Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

A Universal employee once said Neville Marriner's recorded legacy dwarf's Karajan's.

2. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

It'll be interesting to see if Sony will do a stereo box to go along with the mono legacy box.

A full stereo box would be over 200 discs I believe.

NorthNY Mark, Robur and RiRiIII like this.
  3. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

A fact that this parrot knew very well. [​IMG]

Worker, ubertrout, layman and 18 others like this.
  4. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Well, I've considered and purchased it after everybody's glowing praises in here without being best buddies with the artist. :)

Also, people who would like to broaden their horizon but don't know about this forum are usually happy to get some recommendations. Else, with that same argument, we would send lots of professional reviewers and bloggers - who like to tell their audience about artists whom they might not have heard about otherwise - off to collect unemployment money.

I heard back from JPC re: the doubled CD, they will send out a replacement once it becomes available. The e-mail was in German, happy to post it in here upon request.

Four Bs and Runicen like this.
  5. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

does anybody here know if there ever was an extended box set on a flutist ? rampal or pahud maybe ? or a boxset dedicated to the flute ?

6. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Runicen, Robur and jimmydean like this.
  7. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Runicen, Aslak and jimmydean like this.
  8. Idjit Dragon

Idjit Dragon Forum Resident

I picked up the Jackets collection today from a second hand store, this should be a good start and she can branch off from there.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone

Cheers

Martin

9. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

If you're interested in baroque flute, which to me has a very different (and beautiful) sound compared to a modern metal flute, try these smaller boxes with Barthold Kuijken:

Barthold Kuijken - Flute Music of the Bach Family (The Accent Recordings 1978-2014)

Barthold Kuijken - French Flute Music (The Anccent Recordings 1979-2003)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Eigenvector, trix and jimmydean like this.
  10. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Always hate when a package clears customs and is ready for processing and then you get no updates the next day.

My Previn box is sitting in a mail sorting room somewhere, but I won't get it until Monday now.

Robur likes this.
  11. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

I believe the name Gulda was dropped somewhere in the last dozen pages? Et voilà: 37 CDs/1 BRA, coming out in two months (July 23).

Universal is again confused about what they are releasing. Instead of creating a box that contains all that he recorded across all labels, it's only Decca? Why not include e.g. the 1972 complete recording of "Das wohltemperierte Klavier" I/II (BMW 870-893) that was released on Philips?

I'm also not sure this box is calling my name. For some reason, I found his Bach - I have the Klavier in this box - rather dry and uninspired, despite the recording quality hype that surrounds it.

[​IMG]

CD 1-9 Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 1-32 (Decca Recordings 1950-1958)
    CD 10-15 Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 1-32 (Amadeo Recordings 1968)
    CD 19-21 Beethoven: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1-5 (Wiener Philharmoniker, Horst Stein / 1970 / 1971)
    CD 22 Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 14 & 31 (1950 / 1949)
    CD 23 Beethoven: Violinsonaten Nr. 7 & 8 (Ruggiero Ricci / 1954)
    CD 24 Beethoven: Klavierkonzert Nr. 1 (Wiener Philharmoniker, Karl Böhm / 1951); Eroica-Variationen op. 35 (1950); Bagatellen op. 126 Nr. 2 & 3 (1951)
    CD 25 Bach: Präludium & Fuge dis-moll BWV 877 aus WTK II; Englische Suite BWV 808; Mozart: Klaviersonaten Nr. 8 & 18; Rondo KV 485 (1953 / 1948)
    CD 26 Mozart: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 14, 25, 26 (London Symphony Orchestra, New Symphony Orchestra, Anthony Collins / 1954 / 1955)
    CD 27 / 28 Chopin: Klavierkonzert Nr. 1 (London Philharmonic Orchestra, Adrian Boult); Balladen Nr. 1-3; Preludes Nr. 1-24; Weber: Konzertstück f-moll op. 79 (Wiener Philharmoniker, Volkmar Andreae); Strauss: Burleske d-moll für Klavier & Orchester (London Symphony Orchestra, Anthony Collins) (1953-1956)
    CD 29 Schumann: Klavierkonzert op. 54 (Wiener Philharmoniker, Volkmar Andreae / 1956); Fantasiestücke op. 12; Waldszenen op. 82 (1955)
    CD 30 Debussy: Preludes Hefte 1 & 2 (1955); L'Isle joyeuse (1957)
    CD 31 Debussy: Suite bergamasque; Ravel; Valses nobles et sentimentales; Gaspard de la nuit (1957 / 1953)
    CD 32 Strauss: 13 Klavier-Lieder (Hilde Güden / 1956); Der Bürger als Edelmann-Suite (Wiener Philharmoniker, Lorin Maazel / 1966)
    CD 33 "The First Recordings 1947-1949" - Bach: Präludium & Fuge G-Dur BWV 860 aus WTK; Menuette I & II aus Partita BWV 825; Fuge aus BWV 911; Beethoven: Bagatelle op. 119 Nr. 11; 6 Ecossaisen WoO. 83; Chopin: Berceuse op. 57; Etüden Nr. 1 & 2; Ballade Nr. 3; Prokofieff: Klaviersonate Nr. 7; Debussy: L'isle joyeuse; Reflets dans l'eau; Mozart: Klaviersonate Nr. 18
    CD 34 Beethoven: Klaviersonate Nr. 32; Gulda: Wintermeditation (1984)
    CD 35 Schumann: Liederkreis op. 39 (Ursula Anders); Fantasiestücke op. 12 (1984)
    CD 36 "Gulda plays Gulda and Corea" - Gulda: Variations; For Paul; Prelude & Fugue; Sonatine; For Rico; Corea: Children's Songs Nr. 19 & 20 (1984)
    CD 37 "Friedrich Gulda and his Sextet at Birdland 1956" - Gulda: Quintet; Dark Glow; Introvert; Sctuby; Teheran; Air from other planets; New shoes; Cool Hill; Dodo; Gillespie: A Night in Tunesia; Heyman: Out of nowhere; Shearing: Lullaby of Birdland; Hammerstein / Kern: All the things you are; Miller: Bernie's Tune
    +Blu-ray Audio: Beethoven: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1-5 (Wiener Philharmoniker, Horst Stein / 1970 / 1971)

