Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Ha, superlatively foolish perhaps. Well, it's the result of 32 years of collecting cds, during which time I had given up drinking and smoking, did not have a car, etc. CDs and stereo equipment and instruments were what I spend my money on. And one decade in there I was a widower and as a result could go WILD.

That chapter is over, I'm turning the page.

2. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I don't have the old CDs, so if you have both you must be right. My mistake.

3. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

No mention a lot of recordings are not available at streaming services. For example Mahler's 7th by Klemperer-NPO, a lot of Orpheus Chamber Orchestra cd's...

And nobody will take away those cd's. And the enjoyment watching your cd shelves... :love:

4. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

A wise move, probably. Still, now I'm curious how much vinyl you still own... ;)

5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I got this email today from Bull Moose:

We just wanted to let you know that the release of:

BACKHAUS,WILHELM/WILHELM BACKHAUS: COMPLETE DECCA RECORDINGS@39 CD

Has been delayed indefinitely. It was previously scheduled for Sep 06, 2019. We’re very sorry about this!

Anybody know if this box has been canceled?

hvbias likes this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Amazon Germany's release date has been changed to December 31...

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I sold around $20k to 30k in vinyl in the last few years and it felt amazing. So much of what I owned just "for the sake of owning", I now love listening to music than any other time in the past. Felt so good to unburden myself of it. It was easy to get caught in the vinyl reissue/audiophile pressing fever and hunt for original pressings, I was enjoying having the music more than I did the music itself. I'm just not a big fan of the greater than 90-95% of the classic rock bands discussed here.

I stopped listening to classical from roughly the time when I joined this forum and only since around 2014ish did I see how much I missed it. In that time period I bought classical on vinyl, but I couldn't get past the loss in fidelity after half of a side of a record, particularly with symphony music, so I just stopped and continued down the path of buying other vinyl.

Many of my classical/jazz CDs seem to have gone out of print as well, I brought Anner Bylsma's Bach Cello Suites double disc from storage after hearing of his passing and this is one which Sony have foolishly taken out of print. I loved rediscovering the performances on that.

bluemooze, 5-String and crispi like this.
  8. Lonson

I have about 1000 LPs.

Sorcerer likes this.
  9. Lonson

That promising for similar good results for me. I'm hoping I can keep on this path and feel good about it.

Sorcerer likes this.
  10. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

If you love music, the only reason I can think of not to buy CDs is because you can't. Finicky streaming services simply are no substitute. But human beings are this way, we are pleased by the alternation of tension and distention. Once you've got rid of a number of precious CDs it's possible you'll start craving them again.

11. Lonson

I suspect I will. And I may start the whole process up again. If so I'll have made space and I'll have room for acquisitions for a while and won't need a storage unit for a while. And a wife that is a bit happier. That will be a win.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  12. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

It's important to get rid of the right CDs. I sold most rock CDs I owned around the year 2000 and have bought only a very small percentage back. And then sometimes in other superior editions.

Lonson likes this.
  13. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

DGG are bringing out a new complete Beethoven edition around November, I think. It consists of 118 CDs + 3 Blu-ray Audio discs + 2 DVDs. One of those Blurays contains the Kempff recordings mentioned above.
    The only link I can find is in German:

Deutsche Grammophon - der offizielle Shop - Beethoven - Die Neue Gesamtedition (Limitierte Auflage) - Various - Boxset

Sunburst Finish, Sorcerer and crispi like this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Start slow and with things you know you don't want. This is how I started and after that it took off like a jet. Much of what I was buying was just because it was on AP, Music Matters or MFSL but had only a passing interest in the music. On this forum it was easy to get caught in the hype. I became one of the buying music just because it sounded good or was on a good reissue label and it felt good to curb that behavior.

Now when I buy CDs I 100% know I want them for the performance. I listened to around a dozen Well Tempered Claviers (not entirely all the way through) and only bought 2 to add to my small collection of WTCs.

I don't think you should view it as never expanding your collection again, just expand it with music you love :)

Edit: I didn't do it for space, money or something my wife said (she is super tolerating), for me it was just I wanted it gone. Hard to describe it better than that.

