Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #1)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The reason was simple. I wanted to eventually experience the surround sound, as many of the SACD's in my collection provide. Unfortunately, I have 2-channel gears up to my eyeballs - quite a few surplus 2-channel amps. In fact, I can cobble together my 2-channel amps (some can be bridged) without having to go out and buy a multi-channel amp. Shall I say I am still in a state of indecision.

2. coopmv

Actually, with prices for 24/192 oversampling outboard DAC's coming down to the $400range, adding one of these to your system may "significantly" boost the sound quality of your redbook CD's.

3. coopmv

Attached Files:

4. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Composer Mozart
    Work Horn Concertos
    Performer(s) Hermann Baumann/Concentus Musicus Wien/Nikolaus Harnoncourt
    Medium and Label CD/Teldec 0630-17429-2
    Date of performance 1974

5. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

i am not sure that a oversampling DAC will significantly boost the quality of a signal that is 16/44.
    and you don't need multi-channel to profit from SACDs.

6. coopmv

I thought I read a number of reviews that concluded some CDP's with built-in oversampling DAC's did enhance the playback sound quality of redbook CD's.

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Don't all SACD players play stereo?

8. coopmv

Yes, they do. But the multi-channel SACD players also have jacks for more than 2 channels. What should I do with the jacks for the remaining 3 channels, asssuming the player is 5.1? I was told by 2 different audio sale reps to hold off on my SACD player until I have an HT processor in place.

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Uh, nothing? I'm not sure I understand the problem.

10. coopmv

I guess this situation is similar to connecting only one channel of your stereo CDP to your stereo preamp.

11. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

don't worry about the 3 remaining jacks. youdon't need to plug them.
    the salesmen, well, are salesmen.

12. coopmv

Actually, they should have pushed to make the sale, but they did not. At any rate, I really do not know if it is as simple as just leaving the 3 remaining jacks out. BTW, I think a digital connection should require only one cable for all channels.

13. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Composer Beethoven
    Work Violin Concerto
    Performer(s) Christian Ferras/BPO/HvK
    Medium and Label LP/DG 139021
    Date of performance ?

[​IMG]

Just unwrapped the cellophane from this one. Very nice. Not sure of the performance date on this LP. Anyone give me a hand with this?

14. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Just noted something about the photo of the above album. HvK has a baton in his hand. I thought he usually did not use one. Is this just for show for the cover?

15. coopmv

This was probably recorded in the early 60's, as HvK looked a bit different in the 70's.

16. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

17. coopmv

This was probably recorded in the early 60's, as HvK looked a bit different in the 70's. Also the catalog number 139021 represents an LP recording of the 60's or earlier for DG.

18. coopmv

Bill, Thanks for the link. It was a great article. Brahms German Requiem and Beethoven 9th, my two favorite works of the classical period. When HvK had those 2 concerts in NY, I was still an undergrad in college and had not yet discovered classical music. Those who attended the concerts had attended the concerts for a lifetime.

19. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Thanks!

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Oistrakh box

Teldec has been a part of Warner Music Group since at least the mid-1990's. Teldec folded into 'Warner Classics' several years ago. Nonesuch is an independent label not affiliated with Warner Classics but it is part of WMG. WMG exited the classical business (Nonesuch notwithstanding) in No. America in 2006 and has thereafter been focused on repackages. The reason there are still old Teldec issues available at the same time as 'new' Warner Classics repackages is because they haven't sold through. The old Teldec issues are long out-of-print, though, even if Amazon still has 'new' stock. Warner Classics is still around in the EU. I just saw a Warner Classics copy of Jose Sebrerier's new 2008 recording of Glazunov's Sixth Symphony at Borders today. Hope that clears things up.

Speaking of Borders--40% off all CDs including boxed and multi-disc sets today and tomorrow only, limit three.

Here's what I got:
    • Hommage a Messiaen - Pierre-Laurent Aimard
      DG 2008, new recording released a couple weeks ago, one of my favorite pianists.
    • Mozart: The Piano Sonatas - Maria Joao Pires
      DG 2006 six-disc 'Collectors Edition', recorded 1989, 1990, 1991. One hell of an account of these deceptively simple, magical compositions.
    • David Oistrakh - The Complete EMI Recordings
      EMI 2008 17-disc box. I will spare the details of the box contents--one Amazon reviewer has already gone to the trouble--however, I will list the 2008 remasterings in the box.
      -Beethoven and Sibelius violin concertos with Sixten Ehrling/Stockholm Festival Orch. 1954 (the more familiar and legendary Cluytens Beethoven concerto is included, too)
      -Beethoven 'Kreutzer' violin sonata w/ Lev Oborin 1953
      -Mozart violin sonata No. 32 w/ Vladimir Yampolsky 1956
      -Lalo Symphonie Espagnole w/ Jean Martinon conducting a French radio orchestra 1954
      -Cesar Franck Violin Sonata in A w/ Vladimir Yampolsky 1954
      -Szymanowski Violin Sonata in D Minor w/ Vladimir Yampolsky 1954
      -Khachaturian Violin Sonata w/ Vladimir Yampolsky 1955
      -Schubert Octet in F 1955

Very happy with all of these purchases. The Oistrakh box in particular--the Sixten Ehrling-led concertos are worth the box alone. Think about it: 24 CDs for $80! Whenever I read the griping, moaning and groaning from our pop/rock-centric brethren on the Music forum regarding the 'end of days' of physical music collecting, I think of days like today, when a new world of music goes home with me for very, very little money, indeed.

21. coopmv

Eddie, Thanks for that detailed explanation. I am far more familiar with the old Polygram and how DG, Philips, London/Decca/L'Oiseau/Argo were sister divisions. These days, we see all kinds of repackaging of old recordings that it is not always easy to tell which label the recording was originally made for. Wasn't TELDEC formed out of some divisions of Telefunken and Decca?

22. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

My most recent purchase is an EMI 2CD set of Carl Schuricht & the Vienna Philharmonic performing Bruckner: Symphonies 8 & 9. Schuricht is one of my favorite conductors.

I've also been picking up a ton of Tallis Scholars recordings. Their Palestrina recordings hooked me, they're pretty incredible. So far I've got:

Josquin Des Pres: L'homme arme masses
    Lassus: Missa osculetur me
    Palestrina: Missa Benedicta es
    Palestrina: Missa Nigra sum
    Palestrina: Missa Brevis, Missa Nasce la gioja mia
    Tallis: The Complete English Anthems
    Thomas Tomkins: The Great Service
    Robert White: Tudor Church Music

23. coopmv

Attached Files:

24. coopmv

Aren't most if not all these recordings issued under the GIMELL label? I have a few of these CD's.

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

That was the record that potential International Preview Society members got to keep even if they decided not to join and returned the Bohm Beethoven cycle. This was in the very late '70s, so the recording would not have been new then.

As to where to find a notation, as I recall it would be somewhere on one edge of the box for a box set. Not so sure about the placement for a single.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.