Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Neat stuff! :righton:
    WAY outta my financial league but interesting stuff.
    I collect other things of Antique origin.

I have a coupla clocks that go back to Classical times.
    How about a 1842-45 Terry & Andrews 30hr Clock.
    Oldest mechanical thing I have ever owned and it works 100%!

[​IMG]

Then a Seth Thomas College Series "Cornell" (1909) totally restored.

[​IMG]

Just a coupla examples of old things I like. :righton:

2. Happy 4th of July to all the American members here at sh.tv from one the lone Canadian contingent in the Classical Music thread. :wave:

3. Easing into a gorgeous warm, sunny Sunday with some classics.

Herbert von Karajan - Berlin Philharmonic Orch. / Mstistlaw Rostropowisch, Violincello
    Seite 1 - Dvořák -Concerto for Violincello and Ochestra in B minor, Op. 104
    Seite 2 - Tschaikowsky - Variations on a Rococo Theme for Violoncello and Orchestra, Op. 33

Deutsche Grammophon - W Germany - 1969

[​IMG]

Picked it up yesterday at a thrift store for $2. Cleaned up nicely on the SPIN-CLEAN. The LP doesn't appear to have been played more than once or twice. Gorgeous sound. :righton:

The LP jacket has that same gold sticker that's on my Beatles W German White Album, DEUTSCHER SCHALL PLATTEN PREIS. Any translators in the house? :D

4. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now, if I decide to perform Dark Side of the Graphyfotoz Moon in its pathetic entirety, I know from whom to borrow some equipment. :idea: :righton:

I hope - with atomic clock and some dancing naked girls inside? :winkgrin:

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Cool find!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutscher_Schallplattenpreis

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yesterdays, Yesterdays, Days I knew as happy sweet sequestered days

That Norman Lebrecht character was a mean and nasty fellow in his strapping youth.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

These clocks are probably worth some good amount of money. Yes?

8. So this is the considered one of the best Vivaldi - 4 Seasons?

[​IMG]

The only versions I own are the Trevor Pinnock and

[​IMG]

Nigel Kennedy :shh: :D

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

Carmignola is good but I do not own his 4 Seasons and therefore cannot quite comment on that particular recording ...

10. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

If George and Coop say it's top shelf it must be pretty darn good! :righton:

11. Inspired by an earlier post. This one's been at the top of my "CDs to play" pile for a while.

Jakob Lindberg - Lute Music From Scotland And France
    BIS - U.K. - 1987

[​IMG]

Nice recording with minimal use of equipment. The Scottish music was recorded on a Studer A80, the French on a Revox A77 @ 15 ips. I worked with both tape machines when I was in radio, back in the day. The recording also used 4 Neumann U89 microphones.

The liner notes contain instructions on how to listen to this CD.

The listener is kindly requested TO DECREASE THE GAIN ON THE AMPLIFIER when listening to the lute. If not, all the nuances disappear and the resulting timbre is most incorrect.

12. Re: Carmignola recording of The Four Seasons (CD)

:cool: Thanks.

13. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set for a first listen. CD1 was pretty good. I need to compare this version with the older version by ASMIF and Neville Marriner on the Argo LP set when I find the time ...

[​IMG]

15. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from this set for a first listen. CD2 has some excellent choral singing.

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

Finally playing the best - Symphony No. 9 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

Now playing this CD1 from my baroque collection. It is hard to believe this 4-CD set is selling at just under $180 on Amazon. Unfortunately, I only have volumes 1 & 2 ...

