Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #11)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Only when the SACD was modified during or after the 24/192 upsampling process - a higher bitrate alone without actually using the additional headroom to get rid of jitter etc. won't make a difference and if you got an excellent redbook player it may beat an average SACD player anyway. Bit those LINN Studio Masters are recorded in 24 BIt and that is why they always sound so much better on SACD or(and esp. as Hi Res Files. Flogging a dead horse in SACD is not exactly an audiophile feast.

There are a lot of old recordings that sound really good. This 1953 Vanguard is such a recording. Lovely music and great sound quality - redbook CD. Must be the acoustics of the Brahms Saal at the Musikverein Wien, where this spiritual oratorium was recorded, that gives these Cantatas that deep and silky dark shimmer. Splendid. Extremely glad I picked it up.:love:

Attached Files:

• J.S.jpg
      J.S.jpg
      File size:
      74.8 KB
      Views:
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Interesting. So one would need a third speaker to hear that third channel?

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Brilliant Classics

George, I have Sofronitzky's Russian Archives box and it has the awful, dreaded fake reverb on a lot (all?) of it. I don't know how much I will be listening to this in the future, it's that disracting/annoying. Have you encountered any of this in your listening of Russian Archives material released by Brilliant?

4. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Yes - center channel. But most of these discs also have a 2 channel SACD mix, IIRC.

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

It can be scored under $20 (I got mine at mdt.co.uk during their Linn offer sale), which isn't that bad considering the high end status of the label. But remember - this recording, although very good and recommendable, contains relatively recent Levin's revisionist edition, so it's a cool but "alternative" Requiem. :wave:

6. George P

George P Notable Member

I have that set too and I agree the sound is bad. I know that Sofronitsky's performances have been very poorly recorded and I wasn't sure how much of the sound issues were with the source. However, my understanding is that much of those performances aren't available elsewhere, so I have tried to put up with the sound issues. I have felt similarly about a lot of their Historical Russian Archives releases. They tend to have poor sound and I don't know how one could determine who was to blame for the poor sound.

The Janis set, like many other Brilliant Classics releases, is a reissue of previous releases from other labels. In cases such as this, I haven't heard any reports of cases where the sound was poorer than the original. Myself, I don't own very many of these types of releases, but the few I do own (Faure Piano Works, Collard; Debussy Orchestral Works, Martinon and Beethoven Violin sonatas, Haskil/Grumiaux) have never struck be as having poor sound.

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Good day to all!

Now listening through my reference cans to this lovely SACD, which arrived today. :righton:

Attached Files:

8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Ahhhhh been listening to that Classic Heavy Metal Music again eh? :biglaugh:

9. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

How are those Naxos Historical Cd's Coop?
    They remaster em off good original masters?

10. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

Some of the reviews I read also pointed out that this was an "alternative" Requiem. I'm definitely interested in hearing it. If I'm feeling rich I may drop the 20 or so. I'll probably check out the Hogwood first.

Man, she's another looker. Meow.

11. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yes but the real improvement is what it does to the L/R channels: By removing the phantom center signals from the L/R channels, the entire soundstage widens and deepens.

12. Damian72

Starting the day off with a my first Masterworks Heritage purchase (many moons ago)...

Attached Files:

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

OOOOOOOOOOH!!!!! :righton:

dan c

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Yeah - with Anna I always go for the DVD. (Saw her live at the Met earlier this year.)

15. Damian72

Lucky you. I just watched some videos. Gorgeous all around. Some good clips on her website.

16. Damian72

It's a favorite. :)

17. Damian72

NP: Disc 1 (5-Disc Set) of this recent purchase...

Attached Files:

18. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

*jealously* Bow-wow! :laugh: :cheers:

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Re Mitropoulos/Minnesota Orch Mahler 1

One of my favorite performances of one of my favorite works. A groundbreaking performance!!

20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning the best Prokofiev #2 in existence.

Prok.jpg

21. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

That Anna CD is wonderful played some oft those aries yesterday to compare it with another version from an opera - Idomena (Mozat / Mackerras SCO Edinburgh Festival Chorus) - her three snippet/arias from that Idomena sound great.

When were those pieces recorded by Mitropoulis.?Will check them if they are on that 10 Cd box I got from a greece newspaper (incl 3 CD's with Don Giovanni and many other fine recordings). I am sure Mahler and Rachmaninov are among the recordings as well.
    Mahler Symphonie 1 with the Minneapolis SO - CD 1 opening sequenc
    Greek Dances - The Isle Of The Dead Rachmaninov composed by Skalkotas -
    that is all Rachmaninov I see on that 10 CD set.

22. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

My go to version is Herreweghe with Champs Elysees Orchestra.

And when I feel a little wacky (different but powerful), I'd put on William Christie and Les Arts Florissants

I just received the Bruno Weil and Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra, only listened to this a couple times, great singing, and I think the boys choir is a good choice.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

I will do the same. I got my copy recently and I haven't had a chance to check out yet. :wave:

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A perfect, desert island disc IMHO. :cheers:

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I got this Lp a couple of days ago in some record store in California. I just came back today, cleaned it and just finished playing it.

Rachmaninov Symphony No 2 Andre Previn LSO
    (sorry cannot find a picture)

Magnificent performance, excellent sound! The orchestra sounded huge, powerful and very dynamic. Some time ago, I had listened to the cd from the "EMI Great Recordings of the Century" series but I don't remember it sounding that good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.