Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Actually three of my 12 or so non-classical DVD-As (by Bela Fleck, Pat Metheny and k.d. lang) do not have hi-rez stereo. All early releases. And you can't rely on the description on the package. :realmad:

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have Harnoncourt doing the Verdi as well - live on an RCA SACD. I haven't listened to it in a while. I need to do so.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Which Naxos DVD-A do you have? 4 Seasons? Do you know of others with instruments in the back? I just a found a whole bunch of Naxos DVD-As on amazon and they are quite cheap. Does any one know this one of Bach's Mass in B minor? Any good?

[​IMG]

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Strangely, I still have no Harnoncourt recordings in my possession, although I've heard, say, his Brahms symphonies and enjoyed them a lot. Perhaps, I need some advice/investigation regarding his best recordings... :wave:

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I can fit about 30 CDs (jewel case size) in one foot of shelf space. I just added 22.5 feet of shelf space. That's 675 CDs.

3 years - divide that by 36 months and it's 18.75 CDs per month.
    4 years - 14 CDs per month
    5 years - 11.25 CDs per month
    6 years - 9.37 CDs per month

So not bad at all. My current buying is about around 10 CDs, so I am good for 5 1/2 years. :goodie:

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yep, one of them is this version of 4 Seasons:

[​IMG]

It's too middle-of-the-road performance to become my top pick, although recording quality-wise it's easily the best among all 4 Seasons I've got so far, despite I've listened to the downmix only. BTW, according to the liner notes, 4 Seasons have only the ambience in the rears, while Concertos for Double Orchestra have 2 opposite orchestras and the soloist somewhere in-between.

This is the second disc:

[​IMG]

I love it very much - the 1st Concerto is among my two favorite versions ever (the second one is the vintage Cliburn on Melodiya), the quiet movement is simply stunning, but the recording utilizes the rears for the ambience only. Also, the quality itself is only average - a bit too steely and murky at the same time, although the 3rd Concerto has a bit better sound.

8. George P

OK, added a shelf at the bottom, shifted some shelves up and some down to even out the vertical space. Plus I moved some stuff from other storage units, to allow some extra space in those units as well. The result:

[​IMG]

9. wolfram

Ah, I was afraid so. I just got the TACET version of the 4 Seasons with two different surround mixes and have to say that no matter how good the performance or interesting the mix, I just cannot really listen to this piece anymore. It's just too overplayed. Pity.

But the Concertos for Double Orchestra sound interesting. Unfortunately are your two Naxos DVD-As only available used and starting around 50 Euros while the others are in stock for around 12 Euros a piece. :mad:

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Although I agree with you regarding 4 Seasons "freshness", I still want badly the versions by Carmignola and Janine Jansen. And probably Lara St. John... :D

As for the price on this Naxos DVD-A - I got it sealed (no cut-offs) for only 7 euros shipped. 2 years ago...

11. wolfram

Ok, I give you 5 Euros for it. :D

This thread made me listen to my TACETs again. I'm presently surrounded by this gem:

[​IMG]

(One major weakness of TACET may be the cover artwork of some of their releases. :shh:)

12. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Agreed. For a scan of the booklet. :cheers: :D

13. George P

And well you should. :righton:

14. wolfram

You're a true pal. :wave:

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

And I will!

BTW, I see that you disbanded your orchestra of box sets. Is this a conceptual/alphabetical turn or just a revolution for the blood's sake?

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

The best discounts and inflation estimations. Only for you. :wave:

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

No biggie, but part of a concert recording I engineered a few weeks ago will be on KING-FM in Seattle tonight at 8 PM Pacific Time, streaming at KING.org. Tonight's selection is the Petit Suite from Jeux d'enfants by Bizet. Tune in if you're bored! :)

Matt

18. wolfram

19. George P

I hadn't noticed that. I organized it late last night and obliviously missed a few details. I'll have to fix that later.

20. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this recording in SACD and believe it is surround as well. The problem with many Naxos recordings except Naxos Historical is the artists are often not particularly well-known. I do enjoy every CD recorded by the Cologne Chamber Orchestra with Helmut Bruhl I have. It is an outstanding combo.

21. coopmv

How is this recording? Looks interesting.

22. coopmv

Now playing the SACD in my one-week old universal player and getting to listen to the SACD layer for the first time. The dynamics is palpable and clearly does not exist in the stereo layer.

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

So what is wrong with a group portrait?

24. coopmv

At some point, I will have to slow down to this rate, i.e. 10 CD's/month. This month will be a big month for me in terms of CD purchases, as I expect to have added about 100 new CD's to my collection by end of this month.

25. George P

A Century of Romantic Chopin

I just got this special 4 CD set in the mail today. As a Marston subscriber, I believe I get all releases ahead of actual release. The details aren't even on their website yet. I have waited a long time for this set, as I heard about it last year.

Some information from the Marston website:

A Century of Romantic Chopin
    54001-2 (4 CDs for the price of 3)
    A Century of Romantic Chopin is a four CD-compilation commemorating the Chopin bicentennial year. The set will include some 65 pianists, going back to Francis Planté and Vladimir de Pachmann who were born when Chopin was still alive. Other pianists in the set include Josef Hofmann, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Ferruccio Busoni, Moritz Rosenthal, Ignace Jan Paderewski, Ignaz Friedman, Alfred Cortot, Jan Smeterlin, Rosita Renard, Claudio Arrau, Guiomar Novaes, Benno Moiseiwitsch, Solomon, Arthur Rubinstein, Emil Gilels, Earl Wild, Jorge Bolet, and others. All of Chopin’s etudes will be represented, as well as a selection of preludes, mazurkas, waltzes, nocturnes, ballades, and scherzi, each performance conveying a personal approach to the music. Some of the recordings will already be familiar to pianophiles because of their legendary status, while many others will be delightful surprises, as they are taken from concert performances and out-of-print recordings.

Reading the liner notes (and the title), it is clear that the focus of this set is on pianists who play in the Romantic style. I think they did a very nice job on this set. I have only heard the first CD, in which the complete etudes ( all 27) are played by 25 different pianists (Rubinstein plays 2, taken from live performances.) Some great performances on there and as always with Marston, superbly mastered sound.

I can't wait to hear more of this set and will report back with highlights in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.