Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

These are SACDs. I purchased them recently and have played them non-stop since I got them from CD japan. I have also compared them to my Columbia LPs.
    The mastering is fantastic and the SACDs sound much better than my LPs.
    I am really looking forward to this box set, judging by the stereo recordings, it looks like it is going to be a great release.

2. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

And it is the same mastering as in the upcoming big box (done by Andreas K. Meyer et al.), but, as you corrected me, on SACD rather than CD so with a higher bitrate.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    croquetlawns and 5-String like this.
  3. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Would the Dimitri Mitropoulos recordings in the New York Phil 175th anniversary box be the same remaster?

There are 7 discs worth and the last few are stereo. Great performances too, I love the Romeo & Juliet.

4. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

I received Markovina’s new 12 CD box of Complete Mendelssohn solo piano music today. Bad surprise: the discs are in envelopes sealed with sticky glue! I got them out safely and into new sleeves. Nice surprise: for some reason my box contained two copies of disc 1.

But what matters is the music, performed with skill and artistry. Also a most unusually extensive and informative booklet.

If you’re at all interested in the music I think you won’t be sorry if you invest.

croquetlawns and Norco74 like this.
  5. Åke Bergvall

I would think so. Of the seven Mitropoulos discs in the NY Phil box, Meyer did three and b-sharp music four, and I doubt they would redo it this soon after.

jɑmbo and croquetlawns like this.
  6. Sigma

Sigma Forum Resident

Has anyone ordered from Deep Discount ? Which shipping company do they use to send overseas orders ?
    Having problems with them ...

7. dafnis

dafnis Forum Resident

Two new acquisitions I should have by Friday through Amazon IT.

Sokolov aside, Zimerman is probably my favourite (alive) pianist, and probably also top-5 all-timer. Did not know this deluxe edition existed until very recently, so on top of the 3 CDs you get 2 BRs.

[​IMG]
    Knowing this pianist I owe to my first piano teacher in Spain, who was Belgian. For a long while this box, in its "original" Warner, was OOP and cost prohibitive. Then through Erato they did a great thing and it became available again! His Debussy is magical, his Chopin spectacular!
    [​IMG]

My top-5 alive? OK, I'll tell you... in no particular order: Sokolov, Zimerman, Argerich, Pires, Brendel. (Sorry Mitsuko, Evgeny, Hélène, Ivo, Murray - a worthy bench!)
    There's a couple of great under-35 (Yuja, Daniil) but not counting youngsters.

hvbias, jɑmbo, croquetlawns and 5 others like this.
  8. wallaceandrosie

wallaceandrosie Active Member

Hello there... Has anyone out there had a problem with a faulty first disc of the Eloquence Classics Ruggiero Ricci: Complete American Decca Recordings set. I'm based in the UK and bought the set on Amazon a few days ago. The first disc refused to play and just clunked around in my relatively expensive (and virtually brand-new!) CD player. The other discs in the set are fine. I contacted Eloquence, who responded impressively quickly to say that they weren't aware of any production problems and I should just order a replacement set from Amazon. The replacement set arrived today and - same problem..! Is it just me so far..?

9. Åke Bergvall

I've had that "original" François box for quite a while, and should give it a listen again (but it was EMI not Warner, while the new one should have been Warner rather than Erato; Warner's branding has become really confusing lately). One EMI box I do wish Warner would reissue is Alfred Cortot: Anniversary Edition. I do have it, but it was available for a short time only, and I suspect few had time to lay hands on it (the scalpers are currently asking £230 in the UK/€311 in Germany for it in the version pictured below left. Marked EMI, I paid €53 for it back in 2012).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    dafnis, Runicen and layman like this.
  10. Martinu

Martinu Forum Resident

I have the same issue! (My player tells me that the disc is "Unsupported.")
    For the time being, I've been able to get it to mount on my computer. I've copied the tracks and listen that way.

11. bdjr

bdjr Forum Resident

I have had many successful orders with them (mega-boxes, singles and videos), and mostly good to excellent interaction with their customer service. They have a telephone number for their customer service and they do answer the phone. I am in the US so do not have overseas experience with them. Currently Amazon and Deep Discount are my top stores I shop with.

12. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I’m getting a 3-CD Samson Francois set from the library, which includes Ravel, Debussy and Chopin. That should be a good start.

cws, layman, jɑmbo and 2 others like this.
  13. dafnis

dafnis Forum Resident

Of course, EMI! My memory played a trick on me… funny how the 36-Cd integral became 54 on Erato :eek:
    Cortot, I’d take that one in a jiffy! Never heard someone playing so beautifully making so many mistakes! :tiphat:

Runicen, Åke Bergvall and bdjr like this.
  14. wallaceandrosie

wallaceandrosie Active Member

Hello
    Thanks for that - at least I'm not the only one! I haven't heard back from Eloquence yet but will post again when I do...

Martinu likes this.
  15. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

The 54 is what you get from switching to original jackets.
    Personally I would rather have the newer Original Jacket boxes of both François and Cziffra rather that the paper sleeve but fewer discs versions. But I don't want them enough given the net cost after selling the black box.

16. Randy Lane

Randy Lane Forum Resident

cws, 5against4, zarzuela and 7 others like this.
  17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

18. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

Johanna Martzy - Her Columbia Graphophone Recordings (The Complete Warner Classics Edition)
    up for pre-order at jpc.de now.
    https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/her-columbia-graphophone-recordings/hnum/10779548
    and Amazon.fr (and Amazon.de)
    https://www.amazon.fr/Complete-Warner-Classics-Édition-Remastered/dp/B09L58DT2S/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1K84E3H0TL4PQ&keywords=johanna+martzy&qid=1642600628&sprefix=johanna+martzy,aps,134&sr=8-1

[​IMG]

Mastered by Art & Son Studio, good news.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  19. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Preordered on Amazon.fr one month ago!

20. layman

layman Forum Resident

December was a busy month for me (mega-box wise), as I added these (to my collection):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Runicen, DEVA, guerilla1977 and 9 others like this.
  21. dafnis

dafnis Forum Resident

22. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

Just a heads up, not specifically related to box sets (yet), about the increased selling of CD-Rs as if they were pressed CDs. I've encountered this three times in the last few weeks, most recently with a Capriccio 2-CD set that I ordered from Amazon itself first and then from a vendor that assured me the CDs were pressed. The Amazon page gave no indication that it was CD-R, and the set arrived wrapped in plastic (of the softer kind) and in a printed cardboard sleeve (with "2-CD set" printed on it several times). So apparently the CD-Rs are coming directly from Capriccio. The only printed indication that they were CD-Rs was miniscule transparent type near the center of the discs.

I don't want to reignite the debate on whether CD-Rs are as good as pressed CDs, but if labels are going to start doing this they need to be upfront about it.

Runicen, DEVA, LaBowe and 6 others like this.
  23. bruckner13

bruckner13 Forum Resident

Could you say what albums are?

24. AJCinBrooklyn

AJCinBrooklyn Well-Known Member

A-zon.com has the Solti in London set for $107.20. Cheapest I've seen. Still chafing from not having snatched the Chicago box.

jɑmbo, croquetlawns and layman like this.
  25. zarzuela

zarzuela Forum Resident

The Capriccio set of Strauss film music for Der Rosenkavalier (conducted by Janowski).

bruckner13 likes this.