 4 Ouvertüren, Tripelkonzert (3 CDs)
    DG/The Originals 00289 477 5337 Orgelwerke (3 CDs)

[​IMG]

Worker, crispi and bluemooze like this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I bought a used copy of Karajan 1960s box, the four CD holders in the inside can be removed and stored outside the box. They have different photos of Karajan on them along with the CD numbers, I thought that was a pretty cool feature. I only have one other box that has this 4 sided cube arrangement and it has the holders affixed to the box. Unsurprisingly since they are rubbing up against each other they do have a good amount of wear, it looks like the previous owner listened to this box a lot, which is oddly satisfying to know. I had this box on my wish list for a while but it never seemed to drop in price much. Along with Szell and the upcoming Bruno Walter I suspect these will be some of the few mega size general conductor (not conductor specifically by composer) boxes I keep. I'm debating if I need the 1970s box, IMO at least for me the 60s were Karajan's high point.

floydfan likes this.
  8. brucehf

brucehf Forum Resident

How about 3 for 2 1) Chailly Symphony Edition 2) De Larrocha Complete Decca 3) Ozawa Complete DG, all about 90 euros before VAT removed?

9. J Luc

J Luc Forum Resident

I ordered three small boxes as well mostly to fill the need to take advantage of the sale: 1) Mehta Symphonies and Symphonic Poems, 2) Haitink The Phillips Years, and 3) Narciso Yepes Complete Solo recordings. If I had more control, it would have been a good opportunity to pick up the Chailly. the Kubelik, and the deluxe boxset of the Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society at great prices. Alas, it is too late having purchased all of these within the last two or three months. Maybe I need to procrastinate more....

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

People keep writing Phillips - that was a different record label, nothing to do with Philips (pronounced "Phee-lips") :)

[​IMG]

crispi and Phillip Walch like this.
  11. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

I bought the Amadeus Quartet, Harnoncourt and De Larrocha boxed sets.
    I've had those on my radar for quite a while, but they always got left behind.

Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: For the first time ever, all three boxed sets came very-well packaged. That's really the first time in 20+ years of having been a customer there.

12. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

posting this here as well as the Mozart 225 thread, has anyone purchased it from MusicVaultz can please confirm if the books are in English or French? Thanks!

cdgenarian likes this.
  13. cartologist

Karl Richter "box set" > Karl Richter "Bach box set"

14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Amazon US currently has that Kinks vinyl box down to $80.17.

Now back to classical mega boxes.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

I did get my copy from there right after Christmas and it is the English release. Well packaged and shipped also!

aperfecttool likes this.
  16. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

Thank you! finally going to get it from there then.

17. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

You are quite welcome. The books are great and there hasnt been a better price on the US release in the time I have been looking around.

18. PhilEdsch37

PhilEdsch37 Well-Known Member

This is first post since my recent subscription to this forum. The first thing I have to say is a big thank you, fellow members, for your information and alerts regarding mega CD box sets. After many years buying from Amazon UK (I'm in Wales), I came across a tip in a UK Amazon review that it is often less expensive to order from Amazon Germany. So, I was increasingly doing this before I came across this forums. Especially helpful was the post about the 3 for 2 deal (why don't Amazon UK have this as well?).
    It was quite a challenge to pick just three sets (all my budget would allow). My three selections were: the Andre Previn, Martha Argerich (DG) and the 25 DVD set, 25 Jahre Europakonzert box. The range of repertoire, performers, history and location is very broad in the latter. I think the variety of repertoire in the Previn and Argerich sets also swung the decision in their favour.

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal: EUR 214,26
    Postage & Packing: EUR 6,16
    Total Before VAT: EUR 152,87
    VAT: EUR 44,08
    Total:
    Promotion Applied: -EUR 67,55
    Grand Total: EUR 196,95
    Payment Grand Total: GBP 179.30

19. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Question— with a new release box set, is there usually a hi res download alternative ?

I’ve pre ordered Christian Thielemann box set thru Amazon (US) but wondered if it would be for sale as download.

Thanks

20. cartologist

Not as high res from Amazon.

21. cartologist

22. Alon Wasserman

Alon Wasserman Forum Resident

Deal seems to be over? Thought it would end at end of day today, but apparently it's already expired...

23. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Hopefully the sale will come back around sometime. —maybe this summer.

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Perhaps the time difference plays a role here: Western Europe, including Germany but with the exception of the UK, Ireland and Portugal, is on Central European Time, which is US Eastern Time + 6.

25. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I was the one who wrote it would "be over by the 18th," and I was deliberately vague since my source was equally imprecise. It turned out it ended at midnight Sunday.