Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

DG released 2 Abbado "Orchestra sets" so far, Berlin and Chicago, and the Vienna set is scheduled for January 2020. An earlier Universal set included Decca recordings, and, as you said, there's the Sony Abbado RCA and Columbia set, of course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  2. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

3. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

Less than half as many discs as their 60-disc 2007 Beethoven Complete Masterpieces box set....and speaking of that, does anyone have any thoughts as to how that release stacks up to these newer releases in terms of content and performances? Was curious, it can be found relatively inexpensively.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Luisboa likes this.
  4. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I have mixed feelings about these one. Finally Sony makes their move, and this box is great, but on the other hand it feels a little short after the other 3 big Beethoven boxes (4 if we count the Brilliant classics box).

cdgenarian likes this.
  5. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

There are some outstanding recordings in this box by many of the greatest artists. Members of this forum may have already acquired some of the recordings in other box sets - but if you don't already have them this box is well worth buying.

6. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

I've been wanting to hear some of Sinopoli's recordings for a long time, and was excited to order this. Alas, the price may have been too good to be true. I just received this message from the seller, Super-CD (via Amazon.com):
    "I'm so sorry but i have to cancel your Order. We list all our Products witch the EAN of the back of the CD. These Barcodes are connected with the Amazon Catalogue. In this Case our CD "Maria Callas - Operas" has the same EAN with the Box you have ordered. I'm sorry but we don't have this Item. Therefore i have to send you a Refund. I'm already in Contact with Amazon to fix this error. please accept my apologies."

I've received the refund, although my order is still listed as being "shipped" on my Amazon account.

7. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

Just realized that it wasn't clear what box my previous message referred to. It was The Art of Giuseppe Sinopoli (Italian Decca, 16Cds) for $14.85 + shipping. As I said, the seller appears to have cancelled my order.

Rmihai0 likes this.
  8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

hvbias likes this.
  9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have had this on my interest list as well (I think it is the only complete set with boy sopranos)? If you read Amazon reviews a common theme is that when people rip discs they will get mislabeled tracks and they'll leave a one star review thinking that is being pulled from the CD (guessing they are using iTunes or Windows Media Player) when it is actually coming from an online metadata database.

So this has left me wondering if the duplications or missing cantatas are accurate or if these people are unfamiliar with the music and are misattributing it to the tags that are being pulled from the web?

Rmihai0, nigels and 5-String like this.
  10. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

That's a shame. I haven't received an email yet, but probably just a delay in processing relative to your order. Curious that mine is listed as shipped as well. So much for that.

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, reading the reviews is not exactly clear what is going on with this set.
    I have the Suzuki, Koopman, Gardiner and Leusink but not the complete Harnoncourt, although I have a few of the LPs. I remember it was back in mid to late 90s when the original box set came out.
    I was a starving grad student then and I could not afford to buy it and later it went OOP and was super expensive for quite some time until it was reissued.
    Maybe I 'll take a chance since Amazon offers easy returns.

nigels and hvbias like this.
  12. Rmihai0

Rmihai0 Thread Starter

Any idea about mastering / re-mastering? Sound quality?

13. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Why not buying the complete Bach from Teldec?
    More expensive, but more music also and the Cantatas are the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt...
    https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Complete-153-CDs/dp/B077QT18DW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=38YOK7EQ5N8LQ&keywords=complete+bach+edition&qid=1574218843&smid=AP3VA1GJZM3EQ&sprefix=complete+bach,aps,352&sr=8-2

I have the Gardiner, Koopman, Rilling and Harnoncourt and the last are probably my favorite ones, followed closely by Koopman and then Gardiner. Rilling is OK, but definitely not the best IMO...

ClassicalCD and 5-String like this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

If you decide to buy it do please post back if your set is fine. I am a bit hesitant to do too many more returns with Amazon, I had an issue with a pricey deionized water system and a laptop and after returning those items I got an email along the lines of "we notice you're returning a lot of items how can we help?" type of thing so I'm a bit worried about them banning my account :)

cdgenarian and 5-String like this.
  15. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I have no specific knowledge about this box, but Decca has a very good track record in general, and I do own the earlier ASMF argo box, which sounds just fine.

Rmihai0 likes this.
  16. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

6138 and cdgenarian like this.
  17. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Robur, Åke Bergvall and cdgenarian like this.
  18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It is not only the box set that is messed up but also the streaming version on Qobuz. Of course this makes sense since probably the source is the same.
    I was listening to Cantata no 3 this morning and I realized that instead of the first movement of BWV 3 I was listening to the first movement of BWV 58!
    They both use the same text, "Ach Gott, wie manches Herzeleid" which is probably the reason for the mix up.
    My guess is that the actual first movement of Cantata No 3 is in the place of the first movement of No 58, but I don't have the time to search right now.

nigels, ClassicalCD and hvbias like this.
  19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Really good info. Once I can get on a laptop I'll pose this question to GMG as I've seen a couple of people post this box in their listening to thread.

5-String likes this.
  20. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

Do you know if the same issues exist in the complete Teldec Bach set? (https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Complet...complete bach,aps,352&sr=8-2&tag=mfconvert-20)

21. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

Just did a bit of research. It appears that the issue of using BWV58 1st mvt for that in BWV3 goes as far back as this first CD reissue, http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Pic-Rec-BIG/HL-C01a[Teldec-6CD].jpg, which is then repeated for Vol 3 in the same series.
    However, liner notes from the original vinyl suggest that the correct version was originally recorded and published at one point. Weird.

hvbias and 5-String like this.
  22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, this is the cd that I streamed this morning on Qobuz.
    I just checked Cantata 58 on Qobuz on my phone and it has the same movement so it seems that Movement 1 of Cantata 3 is missing altogether from the collection.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I received my shipping notice: the Bruno Walter box is on its way from jpc.de.

Rmihai0, Bubbamike and cdgenarian like this.
  24. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

Did you find any duplicate CD (30&35, 36&29, 51&42, etc) as other Amazon reviewers noted?

hvbias likes this.
  25. Mr__Hump

Mr__Hump Forum Resident