Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Do apps like Keepa and Camel(x3) have real-time data?

DEVA likes this.
  2. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Amazon API is used every time a price comparison site or tool is used to inquiry the current price from Amazon database. Their API is more often used by digital influencers to promete their products on blogs, where the traffic is usually lower than on price comparison tools. Excess of traffic towards Amazon database by the same user is a problem, then to avoid being banned by Amazon what the price comparison sites or tools usually do is "caching" the inquiry results, that is, keeping the result of the inquiry stored locally to be re-used by other users of the tool is the same search is perfomed later, if well designed. Then the price would have a delay in comparison to the price in Amazon site. How many time of delay? It depends on the designer of the tool to determine, it could be from a few seconds to hours or days.

3. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Yes, and Amazon *itself* lists the lower price in the “New from ...” section on the main page of the items All I can guess is that they stopped the delivery for that price but can not rewrite their overall site code so fast.

From my native Germany, there is no more package or media mail postage possible, only the 2.5 times more expensive first class postage, that’s what my parents sent me in a newspaper clip.

So maybe these cheap mystery listings are international suppliers that can not actually send out their wares to the price in the system anymore?

4. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

I`m a bit late replying to this but thought that I would share an idea that I came up with for my Vinyl to stop it being pushed to the back in my Kallax cases, which I think is the problem that you are describing?
    I just got some tile profile, dirt cheap from a builders merchant or hardware store, and cut it to size to fit inside each individual case, with the widest side of the profile pointing up, and screwed down through the slots, this stops anything being pushed back further than you want it........I hope that this makes sense?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Matt Richardson, Robur and Runicen like this.
  5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

How much did they run you and how hard are they to cut?

6. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Very cool and sophisticated! :) A friend went to a hardware store and got flat wooden bars - same effect.

Malinky likes this.
  7. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

You will need the metal ones, not the plastic, in UK they are about £5 for a 3mtr run.....just cut with Hacksaw (metal saw).

Runicen likes this.
  8. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

Well, false alarm, thankfully. The ASMF 60 box shipped yesterday from Presto and was delivered here outside Philadelphia at 9:30 this morning! A happy and pleasant Easter weekend surprise. Best wishes for health and safety to all Mega-Boxers!

Robur and Runicen like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

10. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Carlos Bejeeber and ClassicalCD like this.
  11. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I’m glad that yours is coming! It looks like I chose the wrong vendor for this box! I preordered my ASMF 60 box from JPC. I’ve always had great service from them in the past.

I got my shipping notice last week and was thrilled that I was actually going to get it with all that’s going on right now. Then, four days later I got a notice that JPC had refunded my purchase fee to my credit card. I checked the tracking info to learn that my box had shipped, gotten to a central distribution site and then was turned around back to JPC. No explanation, just a refund. Sigh.....

Now I’ll have to find it somewhere else. :(

cdgenarian likes this.
  12. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

14. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

The Mozart concertos by Serkin with Abbado are fantastic. Among my favorites. Will be looking forward to getting this box.

15. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

I've had that happen once or twice with Amazon.fr/de -- in good times!

Alas this is probably the worst time to be ordering from overseas. There are enough issues trying to use the postal system right now in the USA never mind outside it.

Eigenvector likes this.
  16. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

This seller is putting up for auction on Ebay CDs and box sets from a large private collection. Some very interesting items. It is worth checking out.

17. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

The HM's 100 Great Recordings box arrived today from Amazon Spain, in a package that looked as if a tank had rolled over it. :D

It's mostly okay though, just the cover has split on three of the four corners. What would be the best way to fix this? Scotch tape on the inside to prevent the two sides from moving outward?

bluemooze and Rmihai0 like this.
  18. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Yes. Scotch fixes all.

Rmihai0 and Robur like this.
  19. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

This one from Trader Joe's is rather underrated ... and goes well with classical music:

[​IMG]

20. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

I fear scotch like the plague on my CDs...
    Much better sheet of paper and glue even if it takes longer!

Robur and Rmihai0 like this.
  21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

If you want a seamless repair, I'd probably recommend book glue. By design, it shouldn't be destructive to paper and it should dry clear.

I'm not (too) ashamed to admit that I once used leftover glue from a speaker foam surround replacement on a particularly destroyed box set I got. Same basic principle, though I have no idea if it'll end up causing more problems with the paper over time than the proper adhesives.

bluemooze, Rmihai0 and Robur like this.
  22. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

I've never done a repair like that, happy for glue recommendations. One of the three corners has been damaged quite a bit more after looking at it in broad daylight ...

[​IMG]

23. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

I glued a piece of cardboard with contact glue to the inside of Sviatoslav Richter's box. And it has worked for me. The problem with your box is that you have to fit the lid with the rest of the box. Use a strip of plastic acetate, for example, to stick it on.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Rmihai0 and Robur like this.
  24. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

I've used clear "Gorilla glue" on the inside of a box with a split end and it binded tight on the affected edges with little cosmetic effect. A tight rubber band around the outside of the box can be used to hold it together while it bonds, just give it a little while. (Yes I've had to do this before! :) Happy Easter!

Robur and Runicen like this.
  25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have used this same method.

Robur likes this.