Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The 25 euros price tag of the Pierre Monteux Complete Decca Recordings box on Amazon Germany was probably too good to be true - no price is mentioned now and the box is "temporarily unavailable". Some other Amazon sites still list October 25 as the release date. My order hasn't been cancelled (yet) by Amazon Germany, so here's hoping...

2. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

The box has been on sale for a long time, could anyone notice that there was a mistake? They can't say that the box is not available, it has yet to come out ...
    I ordered the same box on Amazon.it with a credit card without money for 53 euros, and they continue to give me the delivery between October 17th and 25th, even if no one asked me yet for the money and the box is now declared unavailable.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  3. Mr__Hump

Mr__Hump Forum Resident

Same here, although I have been given a delivery date of between 30 Oct - 2 Nov.

4. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

That's never been an issue for me. It's the music that counts although I understand why some people might abstain.

Mr. Siegal likes this.
  5. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

Not just on sale -- it was also their #1 seller in Classical for weeks. I can't believe it was a glitch. It's probably just listed as "unavailable" because they sold through their initial allotment and don't want to take more orders until they can fill them, especially now that we're closer to release.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There have been more glitches like that (pricing errors), so I wouldn't be suprised if this was another one.

7. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

The suspicion is that universal will soon release a complete edition (Wiener, berliner, london, chicago and others) full jacket, as they did on other occasions.
    Therefore I will wait for the price to be reduced by half.

deus62 likes this.
  8. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

9. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Beethoven 2020 DG on the Box Set Sale list from 331.00 for 249.00
    Beethoven Warner Complete Edition on the Box Set Sale list from 153.00 for 109.00

Hmmmm... it seems they forgot to use the "Everything for half of the double" slogan :laugh:

10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

What amazing times we live in in terms of getting such treasures for pennies. I am playing now the 1st cd with Horowitz testing the piano, improvising, talking. Unique.

bluemooze, TonyACT and DEVA like this.
  11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Fantastic! Nothing like Horowitz at his peak having some fun at the piano. This past week I was streaming a newer pianist's Scarlatti set, which caused me to do a deep dive on all those live Scarlatti recordings Horowitz made that I love.

zeram1 likes this.
  12. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Amazon has the DG 120 anniversary box set for $266 with free shipping for prime members.

Robur and Galley like this.
  13. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

This is not a mega box but I think you must be interested anyway.

Beethoven's symphonies conducted by Otto Klemperer in 1970, a cycle recorded by BBC. 5 bluray's with audio PCM Mono. In Europe it is sold exclusively by Zweitausendeins.de. It cost to me 113 €.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Amazing! All my thanks. Ordered!

bruckner13 likes this.
  15. alpsman

alpsman Well-Known Member

16. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Still more than The Beatles in Mono, so no. :laugh:

fogalu and Daedalus like this.
  17. Daedalus

Yes, the gold standard! Ha. Yes still a lot of $, but it seems to beat the other sellers by a considerable amount if someone may be contemplating it. It will probably vanish shortly into OOP territory.

18. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

$50.00 shipping!

I'm glad I have Prime.

19. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Hi all. Haven't bought a box for a few years - I've been busy (attempting) catching up on previous purchases.

However the 100 CD DHM box has caught my eye. There doesn't seem too much overlap with the 2014 50 CD box I have and I like the look of the contents.

I would be interested to hear opinions from anyone who has had the box for a while.

SteveKn likes this.
  20. Daedalus

So would I-I don’t have these.

TonyACT likes this.
  21. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Hello Tony,
    I do not have this box, but I can tell you it has received good/excelent reviews in this forum thread every time it has been mentioned. It had been with an excelent price on Amazon Spain (62 Euro) for over 1 year, but them suddenly it started disappearing from Amazon sites. I suspect it is going out of print...

Regards,
    Deva

Åke Bergvall and TonyACT like this.
  22. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I have had that box for a little over a year and I have listened about half of it, enjoying it very much.

I highly recommend it, buy it and I guarantee you will not regret your purchase. Repertoire is great, along with the performances and sound quality, my only regret is that it has only 100 CDs and not 200, or more.

23. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

That box was sold a few months ago for 49,90 euros on the German site jpc and maybe on Amazon.it. A great bargain, maybe the last stocks in the warehouse. I didn't buy it because I wasn't too interested in that kind of music, but those who bought it wrote very positive reviews.

TonyACT likes this.
  24. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

That's the way I felt about the 50 CD box.

Thanks everyone for the replies - I'm out of town on holiday for a few weeks but I think I'll purchase when I get home.

25. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

only a few more weeks until Beethoven 250 from DG, has anybody pre-ordered?