[​IMG]

1. Bist du bei mir, aria arranged for voice & continuo (after Gottfried Stölzel), BWV 508
    Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach
    with Angelica May, Gustav Leonhardt, Elly Ameling

2. Cantata No. 82, "Ich habe genug," BWV 82 (BC A169) Nos. 2 & 3: Ich habe genug - Schlummert ein, ihr matten Augen
    with Angelica May, Gustav Leonhardt, Elly Ameling

3. Magnificat for 4 voices, chorus, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 3 trumpets, 2 horns, strings & conitnuo in D minor, H. 772, Wq. 215, Quia Respexit
    Composed by Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
    with Aureum Collegium, Elly Ameling
    Conducted by Gerhard Schmidt-Gaden

4. Trauer-musik eines kunsterfahrenen Canarienvogels, secular cantata for voice, strings & continuo, TWV 20:37 Mit sehnenden verlangen & Richt ihr müde Augen nieder
    Composed by Georg Philipp Telemann
    Conducted by Dr. Rudolph Pohl

5. Pensieri notturni di filli (Nel dolce dell'oblio), cantata for soprano, recorder & continuo, HWV 134
    Composed by George Frideric Handel
    with Aureum Collegium, Hans-Martin Linde, Elly Ameling

6. Ah che troppo ineguali (O del ciel Maria regina), solo cantata, HWV 230
    Composed by George Frideric Handel

18. Recent mint $2. thrift store find.

Nicanor Zabaleta & Paul Kuentz Chamber Orchestra - Harp: Ravel, Debussy, Handel, Albrechtsberger
    Deutsche Grammophon - W Germany - 1967

[​IMG]

When did Deutsche Grammophon drop the Gesellschaft from the LP labels? I've heard it was the late 1960s. I was trying to roughly figure out the date of the pressing of the above LP. Guessing it is from the early-mid 1970s, based on how thin the vinyl is compared to most German DG pressings from the 1960s.

19. coopmv

Now playing this CD from my baroque collection.

[​IMG]

1. Cantata No. 202, "Weichet nur, betrübte Schatten" ("Wedding Cantata"), BWV 202 (BC G41)

2. Cantata No. 209, "Non sa che sia dolore," BWV 209 (BC G50)

3. Cantata No. 212, "Mer hahn en neue Oberkeet," (Peasant Cantata), BWV 212 (BC G32) Recit: Im Ernst ein Wort!...Aria: Klein Zschocher

4. Cantata No. 211, "Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht," (Coffee Cantata), BWV 211 (BC G48) Aria: Ei, wie schmeckt der Coffee süsse

5. Cantata No. 211, "Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht," (Coffee Cantata), BWV 211 (BC G48) Aria: Heute noch, heute noch

20. coopmv

Deutsche Grammophon used to be owned by Siemens, the large German conglomerate. IIRC, a member of the founding family of the company was a big fan of Furtwangler and Karajan. I read about this from the book by Richard Osborne: Karajan: A life in Music, though the book did not really get into how DG later became part of Polygram, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Dutch electronics giant. I think Gesellschaft might have been dropped after this ownership transfer.

21. coopmv

Now playing this CD from my Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

22. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now listening to this terrific live War Requiem, exquisitely performed and recorded. This supposedly limited edition single layer SACD arrived today from MDT - had bought it just 5 minutes before their recent LPO offer ended, after extensive research and not winning the Britten Decca recording at eBay (to the good, methinks, because I really disliked Fischer-Dieskau mannerisms on this particular piece).

[​IMG]

On a side note, despite the unbeatable price and obvious performance merits I was kind of embarrassed by the look of the disc itself. I could stand a cracked corner of super jewel case (despite MDT's packaging was uniformly good as ever) but the matrice looks like a cleaned rental - no fingerprints but a lot of tiny and not-so-tiny scratches, although nothing too serious or fatal, just looks weird for a high-end-targeted product. A pity, esp. considering such unbelievably stupid decline of the best ever format and undoubtedly great efforts of a few labels on not burying it completely.

Despite the aforementioned, I won't part with my copy, thus my best recommendations (I read that there was the total run of only 500 SACDs for this title).

23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Great disc as is the companion disc of music from England and Italy.

24. Re: Re: When did DGG drop Gesellschaf and become just DG?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.