Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Crimson King

Crimson King Silly Audiophile

2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

The only complete, label-specific pianist box I have is this one. A good musical investment several months back at $25.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cledwyn, RiRiIII, cws and 4 others like this.
  3. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

Yes, forthcoming.

bdjr likes this.
  4. Pierrot Lunaire

Pierrot Lunaire Forum Resident

Fabulous, can't wait!

bdjr likes this.
  5. bdjr

bdjr Forum Resident

Great, thank you!

6. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Thing is, a few people actually got the full Perlman box set when this happened previously with a Discogs seller.

Runicen and croquetlawns like this.
  7. misterjones

I think what puts the kibosh on this set for me is the number of "live" recordings. I listened to some of the live solo recordings (and clips) and I find the phlegm, even if occasional, too distracting. Consciously or subconsciously, I wait for the next cough rather than focusing on the music. This also is what mars much of the "live" Wagner I have.

5-String likes this.
  8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I didn't get mine - it's a lottery!

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct, I'm one of them :)

10. Crimson King

Crimson King Silly Audiophile

So? I wouldn't want to 'rob' a seller like that just because he made a mistake. Imagine you were the seller?

Michael H and cartologist like this.
  11. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

erin_violinist, bdjr and croquetlawns like this.
  12. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

13. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

That looks like a clamshell rather than the usual slipcase for these Warner composer boxes. That would be a disappointment

Luisboa likes this.
  14. bdjr

bdjr Forum Resident

Thank you for the heads up!

cartologist likes this.
  15. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I think this is a fair point for an indie seller, but PopMarket and Amazon are the two biggies who've pulled this in the past and, I've gotta be honest, I'm not going to lose sleep over either of those mega conglomerates losing a few pennies given the MANY goofy business practices that come from being near monopolies in their respective markets. PopMarket is a little less guilty of this, but I believe it's part of a family of companies all under one major umbrella which contains essentially ALL media distribution for the US. Hardly a mom and pop shop.

16. mkortjohn

mkortjohn Forum Resident

Hello all

I’m hoping to get some advice. My passion for classical music has recently been reignited. I have a few random classical recordings, but not much of a collection to speak of. I’m looking to jump start my collection with a CD “mega box”. Here’s a general idea of the collection I want, and I’m hoping some forum members have suggestions to help me get there! My knowledge of classical is that of a very casual listener, so I would like a box that helps broaden my exposure to the standard repertoire.

Characteristics of my first perfect box:

1. variety: I’d like a broad survey of some great standard recordings from baroque through early modern. I’d like a nice assortment of composers, but mostly the standards: Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Bizet, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Mahler, etc.

2. Well regarded performances: I’d like performances that are considered some of the best interpretations/performances over the last 60 years

3. sound quality: always important. This isn’t the most important priority, but I do want to hear what I’m listening to. Stereo preferred over mono. Recordings from late fifties onward. Doesn’t necessarily have to be an analog recording

4. size: somewhere between 50-100 disks.

So far it looks like the DG originals box best fits my criteria. I’m also interested in the Living Stereo 60, although I feel it offers less variety. I’m not opposed to the inclusion of some opera.

I’d love to hear some suggestions from my fellow music lovers! Thanks in advance.

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. Relaxo

Relaxo Well-Known Member

I got the missing disc No. 105 for my Gardiner Box from jpc yesterday.
    [​IMG]

18. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

Nice!

The first CD I ever bought back in 1991 was the Beethoven's Piano Concertos Nos. 1 and 2 from this box. :)

misterjones likes this.
  19. misterjones

I really like Kovacevich's playing. I knew nothing of him when I bought it. I just saw 25 Philips/Decca discs for $25 and free shipping and bought it. I wish there was a box covering the rest of his career . . . EMI, I think.

Cledwyn likes this.
  20. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

how dare you, Youre taking out money out of their space ship funds

21. misterjones

The problem now might be that the most appropriate box(es) are out of print and expensive. Recommended elsewhere by others (I don't have it) is the following, which seems to be precisely what you're looking for . . . if the price was reasonable. Otherwise, you might need more than one box . . . though many of the best ones are out of print as well.

SOONERFAN, croquetlawns and mkortjohn like this.
  22. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Is clamshell considered sub-standard?

23. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

The slip cases in this series seem a lot more sturdy than any of the clam shell boxes I own and make it easier to select the disc you want. Clamshells are ok up to about six discs, then they just seem to big for the product.

cartologist likes this.
  24. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I'm afraid that misterjones is right that the kind of box you are after is often oop, and therefore expensive. One possible box that fulfills a lot of your needs (if not all) is the Leonard Bernstein Remastered 100 CD box. It's Sony and therefore well-done with the best-looking original covers on the market, and it has quite a variety of orchestral music (and some opera) from about Haydn to Copland. The recordings have been remastered by the best in the business, and it comes with a hardbound book. What you don't get is chamber music etc., but it's difficult to get everything in one single box. I should add that if you click on the box title above and then scroll down to John Fowler's review you get a listing of the contents.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  25. misterjones

There's this, which might be a distillation of the 100-CD set. I suspect the problem is that only excepts of compositions are used.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Some reviews here - https://www.amazon.com/History-Clas...qid=1627060320&rnid=2941120011&s=music&sr=1-1 It might be cheaper elsewhere, of course.

ubertrout and Åke Bergvall like this.