Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Full sized? No. It had a decent, robust sound, but I don't recall what it looked like.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have seen a few photos of pipe organ in a box. Obviously the pipes that fit inside a box cannot produce hall/church shaking sound but it is still 'pipe' organ ...

3. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

Andre Previn has never been on my radar, so I'm not familiar with what he recorded, for which label, and when. Or whether he was strongest in a certain period. Curious to get people's take on the upcoming Previn Complete HMV & Teldec box versus the OOP Classic Andre Previn box.

Robur and croquetlawns like this.
  4. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I nominate Gino Vannelli as envoy

5. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Am I the only one who, upon glancing at the title on the box, saw it as “Beyoncé”?

6. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Yes I have the three first Rampal boxes (which I enjoy a lot), but there is less overlap with the Paillard box than I first expected: Rampal often used different orchestras, and Paillard also uses other solo flutists than Rampal: I think there is less than 1/2 dozen CDs common to both.

cws and Randy Lane like this.
  7. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I am really enjoying it so far. I've only listening to about 10 of the 133 discs, but I've really been preferring the concerto form recently so this set is perfect for that.

The sheer size also gives you a lot of deep cuts, compared to other box sets that just touch on the standard repertoire. It's really nice to discover more composers that I can look into for their other works.

Normally I probably would have waited for the price to drop a bit more, but it ended up being a present. From me to me!

8. coopmv

With generous discounts of big boxes at Amazon AU and free shipping, everyday is Christmas for you ... :D

Max Florian and jɑmbo like this.
  9. 'As You Know' Bob

'As You Know' Bob Active Member

Hi, everyone. "Long-time lurker, my first time posting"....

I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about the "Vivaldi Edition" on Naïve?
    I see that they're now up to 65 volumes (and perhaps 100? discs) - but does anyone know how far along they are? (Half-way? 90%?)

Because it's long seemed to me that a complete "Vivaldi Edition" would be a natural candidate for the next single-composer Mega Box.

Eigenvector and misterjones like this.
  10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I thought the same and had to look more closely to read it!

11. misterjones

This article suggests the project will be finished in 2027 and will consist of about 95 releases -
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwcl...be-Released-on-Naves-Vivaldi-Edition-20200916
    I suspect they are falling behind on that three releases per year that will conclude the project in seven years.

So I'd assume there will be no mega-box for a while.

bluemooze and croquetlawns like this.
  12. misterjones

This box was issued a few years back (and smaller boxes have been issued, like Vivaldi Voices, which I have):[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  13. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    That is a great box, though a bit pricey it seems.

Many complain about the CD holders - they are not the best for sure, but I manage OK.

With this recent release I believe they are finished with the operas:

Agrippo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KR2P1G4/

[​IMG]

14. misterjones

The cover art bugs me, not because they are bad or uninteresting pictures, but because Naive (mostly) does not even try to make a connection with the content. The selection appears to be random. When there is a connection, it can be a bit silly, like the following:

[​IMG]

ClassicalCD, Robur, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  15. 'As You Know' Bob

Thanks, everyone, that's the sort of information that I was seeking (and was sure would be found in this community).

There are a couple of series - JEG's Bach cantatas come to mind - where I have diligently purchased them as they were issued - and then, when the project is finished, they've IMMEDIATELY been reissued as a Mega-Box (at significant savings).

The Naïve Vivaldi releases are pricey enough that I have not wanted to be caught out like that yet again.

16. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

The Vivaldi Edition recordings have been underway for many years, first by Opus 111 and now by successor Naive. The covers have been controversial from the beginning (often noted, for better or worse, by reviewers). You're right that they usually have no connection to the music, but they do have a 'theme' in that they are connected to each other. They are clearly part of a common photograhic 'set' (however eccentric) and are immediately identifiable as part of the Vivaldi Edition.

Just my opinion, but I've always enjoyed them. For me, the world doesn't need yet another CD with a tired line-drawing of a baroque composer, nor even worse, an even-more tired photograph of the musician(s) involved.

Here's one of my favorites:

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

I have 2 Vivaldi boxes - 18 CD's and 18 LP's each but they are both instrumental works. Where in the world are they gonna to dig up all the yet unrecorded Vivaldi works to make up all those future volumes. Did Vivaldi really compose so many baroque operas that could take up all these future volumes?

I only have 1 box titled Voice but have not kept up. I have an enthusiasm problem here as Vivaldi is no Handel. While I have most of the recorded Handel operas and oratorios, I only buy the recordings because I want to listen to them, not just for the sake of owning them ...

bluemooze and cartologist like this.
  18. misterjones

I agree, but still think there should be some connection with the subject matter, even if abstract and not readily apparent. Besides, the Naive covers are becoming a bit trite. "Put some sticks in her hair. Great! Now the veil. Fantastic! OK, open your mouth really wide and bug . . . wait . . . roll your eyes . . . the other way. Excellent, we're set! Crap! I forgot the wind machine again. Everyone break for lunch."

Max Florian, Robur and croquetlawns like this.
  19. 'As You Know' Bob

I think I have that same LP box (the I Musici?), but I don't think I've played it this century.

> Where in the world are they gonna to dig up all the yet unrecorded Vivaldi works to make up all those future volumes.

Naïve has access to the Vivaldi archives at the Italian National Library - with a total of ~450 works in the pipeline:

About – The Vivaldi Edition

They've issued 65 volumes, and it was reported upthread that the project should top out at around 95 volumes.

bluemooze and croquetlawns like this.
  20. coopmv

I vaguely remember Vivaldi composed many operas and many have never been recorded. I doubt I will want to be bothered. While I may have 15 versions of Bach St. Matthew Passion, I simply cannot approach Vivaldi vocal works with the same enthusiasm ...

cartologist likes this.
  21. coopmv

She gives Guy some serious competition ... :laughup:

[​IMG]

22. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Nobody learned from the Gardiner Cantatas, huh.

23. coopmv

You meant the CD cover that looks like picture of the Easter Island for his Bach Easter Oratorio recording? :laughup:

[​IMG]

24. misterjones

I always assumed they were the same photos (further assuming that some of the Naive recordings were recorded by Gardiner). I'm not sure why the multi-cultural (and presumably omni-religious) theme is necessary or even appropriate, but one either likes the music or not. I'm not sure the Gardiner photos serve to sell the music to anyone on (let alone near) the fence.

[​IMG]

ClassicalCD and bluemooze like this.
  25. coopmv

I already have JEG largely incomplete Bach cantatas he recorded with Archiv. As I already have 3 Complete Bach Cantatas boxes - Koopman, Harnoncourt and Rilling, I am not all that convinced I need to get this box ...

ClassicalCD likes this.