Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

The 100 discs (all original jacket, no extra content) means that the 49 discs of Bach I have come to about 65 in the box.

and at almost $200, it is too much money.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Carlos Bejeeber and Four Bs like this.
  2. Four Bs

Four Bs Forum Resident

I like Richter’s Bach interpretations a lot, but I’m not sure how much of his music by other composers I’ve heard. But having purchased the relatively recent DG “Revealing Bach” instrumental set (18 CDs) and cantata box (26 CDs), it’s hard for me to justify buying this box (which is not to say I may not come up with a justification that I suspect will be based on my unfamiliarity with his performances of other composers).

6138, TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  3. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Salvatore Massaro likes this.
  4. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

5. Salvatore Massaro

Salvatore Massaro Forum Resident

This really is a nice set. The usual response to collections like this is to say stuffily that none of these is "first choice." But arguably Fischer's complete Haydn symphonies set, which makes up much of the box, is first choice, or at least one of the best. When I got this set, the rest of it made a very useful introduction to other symphonies I didn't know well or even at all. For the price, depending on your needs and obsessions, this is an excellent deal.

6. This is another interesting set that came out last week. All of Maria João Pires' recordings on Deutsche Grammophon. Since I already own at least half of what's in there I don't need it and for 38 CDs this is a bit expensive, but at least it's full of beautiful music:

MARIA JOÃO PIRES Complete Recordings on Deutsche Grammophon

bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  7. cws

cws Forum Resident

I agree. This is a useful jumping off point for the neophyte. I was listening to Fischer's early Haydn symphonies yesterday (which form part of the huge 160CD Haydn Brilliant set I got for mere pennies from Amazon.it some time ago): joyous and committed music-making that would be hard to transcend.

TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  8. bruckner13

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The great Itzhak Perlman. Family gets together! :pineapple:

layman, Robur, bluemooze and 9 others like this.
  9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Surely, the photos for the Sony and DG covers must have come from the same photo session? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

10. bruckner13

That's because they just arrived to me. I bought them from Rarewaves.

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Maybe I'm not making my point clearly enough. I'm surprised that the art departments of two different record labels used images from (seemingly) the same photo session for the covers of their respective boxes. One would think that this is going to lead to confusion, and possibly missed sales.

Torran, Four Bs and sambamaster like this.
  12. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I thought Sony now owned every label and every piece of music and every photograph of every musician in the universe.

Robur likes this.
  13. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Actually, I think it was intentional and possibly even a joint decision. The more they look like a matched set, the more likely one who buys one will want to buy the other.

Robur, TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  14. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

I fully agree with you.

And also, the age of Perlman in the picture does not even match with the age he was when he was recording for "Sony".

I´d very much prefer they had used this early career picture previously used in this box below instead:

[​IMG]

Robur, bluemooze, canzld and 2 others like this.
  15. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Only yesterday I got the (late) information that Julian Bream died on August,14th 2020.

Today I got an opportunity (still not accepted) to get this box-set below, released in 1993, for a fair price:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since it is not "original jacket" and rather uses the "as much music per CD as possible" concept (which is not of my preference), it looks like this 28 CD collection above has almost everything that is present in the 40 CD collection remastered in 2013 (box below):

[​IMG]

Does anybody who owns this gorgeus (and currently very expensive) 2013 box-set had had the opportunity to compare the audio quality with the previous 1993 remastering and could comment on that? This 1993 box-set I came accross was offered to me for a fair price here locally, which does not mean it is a cheap price, then I´d like to know if the 1993 remastering, present on the CD´s which were also released individually, are far to worst than the 2013 ones.

regards,
    DB

16. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Itzhak himself might have had some say.

Robur likes this.
  17. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Hokay, where is the best price on this one to be had?

18. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Sorry,
    I have only the 2013 box set so I couldnt make a comparison... I had nothing about guitar when I bought it, one of my first big cds boxes....

19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That could well be the case, but it still strikes me as odd. While I appreciate the matched set argument, it could deter sales because a purchaser assumes they already have the other box based on the common images.

croquetlawns and misterjones like this.
  20. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm still not seeing "Wilhelm Kempff Edition" on Amazon or any other North American site.

With a late October release, it may not show up for a week or two yet.

21. Alon Wasserman

Alon Wasserman Forum Resident

New Samson François edition coming out in October. It will contain 54 CDs and 1 DVD, as compared with the 36 CDs in the old OOP edition. This one will be in original jacket style, which probably explains most of the difference in the number of CDs. There is a June 1970 France recital (CDs 53-54), a 1969 Tokyo recital (CD 52) and the DVD documentary (written by his son), which are new. I'm not sure whether anything else is new - contents are listed here (and also a 99.99 EUR price), so if someone wants to make the effort to compare contents, that would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

layman, bluemooze, Torran and 3 others like this.
  22. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

bluemooze and Mr. H like this.
  24. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

I hope the warner people are smart enough to make a strong enough container, like the one used for cluytens...

25. Alon Wasserman

Alon Wasserman Forum Resident

bluemooze and RiRiIII like this.