Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Followed by an homage to the new World Champions ...

The LSO conducted by Ataulfo Argenta perform Espana by Chabrier alongside Cappriccio Espangol, Andluza, and Spanish Dances.

[​IMG]

2. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I’ll second a rec for Dohnányi/CO Dvorák. I love this version of the 9th.

Attached Files:

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Gladly--please let us know what you think of it. All too little survives on record of Kabasta, really almost nothing for an artist of his stature (albeit compromised) and interpretive power.

By the by, Royale went back into the late 78 era, when it was a bit more forthcoming about the identities of performers it presented. I have a few that dub material from the Czech Ultraphon label, including a few sides by pianist Auguste de Radwan. Nice stuff, again slumming in sub-par presentation.

4. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Thank you to all who have responded to my comments on Dvorak.

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Just back from CD hunting at the Princeton Record Exchange in New Jersey. Found a ton of great deals, including that rare Moravec Beethoven CD - sealed! :goodie: All CDs were $6.99 or less, except for the Earl Wild 2 Cd set, which was $13.99, sealed. The Backhaus and Richter CDs were from a trade with my Italian friend. :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

and the original 1988 CD release of the material on this CD (can't find an image):

[​IMG]

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Bet you'll like the Solomon.

7. George P

I have the Testament CD with the Moonlight Sonata and like it. :)

8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

WOW what a haul!! :righton:
    Some names I never heard of....Moravec.....Moiseiwitsch...Gieseking and Clara Haskil.
    Man you have some great hunting grounds!
    There is nothing in my area like this at all.....used rock is about it.

GREAT find....I'm jealous! :D

9. George P

They are all first class pianists.

10. George P

Now playing:

[​IMG]

Brahms
    Piano Concerto 2
    Rubinstein Coates
    Mastered by Ward Marston

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have had the 2 Bach Partitas CD's by Maria Tipo for years and they are excellent IMO ...

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oh, you mean these? :D

Attached Files:

13. George P

Yes, that's what Marston likely used for the transfers, show off! ;)

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

So how did you like the Brahms 2d cto.? While I had the set out to make the photos, I went ahead and played it--I think for the first time since it came to me with a huge lot of records back in 1992. My impressions: there are some very lovely things in that set. Rubinstein plays with aplomb and some warmth (and some wrong notes, but who cares?), and Coates is his usual fleet, passionate, but untidy self. The orchestra is not perhaps the last word in technical polish, but it was neat to hear portamento being offered up unashamedly. You would not hear playing like this today from any soloist, conductor, or orchestra. That said, ultimately I felt that it could have done with a bit more weight, particularly in the last couple of mvts.

15. What better way to start off on a rainy Sunday morning.

[​IMG]

16. Followed by ...

[​IMG]

17. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hol. Lee. Sheee. Iiiiiit.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Nice haul, George.

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I've just put this on. I'm only going to be able to listen to a little, as I'm about to go out.

20. villicodelirante

villicodelirante Forum Resident

Interesting indeed.
    Have you read this?

http://www.abruckner.com/Data/artic...egerdru/JB_Rubahn_Bruckner_Third_Symphony.pdf

21. villicodelirante

Can't wait to hear how do you like them :agree:

22. villicodelirante

On my want list.

23. George P

I listened to the Backhaus last night. Though I can hear the decline in the aging pianists technique, I was impressed with how much he had retained. He was 69 years old when those Etudes were recorded and comparison with the set he did at 43 (the first set of Chopin Etudes ever recorded) shows the later recordings to hold up well. The rest of the CD was pretty much what I expected, a very masculine, cold Chopin that made me want to go running for my Rosenthal or Moravec CDs. All in all, I am very glad to have the CD, as I am a fan of the pianist.

The Richter I already had in the Originals series (Tchaikovsky) and a DG Richter compilation (Rachmaninov). I traded to compare the sound quality. I'll do that later today and report back.

Thanks again! Everything arrived unscathed.

24. George P

I had to have my fan on last night, as they were painting the hallways of my apartment, so I didn't hear it as well as I could have. Plus, I am still having a lot of trouble enjoying Historical concerto/orchestral recordings, as the sound seems to leave a lot more to be desired, when compared to solo recordings. I am collecting the early Rubinstein CDs, as I liked his energy in those early years. Much like Gilels, he brings a fire rarely heard in the later recordings. I need to hear this one again before I can say more about the performance.

However, about your point regarding weight in the last two movements, I read in the liner notes that they tried to stick to the tempo indications in the score, something that later recordings of this work rarely try to do. They spoke of the expanding tempos in the Brahms concertos over the years, even with later Rubinstein recordings.

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've got that separate issue of Christoph von Dohnányi/Cleveland Orchestra Dvorak's Ninth. Get the two CD set with the Seventh & Eighth instead—Dohnányi & Cleveland have some of the best performances on discs of those two under-appreciated symphonies.

Also recommended, the best modern performance of Dvorak's Sixth Symphony by Jirí Belohlávek and the BBC Symphony Orchestra:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.