Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

SOUNDS AMAZING!
    It's as acoustically appealing to the ear as She is to the eye! NS!! :edthumbs:

BBC Radio Highly Recommended it Nov 2009

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/DG/E4776232

2. So I can blame it on you and Paul the Octopus. ;)

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

It's not me, it's absence of Angela The Groupie! :idea: :angel: But I promise you not to re-play Brahms paranormal hit on Saturday, during Germany-Uruguay. :wave:

4. :cheers:

5. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

6. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

What do you know! Maybe the set will get here....after all, I only ordered 1.:cool:

7. villicodelirante

villicodelirante Forum Resident

[​IMG]

When I do lots of copypasta I must always proof read my posts

8. villicodelirante

villicodelirante Forum Resident

Come on, Moviemars is not a scam, unless they watched too much Lupin the 3rd and decided to go for a life of crime overnight your dollars should be safe :)

9. Graphyfotoz

OMG thats a GREAT deal.....hope a few here will take advantage of it!
    If I didn't already get it new for $7.50........:rolleyes:

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Goebel's Brandenburg Concertos are not bad. The worst BC IMO are those by I Musici, which I have on LP. Perhaps Italian ensemble of the 60's and 70's just could not properly perform any German high baroque masterpieces?

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

I, too, am very partial to this set. George, I know you're a devoted admirer of Cortot as a pianist--are you familiar with the set of Brandenburgs he recorded as conductor of the Ecole Normale Chamber Or.?

12. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

:agree: Perfect Entertainment cancelled my Ravel set saying out of stock. Such is life.

13. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Elgar:
    Violin Sonata

Hugh Bean (Vln) Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra cond. by Sir Charles Groves.
    CD CFP 4632 (CDB 7 67751-2)
    Part of 1993 retrospective of this violinist.

Symphony No1
    LPO Vernon Handley
    CD CFP 9018
    The much loved 1980 release in this six disc cycle.Interestedly the original lp and cassettes used artwork from loaned from Manchester City Gallery reflecting Victorian England of the 'imperial' era but the cd issues of the symphonies had more rustic pastoral artwork substituted, something that hacked me off when I bought the cd versions.

14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

No, I am not. Were they issued on CD.

15. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Oh, I in no way feel scammed. The dollars are safe. They made that clear in the email they sent me, plus Paypal always backs up the funds at some level. They even let me know I could have a refund back immediately:
    Realizing delivery time is sometimes critical, we'd like to immediately extend the option to cancel and receive a full refund (including shipping) for the item listed above should you be unwilling or unable to wait.
    However, I just want the LvB set. They can keep the bones I sent them. If it happens, great. If not, plenty of music out there. :D

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yesterday I listened to Mahler 1 by the the SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg under the the direction of Michael Gielen.

Now I am listening to the 2nd

[​IMG]

These are terrific performances with excellent sound and definitely recommended to all fans of Mahler's music.

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

Although I haven't heard the transfers (I have the set--surprise!--on 78s), it has been:

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Brandenb...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278601307&sr=8-1

Of course, it's not exactly what I'd call *inexpensive*....

This was Victor/HMV's answer to the much more celebrated Busch Chamber Orch. cycle on Columbia. Curiously, the trumpter in Cortot's account of no. 2, at least to my ear, gives a better account of himself than does the much more celebrated George Eskdale in the Busch set. We forget that at that time, to the extent they played the music at all, trumpeters routinely transposed that high part down; to play it as written was considered a real tour de force. Mind you, Cortot's orchestral interpretation is a bit--odd. But then, Busch's, then the height of authentic rectitude, to modern ears sounds pretty heavy and "romantic." Certainly to to the extent of Furtwangler's B'burg 3, however!

18. George P

I hope that everyone leaves negative feedback if they end up not following through on this set. I hate when sellers post stuff that they don't actually have. It's not like they posted 20 and only had 18, they posted 5 and so far haven't followed through with even one. :sigh:

19. George P

Thanks for the info. I just read over at amazon that this was the first ever recorded performance of these works. The samples sound nice, if slow. They don't sound overly filtered as many EMI historical releases either. I will keep an eye out for a cheaper copy in the bins.

20. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Hilary Hahn is one of my favorites. Her disc with Sibelius on it is really something else.

21. Graphyfotoz

Another new one today.
    Got this at a local Antique Store Co-Op (Multi Indoor Vendor Shop)
    They sell Antiques and Collectables mostly but I found this today.
    Still cello wrapped $3.50....what the hay! :D

Been watching for Records for you Guys but nada just yet!

[​IMG]

22. Nice catch. :cheers:

23. Graphyfotoz

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Giulini's "Figaro" is one of my favorites.

25. Graphyfotoz

Did ya get it for $3.50? :laugh: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.