Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yup, we have many such reports in this very thread!

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, it's a recurring theme here...

3. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

Thanks S&C.

4. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

I'm sure you will. I've just had particularly bad luck with JPC, which is why I don't plan to order from them again.

harvard75 likes this.
  5. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

I got my copy (of the Klemperer Amsterdam Concertgebouw SACD box) from JPC yesterday. So glad I ordered it before it went out of stock! I'm mystified as to why this very attractive package would be so limited in quantities so that IF anyone bothers to review it, it won't be available. There has been a tremendous amount of work done to find better sources and/or perform very good audio restoration. I could quibble that there is a BIT more audible processing at work than ideal (a little bit of a stereo effect, which might affect headphone listening, and what seems to be a touch of reverb which is certainly unnecessary), but a few comparisons to previous Archiphon issues reveals obvious improvements. The Stravinsky Symphony in Three Movements, for example, was a crumbling mess of distortion previously, and is now tonally pretty clean and marred by just a bit of tape "swish" here and there. Some items are from original radio master tapes (the Beethoven 8th and 9th concert from 1956) and those are fabulous sonically. Everything I've heard so far is more than listenable and there is nothing that is a chore to get through sonically (so far). And the music making is a joy nearly without equal in Klemperer's discography. Being both a Klemperer fan and a Concertgebouw Orkest worshipper, it's nearly nirvana!

6. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

It was only released a few months ago! Has any other set gone out of print as fast?

7. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I think you can still get it at HMV Japan.

croquetlawns likes this.
  8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

And from German Amazon and zweitausendeins.

HistPerf likes this.
  9. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I'd like to post some pictures of boxes I want to sell. (I will post them in the classified section, but I would give those here a heads-up.) What is a good free site where I can upload photos that can be accessed via a link? I don't want to download a program. I think I used to use something called "Tinypic", but they are no more.

EDIT - Actually, Dropbox seems to work without a download. Additional recommendations welcome.

10. Gentian

Gentian Forum Resident

Postimages.org?

croquetlawns, TonyACT and misterjones like this.
  11. misterjones

.org? A charitable document sharing service.

TonyACT likes this.
  12. Crimson King

Crimson King Silly Audiophile

Let's see.

I got an email from Mobile Fidelity about Jeff Beck's truth being available again. Went to the site to order - its out of print. The lag between the 2 events: 10 minutes.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  13. garthhudson

garthhudson Forum Resident

Looks like that Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box will be released that week. $115 on Amazon (not bad for 55 cds...) - are we preordering or waiting to see if price drops a bit after release?

TonyACT likes this.
  14. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I use Postimages.

misterjones likes this.
  15. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I'm curious what system, if any, you use to listen to your mega boxes? I have one as I plan to listen to every CD I own (pending living long enough ;)).

My system depends upon box organisation.

1) For chronological boxes (by career, recording date, historical era) I listen start to finish. This works for boxes such as the Galway complete RCA box and the DG 100 CD History box.

2) For large Composer boxes ordered by genre (like Brilliant Classics boxes) I listen to each genre as if it was a small box, jumping around based on my mood.

3) The rest. Like the Decca analogue box. Based on whim.

I track all of this, along with single CD listening, in a worn school exercise book:

[​IMG]

hvbias, Runicen, Eigenvector and 6 others like this.
  16. misterjones

Disc 1 to the end, unless I think I'd get bored waiting for later CDs. In that case (as with my chronological organ box) it's 1, 11, 21, 31, 41, 2, 12, etc. and the like. On occasion, I've jumped ahead to (say) play a composer group (e.g., Beethoven's sonatas). In that case, I just bend a large Post-It over the discs and return to the numerical order. I'm not interested in keeping track in writing, though I'd have to if things got too complicated (i.e., TonyACT-complicated).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  17. trix

trix Forum Resident

Completely on a whim, depending on my mood, part of the day and even part of the year.

I jump from one box to another in no particular order or system. I do not keep any log or anything like that. The result is that I listened to some cds at least a dozen times whereas many still haven't been listened to at all. But this does not bother me.

Runicen, Four Bs, Eigenvector and 5 others like this.
  18. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

Similarly, for me it's about ready access to choices. If I'm on a certain composer kick, I'll listen to those particular CDs in each box and figure out which recording of a work is my favorite.

trix, Four Bs and TonyACT like this.
  19. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Ready access to choices resonates, I do a lot of random jumping between boxes.

The slightly OCD part of me makes me track the jumps :cool:

PS I'm an ICT program manager - I suspect one reflects the other.

trix and Four Bs like this.
  20. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just ship them all down-under and I'll send some Oz doubloons in payment. I'll give any I already have to the op shop so we both feel good.

:agree:

misterjones likes this.
  21. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I also like to make sure I’ve listened to everything at least once. So I typically move discs to the back of the box once I’ve listened to them, using the booklet as a divider between listened to and not.

After that, I usually move through the discs in order, or pull whatever I want to hear.

If the next “to listen to” disc sits for a while and I’m not as keen on listening to it, I’ll move it to the back of the “to listen to” section to un-block my progress on that box :laugh:

trix, croquetlawns, Gentian and 3 others like this.
  22. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

23. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

The Georges Cziffra - The Complete Studio Recordings 1956-1986 box is coming October 29th.

Gentian and TonyACT like this.
  24. nigels

nigels Forum Resident

A pianists' pianist who's been criminally underrated for decades. It's no wonder Argerich studied with him.

hvbias and TonyACT like this.
  25. misterjones

I wish I could ship overseas.

TonyACT likes this.