Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just ordered, price in Oz dollars:

[​IMG]

2. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Oh, and one of the occupational hazards of mega-box buying.

^ ANOTHER Four Seasons.

Just what every household needs :cool:

Runicen, Robur and J.A.W. like this.
  3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Considering how much they can vary, it may not be too bad :)

4. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Forgot to mention it's the Standage version which I already have. I have a thread here somewhere in which I asked how many different Four Seasons people have. I'm up to 15 or so. This is (luckily) my first duplicate of it.

One of only two duplicate pieces in the box for me - the other is the Milstein Tchaikovsky concerto; but that disc has some extras I don't have.

5. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Ahh, I was considering this one , & the 111 series Conductors box, but went with the Bernstein Symphony one. For now.

TonyACT likes this.
  6. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

A baroque piece with a violin soloist? Eh, they're all the same. :laugh:

TonyACT, croquetlawns and Robur like this.
  7. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

This thread is really dangerous. I couldn't resist and just bought this box (the seller accepted a 'best offer' of $115 and shipping is free, though of course there is NYC tax). My wife is going to be very unhappy. I figure I can sell my Essential Toscanini box set for $30+ and save a little room on the shelf. Plus there's room in the box for the discs from my Music & Arts Toscanini 1939 Beethoven cycle box and EMI Toscanini BBC recordings box, which will save a bit more shelf space (I'm grasping at straws here). Incidentally, another copy of the RCA Complete box in excellent condition with a lid sold last month on ebay for $162 plus $25 shipping, so don't be fooled by the sky-high prices on Amazon.

Now the big question. Does anyone have any bright ideas about how to fabricate a replacement lid for the box?

8. George P

George P Notable Member

What I would do is put the discs on a shelf. They are labeled on the spine, so they can be easily identified.

TonyACT likes this.
  9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I enjoy reading this thread. I’ve been tempted but so far only bought one set, the Leonard Bernstein set of his show tunes. Love it but it’s small in comparison to most of the ones listed.

So I’m curious, do you folks rip these giant sets or just play the CDs?

TonyACT likes this.
  10. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I rip them as soon as I get them. It takes a few evenings to rip the biggest ones, but I love having easy, instant access to all the music.

Pizza likes this.
  11. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

I hope to make some of you happy with this post.

Talking about the Menuhin Century Box, it's now at 79,49€ on Amazon Italy (it was 140,99€ yesterday). It's not a discount, seems a new, lower price. I don't know how much it'll last.
    The Menuhin Century (91 CDs)

bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  12. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

PM me when you are ready to sell, a I’ll see if I can help you out :righton:

TonyACT likes this.
  13. Mooch174

Mooch174 Forum Resident

I’m not sure why, but it looks like they won’t ship to Canada :(

14. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

This is why I kinda shy away from these DG boxes now. They are masters in repackaging. And then, against better knowledge, I let myself get carried away again.

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  15. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

I'd ask our friend north of you, maybe his wife can even swim down to NY and deliver it? ;)

I'm kinda behind ripping even my one-shot CDs jazz, electronica and pop CDs these days, not even looking at any classic mega boxes. Those I just listen to for now. Plus, I do like the haptic feeling of actually putting a CD in the player and going through a box in a linear way.

I might start ripping them once I move to a bigger place where my desk is further away from my speakers. ;)

16. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Mine sit on a shelf and I play the CDs. I have less than zero desire to rip 3,000 or so CDs - sounds too much like hard work :agree:

17. croquetlawns

I grew up listening to the Nigel Kennedy 1989 album, and when I first heard the Henryk Szeryng version I kept thinking, 'this doesn't sound right' :shake: :laugh:

Robur, canzld, zeram1 and 2 others like this.
  18. cws

cws Forum Resident

Haha. Did you come to appreciate the Szeryng? I think the violin piece of which I have the most recordings is Tchaikovsky's violin concerto. It was one of the seminal pieces of classical music that sparked my interest almost thirty years ago! Szeryng's box set alone provides several examples.

canzld and TonyACT like this.
  19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

The DG 111 sets are very good. I have the Piano set and the collected box of the two label overview 111 boxes. And recently I picked up the 120 box.

20. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I’m with you on that. Just play the CDs. They will outlive us anyway -so, as someone famous once said, “ What me worry?”

Robur, TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  21. croquetlawns

Appreciate the Szeryng: yes. Prefer it: not yet! I might also rate the Biondi above the Szeryng as well.
    I think that there's an amazing vitality to the Kennedy, but I fully appreciate that it's probably just that I'm very familiar with it! I've had a similar experience recently hearing the Abbado Mozart Requiem for the first time having lived with the von Karajan for decades - I'm new to having multiple versions of the same material.

A question for our thread contributors - do most of you still prefer the version of a piece that you first got to know really well over versions you acquire later?

TonyACT likes this.
  22. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

And the Tchaikovsky is one where I prefer Nigel Kennedy :laugh:

cws and croquetlawns like this.
  23. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

Yup, that thought had occurred to me! But I was thinking of something a little bit simpler, such as a modified cardboard shoebox cover.

Robur, canzld and TonyACT like this.
  24. croquetlawns

Just wait for the Nigel Kennedy mega-box... or has it already been done? :)

cws and TonyACT like this.
  25. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

Maybe half of the time I "imprint" on the first version I hear, which then becomes the standard by which others are judged. But other times I haven't "gotten" the music the first time around, and it's only listening to a different performance at a later date that I begin to understand what makes the music great. Not sure that's a helpful answer.

Robur, canzld, cws and 2 others like this.