Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Then go for it.

I have both boxes and I like them so much that I don't even care about the duplication (I have not even checked it...)

cdgenarian and TonyACT like this.
  2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Is this the 50 CD box you are referring to?

[​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  3. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Yes - that's the one - been enjoying random dipping.

hvbias likes this.
  4. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

How did you find the recordings compared to his better known and more readily available recordings?

This review of different CDs referred to the 1970 performances as "slow and ponderous"?
    BEETHOVEN - Symphoniwa 4-6, Grosse Fuge Pristine Audio PASC369 [DD] : Classical Music Reviews - June 2013 MusicWeb-International

5. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

I saw a trailer of this release in Twitter. Later I found out in a forum (using Google search) that it will be only available at that german store. And yes, these performances are slower than previous EMI recordings. But it doesn't matter for me.

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Nice, enjoy. There is something about autumn that puts me in a HIP mood :) Most recent purchase being the Cafe Zimmermann Alpha box that I recently started.

7. bruckner13

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have. . . for my Dad.

Robur and TonyACT like this.
  9. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

I have still not ordered it, but the only thing preventing me to order it is the price, I would definetely order it if I could afford.
    i have pre-ordered the cheaper Warner upcoming complete set, but I am not ure if I will keep the order up until the release date, more inclined to cancel the order at moment.

TonyACT likes this.
  10. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have the Brilliant Classics Beethoven box and lots of single discs of favorite works - enough for me. My box purchases these days are reserved for exploring new repertoire.

zeram1 and Michael H like this.
  11. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

I am not very interested in purchasing the Deutsche Gramophon box because I suppose I will have many duplicates.
    From this point of view, the duplicates I mean, the Warner box appears more interesting. I recently purchased the Warner box Paillard erato concerto and orchestral recordings. The CDs are beautiful, well recorded and all in jacket format. Unfortunately the box is oscene, the consistency is similar to that of a box of coffee pods and breaks at the first insertion. Certainly the content deserved a better container.
    The Warner Beethoven box seems to be similar to the Paillard one, so I think it suffers from the same problems.
    This is a good reason for me not to buy it, especially considering the fact that it is not jacket.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    cdgenarian likes this.
  12. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

13. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Michael H, Luisboa and TonyACT like this.
  14. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

I recently ordered this from Amazon Italy
    Wow - that's a great price! I bought it from Amazon France about a year and a half ago when it was about 40 euro ... loved it!

15. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  16. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Count yourself very lucky ....

Even though you have to pay a bit extra (ie your extra VAT) at least Amazon will ship to you.

In protest about Australia telling Amazon that they must collect our GST Tax (10%) for goods shipped to Australia, Amazon are refusing to ship goods to Australia from all but some of the USA store.

I used to buy a huge amount of music and movies from Amazon UK. On the bright side Amazon have saved me a huge amount of money :(

17. bruckner13

Michael H, bluemooze, TonyACT and 6 others like this.
  18. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

One of the best boxes out there. As David Hurwitz puts it in his review, any one of the recordings in that box is likely to be a top contender.

hvbias and cdgenarian like this.
  19. Daedalus

An excellent box set. I also look forward to the upcoming Bruno Walter box set.

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I wish I had more time to listen to orchestral recordings (enjoy them only on speakers), Szell really is magnificent. I estimate I've only heard a third of that box that is new to me.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

22. Daedalus

TonyACT likes this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Their price was 300 euros (including VAT) when the box first appeared on their site months ago. A 33.3% price drop isn't bad :)

Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  24. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

My credit card was charged yesterday for this order and it is scheduled for dispatch so I expect it will be shipped as ordered. :goodie:

TonyACT, J Luc, David*M and 2 others like this.
  25. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

No good news for me. Amazon.it has knocked for money (the credit card is empty) a sign that the shipment is imminent. From Germany no new (they didn't take money from the card that had money), but the delivery is still scheduled for November 4th.
    I still have 4 days to wait with Amazon.it before they cancel my order (price 53 euro against 31,17, shipment included)...