Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. bdjr

bdjr Forum Resident

I have ordered a couple of times from Momox no problems so for. I have never ordered a big box from them. Another good seller on Amazon US is
    OxfordshireEngland.

2. dafnis

dafnis Forum Resident

Many thanks all, glad you like it!

It’s actually pretty good, the room is rectangular, you can make a sense of it as you see in the top picture two of its sides. Along with being an apartment in an old “palazzo” in central Bologna hence high ceilings and quite thick walls.

croquetlawns, cws and layman like this.
  3. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Everything I've ordered from Momox has eventually shown up, sometimes with minor zings but no catastrophic damage. But be prepared to wait a couple of months at best.

cartologist likes this.
  4. Taplow

Taplow Vezzi, lusinghe e brio

I have the advantage of ordering from Momox/Medimops from within Germany, so shipping is usually quick. Ordinarily their packaging is not great – a well-worn, somewhat padded bag at best. Fine for single CDs, not so great if you're ordering a lot at one time. But for the most part I've had a better experience with ordering larger box sets from them. Slightly better packed in cardboard boxes with some sort of internal filling, even if it's some additional scrunched-up paper to fill the space. And delivered by DHL who, even though they did manage to squash my box of coffee beans today, generally do a good job of handling your precious cargo and delivering intact.

I'd imagine that the contents of these boxes shift around a lot more during international transit.

Quality of the product from Momox/Medimops can also be variable. But here, too, I've generally had a better experience with larger boxes than with smaller sets and singles. The last order from them I recall was the DHM 50th anniversary and Decca Sound red/blue box. Both were in near mint condition. Worst I've seen of their larger boxes were some slightly grubby examples, but nothing a bit of spit and polish won't clean up.

croquetlawns and misterjones like this.
  5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Spit is good for cleaning off all types of mucus. You should see some of the stuff I get from the NY Public Library. The previous owners apparently have managed to pass the items through their noses and **** them out their asses.

sherrill50 and bdjr like this.
  6. misterjones

What the hell happened to Center Stage Classical? They went from having some good discounts to sucking big time almost overnight.

As you can see, I’m in a mood only a chosen few here could appreciate.

cws, Four Bs, cartologist and 2 others like this.
  7. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I see this all the time with library materials. It never fails to amaze and appall me, the willingness, nay eagerness, of the general public to try to destroy anything that they don't own personally. Reminds me of the long-ago television commercials for American Tourister luggage, with the gorilla trying to destroy the suitcase... If only compact discs were as durable as that luggage was supposed to be.

cws, Runicen and misterjones like this.
  8. misterjones

I might think that as well, if I could get the USPS out of my mind.

sherrill50 likes this.
  9. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

:laughup:

Samsonite had the same advertizing concept in Asia but using chimpanzee instead of gorilla to destroy their oyster shell type suitcases.

As a general note, a lot of folks are not even taking care of their own stuff so you cannot ask them to care about others property. How many time you have ditched a possible acquisition in a used CD/Vinyl shop due its repulsive conditon?

fogalu and Runicen like this.
  10. bdjr

bdjr Forum Resident

I can appreciate it. Classical Center Stage is definitely now at the bottom of my list of retailers. I have bought several big boxes from them successfully in the past, but working with their customer service, now drops them to the bottom of my list and they would be the last place I would search for a classical big box. The box would have to be discounted almost to free before I would buy from them again. Still though...waiting to see how my current interaction turns out - they may move up a place.

layman and misterjones like this.
  11. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Generally speaking, I don't believe this is the case, especially with classical stuff (Pop is a different matter). I admit I'm OCD, but almost all of my CD's look brand new (in some cases, even after nearly 40 years). But in the rare case that one gets damaged to the degree you mention ('repulsive'), I just throw it away.

fogalu and Martin H like this.
  12. bdjr

bdjr Forum Resident

That used to be the case for me as well. My old collection was spotless. Now only the new discs themselves are in mint condition. The days when you could go to a shop (in my part of the world) and buy a new classical CD in clean neat company shrink wrap with a minty fresh jewel case without cracks or the teeth in the center broken off are long over. Even the single cardboard eco-friendly cases are frequently gouged and poked. Thanks to the 'supply chain' if I had to guess I would say 20% + of the single CDs I order have cracked jewel cases, broken hinges, teeth that are broken and do not hold the CDs so that little pieces of plastic (sometimes sharp) fall all over the floor or table when you open the disc. I have long since stopped opening new CDs around food or drinks. At least with box sets (although dinged) the paper/cardboard slip cases can still be relied on to contain the discs.

cws, trix, layman and 3 others like this.
  13. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

After multiple emails with them (they thought I received the wrong product instead of the right product missing the books and stuff for the DG 120 box), they've offered me a refund or a replacement. I'm not sure if I'll have to ship the defective product back.

layman and misterjones like this.
  14. bdjr

bdjr Forum Resident

I was offered the same options - refund or replacement. I chose refund to put an end to it. I wish us both luck and success, but after 18 days now and counting of back and forth in their ticketing system with 4 different reps anything could happen.

layman and Al Gator like this.
  15. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

croquetlawns and bdjr like this.
  16. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

What about Scribendum? The website is no more working, included the Shop....
    I still want to buy some titles.... The art of Krips, mazerdorfen Haydn complete symphonies, maybe something about Knappertsbusch....

layman likes this.
  17. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

Yes, I noticed a few days ago that their website was down. I hope they are not having problems.

croquetlawns likes this.
  18. layman

layman Forum Resident

I used to worry about the condition of the jewel cases but now as long as the disc itself is pristine, I just replace broken or damaged jewel cases as needed (I can buy 30 packs of these fairly cheaply from Staples).

bdjr and croquetlawns like this.
  19. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Totally agree - digipaks are much more of a problem as it's often difficult to keep them scuff free, or the teeth that hold the disc in place snap off, and then you can't replace the digipak.

Norco74 likes this.
  20. Norco74

Right, one must get a reasonnable supply of media packaging ‘spare parts’. I usually protect the cardboard type CD that are not part of a boxset with a protective sleeve. Any CD coming in a tight cardboard get a complimentary CD inner sleeve (half moon shape Japanese type).

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. kolberg

kolberg Active Member

friends, the saint saens warner box arrived yesterday, I checked cd 15, track 8, but it seems that the audio is perfectly usable ... at what minute exactly was the defect?

cartologist and croquetlawns like this.
  22. Cool! Lots of things in there I didn't buy simply becasuse I don't have the space to store it all.

23. Norco74

CD #15, track 08 around the 1:57 mark

Perhaps Warner already corrected the sets that are shipping lately.

cartologist and croquetlawns like this.
  24. Sigma

Sigma Forum Resident

This should be a great set but are they mostly in Stereo or Mono?

25. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Mostly Mono. Sony Japan recently released the Stereo recordings on their own on three CDs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    croquetlawns likes this.