Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

I actually expected much more from Tower Records Shibuya based on its reputation but was quite disappointed by it (however, it's nice to see all the Japanese box set releases in person). The few large CD stores I've seen in Berlin have a much more impressive classical collection. On the other hand, RecoFan is a real gem, by far the best vinyl store I've ever seen.

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Any info on where the current best price on this Bruno Walter is?

3. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

Thanks.

Yes, prices are rising in a few items. I bought Karl Böhm Complete Operas box at 68.33 pounds and now it's 167.

Gentian likes this.
  4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

No-I ordered from jpc.de based on their reliability and I haven’t really spent any time searching for price comparisons.

giantleech likes this.
  5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As far as I can see JPC Germany is the only store that currently lists the Walter set. Nothing on any Amazon site yet.

Gentian and giantleech like this.
  6. bluebanshee76

bluebanshee76 Forum Resident

I scored the Vienna Philharmonics 175th Anniversary Set, the BSO Complete DG box, the Martha Argerich Box and the Amadeus Quartet Complete DG box for 180£ in Total + 9£ shipping to Germany instead of 380£. But my wishlist ist still too long.

NYMets41, Wes H, cdgenarian and 2 others like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The upcoming big Bruno Walter box (scheduled release date October 18) is beginning to appear on several European Amazon sites - no price yet, though. The ASIN is B07MWXGCW

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Amazon Germany's current pre-order price is 232 euros plus shipping and including VAT, which will be deducted from non-EU orders.

9. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

Runicen, bluemooze, Imagine70 and 4 others like this.
  10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The ones relevant to this thread would appear to be:

Harnoncourt Complete (61 CDs + 3 DVDV) - $52.50 - Harnoncourt: The Complete Sony Recordings

Bernstein Remastered (100 CDs) - $85.42 - Leonard Bernstein Remastered

Living Stereo box (60 CDs) - $82.00 - Living Stereo - The Remastered Collector's Edition

NY Phil (65 CDs) - $59.92 - New York Philharmonic – 175th Anniversary Edition

Horowitz Unreleased Live (50 CDs) - $82.77 - Vladimir Horowitz: The Unreleased Live Recordings 1966-1983

11. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

I'm absent of much Harnoncourt so I jumped on at that price! Thanks for posting :)

12. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Unsure if opera qualifies...
    Just purchased two Mara Callas sets

Complete Studio Recordings 69 discs just under $150. And her complete live box 45 discs $89.

I have been tracking them forever. The prices dropped (the studio box was $250) so I went for them. Now I need the time to listen to them.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That looks like a good box, I was a bit apprehensive checking out since they don't give you the exact shipping cost to the US, but bill you afterward.

One other from that sale that is decent is the John Browning box- the Beethoven Op. 110 is one of the best I've heard on record. For that alone I was happy with the ~$25 I paid. There are a few other excellent performances on it.

Andy Dursin likes this.
  14. bluebanshee76

bluebanshee76 Forum Resident

And Bernstein it is...

Daedalus and bluemooze like this.
  15. Gentian

Gentian Forum Resident

What a coincidence: Amazon.co.uk has lowered the prices of most of these boxes… ;-)

Andy Dursin likes this.
  16. Andy Dursin

Indeed they did and the shipping is far less than Presto's...the Harnoncourt was going to cost me an additional 15 GBP to the USA making it roughly $70+ or so. I can get it shipped for $55 from Amazon UK instead.

17. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Interesting. On its "basket" page, Presto has indicated '$3.70 for the first item and $1.50 for each add'l item' (to the USA). I've got 10 items in my basket (including the Harnoncourt, and Presto is indicating $17.25 for shipping, which works out to be correct. So, even if I removed the Harnoncourt, I'd only be saving $1.50 in shipping. Must be a shipping surcharge on one-item orders over a certain weight...:confused:

18. Andy Dursin

There's a disclaimer next to the Harnoncourt that indicates (but doesn't specify) the added weight charge for this specific item -- I hadn't seen it until I checked out but hvbias mentioned it above. Fortunately Presto contacted me this morning, asking if I wanted to keep the order but that there would be a 15GBP additional fee due to the heavy weight of the Harnoncourt box (it would necessitate being shipped a different method I believe also).

I have a couple of other things I wanted to buy at Amazon UK so while I appreciate Presto's superior service, this is a case where much of the savings for me are being stripped out by the (understandable) additional shipping charge.

cdgenarian likes this.
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

20. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Just ordered Bernstein Remastered direct from MovieMars for $70 and change shipped.

21. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I have speculated on these pages that there will be an Isaac Stern Box coming out to coincide with his centennial in 2020, and the Bernstein Remastered box reinforces that assumption since it contains a bunch of recently remastered Stern/Bernstein performances. Virtually all the other cds in that Bernstein box come from other, recent boxes (as documented in John Fowler's Amazon review + from the Vocal Works Box published after the review was written). That the Stern remastered performances are the only odd ones out (=not having been published) is a pretty sure indication of another box showing up soon.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  22. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

I’ve been waiting for this one, too. Hope you’re right. It has seemed to me that, as a prized holding of the Sony catalog, it is strange that we haven’t seen a Stern box in the ‘Mega-box’ age.

23. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Me, I'm still waiting for an E. Power Biggs set.

Robur, misterjones, MrSka57 and 2 others like this.
  24. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

Just made a bunch of Sony box set orders from Presto: Bernstein Remastered, Great Moments in Carnegie Hall, Horowitz Unreleased Live, etc. However, Presto's packing quality nowadays continues to leave a lot to be desired...

Bubbamike likes this.
  25. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

FYI, for my order of the above sets, they charged me a surcharge of over 80 pounds.

Andy Dursin and ClassicalCD like this.