Robur and Runicen like this.
  15. Lonson

Well, I have very expansive tastes and really wish I had all my collection available, and the time to listen to it all, so it's going to be hard to get rid of a lot of it. Classical is not that heavily a part of my collection and except for Beethoven string quartets I don't have a lot of duplicate interpretations. I can easily get rid of all my rock except perhaps for Jimi, the Dead, Free, Tull and Yes. The vast majority of my collection is jazz of 1917 to 2019 and that is going to be hard to separate myself from other than duplicates which I'm tackling first. But I hope I keep at it.

Robur, Salvatore Massaro and Sorcerer like this.
  16. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

How are you getting rid of your jazz cds? Ebay? Discogs? Is there anything us forum members can help with your culling effort? ;) I actually just started the process of collecting jazz cds but have found the process of acquiring some titles exhausting on the used market.

17. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

cdgenarian likes this.
  18. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

This quote - emphasised in the article - is a distortion of what they actually found.

What they did was buy the five CHEAPEST box sets from each source. That the cheapest are counterfeit isn't that surprising. But the quote makes it seem as if every box set sold by Amazon / Ebay is counterfeit - and this is not at all true.

Sorcerer, Bubbamike and crispi like this.
  19. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

Was there another article with more details? The one linked states that "40 boxsets on eBay, 32 on AliExpress" were purchased and all of those were counterfeit.

20. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Yes - see this thread.

And adding the relevant quote:

• A recent sample purchase program found 100% of new high quality box sets offered for sale through eBay or AliExpress in the U.S. were counterfeit;

For the study on box sets of music, we identified and made test buys on eBay and AliExpress’s U.S. platforms of 10 well known artist box set titles released by major U.S record labels. Each purchase was made after a search for “brand new” box sets of the titles selected, and a purchase of the 4 lowest priced box sets on each platform, without regard to seller location. We then examined the products that were shipped to us. On both eBay and AliExpress, 100% of the test buys of the box sets were counterfeit. This is of particular concern as box sets are premium physical music products designed for the superfan that often contain the most significant sound recordings in an artist’s repertoire.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    nigels likes this.
  21. Lonson

I have been selling them on this and other forums so far.

nigels likes this.
  22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I bought the Pure McCartney collection when it was on offer from a third-party seller fulfilled by Amazon, and received a pirated copy. Amazon then received its own stock, and sold it at pretty much the same price, so I bought one directly from Amazon and received the real deal. After informing Amazon, I returned the pirated copy, and wrote a review for Amazon's site warning customers that the third-party seller was dealing in knock-offs. Amazon pulled my review, and I had a long dialog with them about it -- I explained that I didn't expect their warehouse staff to be able to spot the fakes (which was difficult), and appreciated that they simply ship what they have been provided and that my review was in no way a criticism of Amazon's fulfillment service, but they would not budge, even though I was pointing out illegal activity to them that could reflect negatively on Amazon by association.

The number of 'grey area' CDs on the European Amazon sites, sold by Amazon, is mystifying to me. I would have thought that the RIAA and IFPI would be all over them.

WaterLemon and crispi like this.
  23. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

1. The article doesn't seem to tell "how" the counterfeit CDs were detected. Any ideas? (Note: I have read to look for certain imprint artifacts on the CD, e.g., the "universal" symbol.)

2. I wonder what is the counterfeit ratio of rock/popular CDs to classical CDs? IOW, are classical CDs "safer" than others?

24. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

That really isn't what reviews are for - report the seller and move on. Feel free to report to RIAA and IFPI as well - they'd love to hear it.

RIAA and IFPI are trying - there's some question as to Amazon's immunity as an intermediary.

This is two years old but represented the current state of the law: Wait a Second: No Secondary Liability for Amazon Because It Doesn’t “Sell” Products On Its Website - Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal
    However, this just dropped, holding Amazon not immune from a products liability claim: https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/181041p.pdf

(not legal advice, obvi, just a rando dude on the internets)

bluemooze and crispi like this.
  25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I've seen many other Amazon reviews where complaints about sellers were allowed to stand. Mine was removed only because it involved Amazon Fulfillment.

ClassicalCD likes this.