SOONERFAN, trix and croquetlawns like this.
  12. Randy Lane

Before that came the James Galway Complete Album Collection

[​IMG]

Still available
    https://www.amazon.com/James-Galway-Complete-Album-Collection/dp/B00IGGAG7M/

13. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

14. Åke Bergvall

For those on the fence about the Previn box, Jonathan Woolf has written an even-handed assessment here.

Michael H and RiRiIII like this.
  15. Randy Lane

Sorry.

I did not see a pix of the Galway box or the name Galway in any posts since the OP asked about flautist boxes. The post you reference only has an Amazon.co.jp link, and the only part of the link that gives any clue about what it is just has the name James.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Robur and juanmanuel like this.
  16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That is Gulda's style, they're very literal interpretations. From our PM discussions of Backhaus IMHO Backhaus was an interpretive master in nearly everything he recorded, Gulda is a very different hard virtuoso style. I personally find some of them interesting if you are looking to study the music, but I will be skipping the box. I find him most interesting in Mozart's Piano Sonatas and the Concerti, unfortunately the former are often recorded in poor quality as many of them are from his own personal recordings that sound like they are from cassettes. Most of it was on DG anyway which the box doesn't include.

From that box you pointed out I don't mind the JS Bach WTC he recorded though it would be among my least played sets. Like you say very dry, though I don't find it uninspired, I think his very measured tempi and lack of stark emphasis on counterpoint or voice leading compared to other pianists makes him sound uninspired. I think he did deeply love the music.

Robur likes this.
  17. Crimson King

Crimson King Silly Audiophile

Let's not get into this. I'm not responsible for other people's jobs and buy what I, not THEM, need. The candle makers went away mostly when electricity was discovered, and since the age of the internet, the number of reviewers decreased substantially. I used to love the penguin guides, where are they now? or the all music guides? I still would have bought them if they existed now but they don't. If you really think that, you should ask to ban amazon reviews altogether and not complain of a 1 star review. Of course, the ship has sailed.

18. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I think we all should be concerned about David Hurwitz's job.

Aslak, RiRiIII, Robur and 3 others like this.
  19. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I see lots of ostensibly "professional" on-line reviews. I still use the on-line version of AllMusic, for example. I used to have one of their paperback blues guides. Maybe it's a classical music thing.

Aslak, Robur and croquetlawns like this.
  20. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

He says there's "no market" but completely discounts the appeal for someone like me who is buying the discs for the first time pretty much.

21. Åke Bergvall

I completely agree with you, but it wasn't Woolfe who wrote that but his boss, in an unnecessary addition in my opinion. Like you I have very little Previn from earlier. Also, listening my way through the box I have no issues so far with the earlier masterings. And to be honest, I have not always been that impressed with the work done by Art & Son, especially compared to what to my (admittedly fallible) ears sounds like the more consistently superior remasterings (or even remixes) done by Andreas Meyer and others for Sony.

Aslak, Pétrouchka, shicorp and 3 others like this.
  22. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I think he meant a poor man’s Helmut Schmidt. I don’t know about Willy’s musicianship.

Åke Bergvall likes this.
  23. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

I'll have to give it another go, it's been a while since I've had that box out. Right now I'm going through the Böhm Symphonies and all of my previous reference recordings of Beethoven are crumbling away as I'm listening ... sometimes more than once. And the upcoming Böhm box is on my list, come hell or high water. Speaking of high water, keep reading ...

That would make two of us. I'm whole-heartedly embracing the embarrassment of riches we're living in. :)

Careful now. These four gentlemen would like to have a word with you. ;)

[​IMG]

Actually, I didn't know how invested he was:

Schmidt was a passionate pianist. Supposedly a head of government would only find time to plunk out a few notes now and then. Wrong, says Frantz: "As Chancellor he practiced a lot, maybe more than at any other time. He would say to me: 'It was a day with a thousand discussions and as many people,' depleting his strength - and afterwards, he needed music. And he stuck to it. Even if he got home at 1:00 a.m., he'd sit down at the piano for an hour and play Bach fugues. And then he'd say, 'So, now I'm in back in touch with myself. I can work well again tomorrow."

[​IMG]
    With Justus Frantz (l.) and Leonard Bernstein (m.)

Schmidt's musical interests weren't limited to classical. He adored jazz, swing and rock 'n' roll; Dave Brubeck and the Beatles were among his favorites. As Defense Minister in the Brandt administration, Schmidt founded the Bundeswehr (Federal Army) Big Band. Later, in the chancellery, he maintained close contact with the conductors Herbert von Karajan, Kurt Masur and Leonard Bernstein.

24. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Many recordings have been out of print for decades (some never on CD at all). That's enough reason to issue that set. It's just a shame that the same can't be done for Previn, the jazz/pop artist :(

25. Robur

Robur Paperback Writer

Wait, didn’t the reviewer talk about the Previn box? Or did you mean reviving the man and the legend himself? ;)

Also, don’t forget to pick up your membership card of the 700 (pages) club at the front desk, everybody. Congratulations and such!