Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It is hard to believe at least 14,000 posts have been added to the Classical Music Corner ...

3. George P

George P Way Down Now

Just a reminder, this thread (and the 14 that have preceded it) is for anything to do with classical music. Post what you're listening to, what recordings you recommend, recent purchases, concerts, discuss works, composers, etc.

Also, beginners are absolutely welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have. This includes requests for recommendations for particular works/composers, etc. We are friendly and are happy to help!

:wave:

4. George P

George P Way Down Now

Very cool that the prior Classical Music threads are all stickied in the archives - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

And they are the only threads that are stickied int he archives, too.

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

RussellG said to me:

How does something like this relate to the devices you've described so far? http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/hrt_music_streamer_usb_converter/

6. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this twofer for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

7. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

That's a USB DAC. USB inputs have been common on DAC's for some time, although that's the first one I recall seeing where USB is the ONLY input.

Basically it's an even more tightly focussed computer interface than the "audio interfaces" I described. It has a single purpose in life - high quality conversion of computer audio files to stereo analog for connecting to an amplifier. The Behringer device and traditional soundcards like Soundblaster or motherboard onboard audio will perform this function as well, but as you get more focussed on that being the primary objective, you would expect the quality to increase.

This device doesn't have digital out, doesn't have an ADC (analog-digital-converter) so you can't record with it, and doesn't even appear to have a headphone output, but it should sound better than the Behringer.

It all comes down to what you want to achieve and how much you want to spend. You can spend $5K+ on a DAC with a USB input if you want!

8. George P

George P Way Down Now

Now playing the Brahms encores from this CD:

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

And I hate red.

11. coopmv

You can always repaint it.

12. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

The thing I like about the Behringer device is that it's so cheap you can dip your toe into computer-as-source with sufficiently high quality to determine if the whole concept is going to work for you, and if it doesn't, well at least it cost you very little. That's basically what I bought it for in the first place. I loved the concept and have moved on to the system described in my profile. However the Behringer is so good I kept it for use in a bedroom system.

Now playing some more Dutoit/Montreal/Double Decca goodness:

[​IMG]

13. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Just finished a three day stay in Santa Fe for the Chamber music festival. The finale was Beethoven's Archduke with Lynn Harrell, Benny Kim and the amazing Yuja Wang. Unfreakingbelievable! This festival is sooooooo cool. The coolest thing about it is the open rehersals every day. For three days I got to see the musicians develop their interpretations and work things out into a final performace. I got to talk to the musicians after the rehersals about the music. This is just so cool. And getting to meet one of my two favorite pianists and watch her reherse as well as see her play. You can't beat this.

14. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

George,
    The link that you posted for a connecting cable at guitar center had a MONO female connector on it. Now, I know that you’re really getting into vintage recordings, but do you want to listen to everything “vintage style”? (i.e., get one with a stereo connector)

And I assume this is just for connecting your headphones to the amp. You will still need a cable to connect the laptop to the amp.

15. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Easy to say that Dutoit is one of your fav conductors?? :D
    He does have the best Holst The Planets out there IMHO.
    It has a few awards to back my claim as well....or it did when I got it in 1987.

16. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I have the single disc of this comp. and I agree that his performances with MSO along with the recording quality on Decca during this period are just superb.

His Holst "Planets," Respighi "Pines/Fountains of Rome," Saint-Saëns, Stravinsky, and Berlioz from this period are all excellent versions.

Attached Files:

17. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

He strikes me as one of those conductors who could be relied on to produce a quality performance with many different genres/styles...Ormandy, Szell, Dohnanyi, etc. I don't think I've heard anything bad by any of those guys.

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Lookie what showed up in today's mail! :goodie:

Attached Files:

19. Graphyfotoz

In that case.....:edthumbs:

[​IMG]

20. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I've heard a few Planets but not that one. The two I've kept are Previn/Telarc and an early Rattle/EMI. Didn't we have a Planets album cover posting competition a while back? ;)

21. Graphyfotoz

Probably....we seem to have at least one cover comp each month! :D

Seriously if your Hot for Dutoit you can get The Planets conducted by Him real reasonable.

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"More or less in line . . ."

Can't remember:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Thanks that cover looks familiar - I may have seen it in the used bins. I'll keep an eye out.

Also I like your reverential Him reference, whether it was intentional or not...:)

24. Graphyfotoz

Now on the spin......
    Another EXCELLENT Rubbra CD added to my Collection yesterday!

[​IMG]

Album notes
    This recording received a 1998 "Critic's Choice" award from Gramophone
    magazine.

Editorial reviews
    The `Sinfonia Concertante,' Rubbra's earliest published work, has one of the most haunting opening passages I've ever heard....Anyone interested in 20th Century music ought to buy this disc and listen to a unique, extremely interesting talent that may now be on the verge of higher recognition.
    American Record Guide (11/01/1997)

25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I own the M-Audio Transit and liked it working under XP, but from many users' complaints it seems that it's not working properly under Vista or W7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.