Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

Anyone know if EMI has ever put out an Otto Klemperer mega box set, or is his output all broken down into the small boxes by composer? I've never come across one and I would think he would have had that treatment by now.

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

You know I call myself a guitar fan (I do have the Bream and Williams big boxes as well as a bunch by Parkening and of course Segovia) and I have been ignorant of this artist my entire life. I picked this up on your recommendation and couldn't be happier. Wonderful music. Thank you for posting this!

Otis P, TonyACT, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

EMI never released a mega Klemperer box, just the smaller ones dedicated to composers and style (Romantic Symphonies and Overtures, for instance). What EMI's current owners, Warner Music, will do is another matter.

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

You are welcome!
    Alexandre Lagoya and his wife Ida Presti deserve to be more well known. I was listening to one of their LPs the other day and they sounded magical.

Otis P and pscreed like this.
  5. RaceBannon

Thanks, that's what I suspected, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something long oop.

6. WWC

WWC Forum Resident

Does anyone know how to contact Amazon Italy customer service via email or phone? I live in the US and I ordered a megabox from them. When I received it today, it appears that the item is clearly used (no plastic wrap, scratches on the CDs). I can't seem to find a way to contact them. Thanks so much for your advice!

7. layman

layman Forum Resident

I would love a (Warner commissioned) Klemperer Big Box remastered by Art et Son. I have a feeling it would be a bestseller.

8. RaceBannon

So would I, even though I have a lot of his EMI individual CDs. Got into him via my love of Bruckner, I love his solid granitic flow and power in Bruckner. He's one of those old school conductors I referred to in an earlier post which links the late 19th century to the dawn of stereo hi fi recording. Also like the use of divided violins, like Walter and Kubelik.

layman likes this.
  9. Jaylat

Jaylat Forum Resident

Also ordered the Harnoncourt, Orpheus and Entremont boxes from JPC plus some extra CPO titles and was shocked to have a huge 2 x 2 x 1.5 foot package arrive from Germany.

On inspection, they had packed an extra Entremont box by mistake, lost among all the peanuts.

Runicen, TonyACT, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  10. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

Just getting into the Warner box today. The first few cds consisting of Polydor 78 material is really superbly done, the best I've heard the vast majority of it. Copies are VERY good (no masters exist for those and many copies that turn up are often very blasty and worn) and EQ is nicely full and open sounding, and processing is not overdone, but they've nicely removed sonic debris. If the set continues like this, it's a winner.

11. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

Amazon Accedi

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. trix

trix Forum Resident

The best way to contact Amazon customer service is through Amazon chat. They respond immediately. Not all of them, however, know English very well.

TonyACT, cartologist and croquetlawns like this.
  13. WWC

WWC Forum Resident

14. WWC

WWC Forum Resident

Thanks so much!

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

David Hurwitz on the Eloquence Igor Markevitch Philips box:

cartologist, trix, jɑmbo and 2 others like this.
  16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

In the early days of CD, Philips released a 75 minute budget label disc of them playing Baroque music. It was among my first classical guitar CDs, and still gets a lot of play.

pscreed and 5-String like this.
  17. RaceBannon

It would be nice if this thing was available. It seemed to be out of stock a week after release.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

...and so is Markevitch's DG box on Eloquence. I hope the prices of his Philips and DG Eloquence sets will come down a bit once they are in stock.

croquetlawns and RaceBannon like this.
  19. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

It seems these Eloquence sets all go through a "growing pains" period as far as distribution. I'm sure it will settle down in a month or so. I took a chance on ordering them from importcd.com, which has them for under $100, but they are pretty flaky about when (or if) they manage to get them. I did get the Kubelik sets with no issues. I don't think anyone should worry that they will be sold out and unavailable....you have to go back pretty far to find any Eloquence "limited" releases which are OOP.

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. trix

trix Forum Resident

I think the same. The boxes are manufactured in Australia (right?) and probably there are problems with worldwide distribution due to covid and general lack of truck drivers (cf. the petrol situation in UK)

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

Both have some validity.
    Bottom line is providing a release date well in advance to meet the consumer and retailer expectation to know what's coming down the pike has become a nightmare due to the unreliability of the supply chain. So add the manufacturing disruption on top of the distribution unpredictability and you have a compound nightmare.

Additionally, large broad spectrum suppliers like ImportCds do not appear to have a process set up efficiently ($ wise) update listings when the dates change causes a lot of confusion.

22. E()

E() Cat Herder

Same here. This is an excellent set that I have been enjoying. Recommended on this thread a few months ago.

pscreed, 5-String and Åke Bergvall like this.
  23. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I believe I made this point last Saturday?

24. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

My main issue with Importcd & deepdiscount is that you really need to preorder these Eloquence sets, otherwise they often simply disappear from their listings by the "release date". One other strategy that has worked is to fill out the deepdiscount "notify me when available" thing. There's usually a small window once you are notified. Keep in mind, the release dates we see are usually an international date, which has little to do when the (poorly run) US distributer gets copies. Frankly, I think it's a miracle anything works as far as supply chain these days.

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Albums of both of the Markevitch Eloquence sets are available for streaming on Spotify. The albums are included on the Markevitch discograpy page on Spotify, some are listed on the original release date and some on 2021. You can identify the albums by the Universal Australia copyright if your scroll down on the specific album info page.