Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Nitram

Nitram Forum Resident

Sorry for the confusion.
    Checked again with times.
    The BluRay in the new box has clearly all BPO recordings. They fixed 40 and 41.

Blu Ray Complete: 12:31:23
    Blu BpoCD WpoCD
    8:27 8:26 8:53
    8:05 8:05 8:03
    4:46 4:46 5:08
    5:03 5:03 4:58
    7:39 7:38 8:03
    7:39 7:40 7:42
    5:29 5:25 5:42
    6:34 6:25 6:46

For the tape hiss. Played now both on the same player
    The Blu ray sounds fine.
    Cd is clearly louder, the blu ray sounds quieter but warmer and after first impression better than the CD.

tatifan likes this.
  2. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

Ok, thanks. Re the volume on the Blu ray audio, I noticed that on my Karajan Bruckner set. The blu ray is not as loud and needs more volume, but that is a good thing, because the BR audio should have more dynamic range than regular CDs, and less compression. So you can "crank the volume" if you want and experience less ear fatigue than a,more compressed cd mastering. So one more clarification, the Bohm Orchestral set contains all the Mozart symphony cds PLUS all the symphonies also on blu ray audio (one disc?)?

3. Nitram

Nitram Forum Resident

Blu Ray (1 Disc 12,5 hours) is identical with CD 22-31. Complete cycle with BPO
    Symphonies 1-41 plus K 75,76,81,95,96,97, Alte Lambach Anh 221 and Leopolds Neue Lambach.

The WPO No. 29, 35, 38-41 CD Only

RaceBannon likes this.
  4. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

That's great news, since I going to be getting this set. I guess I have the rare and highly collectable Hi-rez VPO Mozart 40-41....maybe I can sell it for $400 and buy the 2 DG boxes, the Decca/Philips and the OOP Warner "The Early Years" with my proceeds, haha!

TonyACT likes this.
  5. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

I thought I would pull out "The Menuhin Century" this afternoon for some fine violin music. I hadn't opened the big box for quite a while--so imagine my distress when I pulled off the lid to remember what I had forgotten.....FOAM! The nice individual boxes of CDs collected in the large box are surrounded and contained by that dreaded deteriorating nasty junk. Right now, it seems to be in good shape in my copy, but if past experience is any guide (and with the foam it surely is), it's only a matter of time before it disintegrates into a sandy, gooey nasty mess that even those nice smaller boxes probably won't completely protect you from. So a word to the wise: as you admire this lovely box set on the shelves, don't forget the time bomb ticking away within! Cheers

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  6. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Cheers. First thing I did when it arrived last year was place the individual boxes on a CD shelf and put the book on the classical music section of my bookshelf :agree:

Though I'm not sure if the foam or I will deteriorate first ;)

trix, harvard75 and misterjones like this.
  7. RaceBannon

I assume WPO = Vienna Philharmonic?
    Are those the only Mozart symphonies Bohm recorded with the VPO (for DG)?

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

WPO = Wiener Philharmonisches Orchester, more common Wiener Philharmoniker, or indeed the VPO.

Norco74, croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  9. RaceBannon

Oh I know I americanized it, just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

10. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Received mine today and yes CD 15 track 8 jas a nasty skip in it.

Anyone can provide information on how to report the defect to Warner Classics other than via their general helpdesk support email address?

Torran likes this.
  11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Bummer! I was looking forward to the Saint Saens box set! It is scheduled to arrive next week.

It seems that this is a digital glitch that affects all copies. Has anyone tried to rip the disc to file?

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. Norco74

I can try with EAC but I don’t expect much.

5-String likes this.
  13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It would be interesting to see if the problem is the cd (which does not seem possible) or the file itself. Let us know if you try.

croquetlawns likes this.
  14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That's annoying news - I was planning on getting this set!

15. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

16. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I think Oscar Wilde said that.

17. Norco74

Here you go!

I was able to rip the track w/o issue. I will let more competent individuals comment on the possible causes. From the master to the matrix, a lot can happen.

As I was already there, I spent 15 minutes on Cool Edit 2000 (yes still working after 21 years) and fixed the bugger but I would still like a replacement disc or a file download from Warner. :uhhuh:

There’s a burst on R channel prior to the skip. The skip has a different start time on the L and R channels. This whole drama last about 0.144 seconds.

Original track full lenght
    [​IMG]

Original track burst and skip section
    [​IMG]

Fixed track burst and skip section
    [​IMG]

Fixed track full lenght
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    5-String, Torran, jɑmbo and 4 others like this.
  18. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

My first ever shipment from JPC arrived after a six-week voyage; the post-person worked out the delivery address oddity we discussed some weeks ago :agree:.

The MLP 3 box from Amazon had arrived moments earlier:

[​IMG]

The six missing boxes from Amazon are a lost cause. Amazon had bundled them and claim the courier picked them up, the couriers claim they never received them. I have a refund but would rather have the CDs which are now unavailable at the price I paid:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  19. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Very good job, I'm amazed. The real problem is a so big defacement in such a beautiful quintet!

Norco74 likes this.
  20. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

They seem all in good conditions, expecially the two sisters....:D:D:D

RaceBannon and TonyACT like this.
  21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Now that I know packages from JPC will likely arrive here eventually:

[​IMG]

:D

22. RaceBannon

Now you didn't let those pics of attractive sisters sway you on that big box did you? ;) Are they the new Labeque sisters? Classical labels know how to market just like those nasty rock labels!

TonyACT likes this.
  23. trix

trix Forum Resident

Re Karl Bohm box
    Can you make some photos of those multijackets (e.g. for Mozart symphonies)? I'm curious how it looks like.

TonyACT likes this.
  24. Nitram

Nitram Forum Resident

I don't know how to post own pictures.
    Like other DGG/DECCA Boxes they are always the same. 2,3,4 fold cardboard. (No text on the white spine). You have to be careful to get out the middle discs. The jackets are not open the top like Sony since few years ago

This is from the Karajan Opera Box. You might get an idea. (Difference: The paper quality of the Karajan jackets was clearly better and thicker than in most or even all other DGG boxes, Printing quality ist also worse since then)
    Böhms first Beethoven Eroica cover looked always awful but now looks even more washed out than on other releases. All other covers are ok

Like usual there are few over 80 (one over 86 "I think") minutes discs. Old CD Players might have problems with them. Mozart 225 and Bach 333 far over 80 minutes was standard. Never had a listening/Playing problem to the end of the disc but I cannot skip or do fast forward after 80 minutes with my player.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    5-String and croquetlawns like this.
  25. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Not new, they are virtually the same age as the Labeque sisters. Though I hadn't heard of them previously, they have a long recording history across labels including DG and Warner. The concert videos in the box include numerous well-known collaborators.

RaceBannon likes this.