Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Can't say that I'm terribly surprised; I know many will say "there he goes again" and do this number: :rolleyes: , but for me the words "tension" and "drama" generally don't appear in the same sentence with the name "Haitink" without the word "not" in close attendance. By way of expiation, here's a take on the Rite that I think is surprisingly effective (the arrangement, that is, although this performance of it isn't bad, as I recall, either). I've heard it performed in person--not, of course, by these pianists--and was much impressed. Apologies for the dubious photo quality, by the by; for whatever reason, that cover wanted to reflect glare no matter how I angled the camera.

Attached Files:

2. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

How this set?

[​IMG]

Reviews look pretty good and the price can't be beat. It's actually the lowest price Amazon has offered for this set.

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have it - very nice (although I don't have any with which to compare it)..

4. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing for a first listen:

W.A. Mozart: Così fan tutte (Part 1). Soile Isokoski/Monica Groop/Nancy Argenta/La Petite Bande/Sigiswald Kuijken/etc. (Brilliant Classics Mozart Edition 170CD set, Vol. 9 CD 38)

5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I agree. However for anybody interested in Rite, Igor Markevitch' s (a Diaghilev protege and pupil of Monteux who premiered the work at Diaghilev's Ballets Russes) both recordings with the Philharmonia Orchestra made for EMI in 1951(mono) and 1959 (stereo) are by far the savagest of all and both are in a Testament CD released in 1997. Highly recommended.

Also, I liked a lot Dudamel's DG recording coupled with Revueltas IIRC.

layman likes this.
  6. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Thanks for the recommendation of Markevitch, and Testament has done some very good transfers in my opinion. I will be trying the Markevitch.

7. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Two ways of getting it. I highly recommend the Double Decca, although it's a pity it doesn't include Four Norwegian Moods from the earlier disc.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I don't know this set because years ago I acquired a different version and hadn't thought about moving on. It was an early Telefunken Teldec recording with Gustav Leonhardt, Franz Bruggen, Concerto Amsterdam, and Jaap Schroder.

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This has to be an excellent TelDec set ... :righton:

10. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

Thanks to the person who posted the Fretwork 5-cd set. I never would have stumbled into it without it being mentioned here.

While I'm thanking people I would really like to thank everybody who has posted in this thread. Classical music was always one of the rare genres that I just could not get into. I grew up on Rock music, which I still enjoy. I've spent the last twenty years exploring Jazz music. I also enjoy Country, Blues, Bluegrass and all the other genre labels people put on music.

I have tried Claasical several times in the past but it always left me cold. I started reading this thread and the RCA Living Stereo thread and picked up a big pile of cd's. Finally the bug bit me. I find that people writing about their enjoyment and enthusiasm for any music opens my ears to the music more. I think this was the case for me and finally enjoying classical. Jazz and everything else has kept me very busy. I was itching for something new and it has been just incredible to get exploring this whole new world of music. I'm sure this will improve my quality of life until my last breath, so thanks everybody. Amazon, Presto, MDT, JPC, Berkshire etc. must all be quite pleased also.

11. George P

George P Way Down Now

You're very welcome. I am very glad to read your post, as helping others discover classical music was one of the main reasons I started this thread way back when. :wave:

:laugh:

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

I got my new phono preamp about a week ago, got it installed over last weekend (a process that entailed tearing down and rebuilding the entire stereo rig), and finally am getting a chance to play with it some. I must say that so far I'm very pleased. Here are the first fruits.

The Gluck was particularly interesting in comparison to what NPR World of Opera broadcast from La Monnaie a couple of weeks ago; performance practice for music of that period has certainly gone through a real sea change in the last 80 years. Of course, Strauss was almost certainly working from the Wagner revision/rescoring, but that in itself says something. The Mozart will be a nice companion to the BSOO/Kleiber account of sym. 39, one of my favorite recordings, and the Rossini is my favorite account of that overture (blasphemy, I know, coming from a great admirer of Toscanini, but one of the more irritating "isms" in classical music is that foolishness about "if you like Furtwangler you can't like Toscanini" and vice versa). I only wish that it (the Rossini, that is) weren't such a sadly worn copy. Anyhow, I must say that it's nice to be getting back into whirling my 78s again!

Attached Files:

13. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Amazon.de has the complete Haydn symphonies cycle by Dorati for like $79 shipped to the USA. You have no idea how hard it is not to jump on it.

14. George P

George P Way Down Now

Boy do I know that feeling.

15. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I have to get some fillings done next week. That's the only thing stopping me.

16. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

75c per symphony?

17. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Just about. It's actually cheaper than Amazon US, UK, or anywhere else.

18. john greenwood

That's the one I had on LP.

19. George P

George P Way Down Now

It's damn cheap.

I'd like to hear some of those Virgin twofers of the Haydn Symphonies myself.

20. john greenwood

I love the Haydn symphonies, and I've had that set in my shopping basket from time to time, but can't (and still won't) pull the trigger. I have recordings of about half the symphonies by various conductors (including 15 by Dorati). Somehow 50 symphonies seems sufficient.

My favorite Haydn conductor remains Bernstein. I have his recordings of the Paris Symphonies and the later London Symphonies.

If I were to buy some more Haydn Symphonies, I'd probably get this.

Attached Files:

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Just keep pluckin' them chickens

The Paris Symphony set with Sigiswald Kuijken leading the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment is one of the great Haydn symphony recordings and urgently recommended:

[​IMG]

layman likes this.
  22. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Senior Member

I can recomment this too.. got it last year for £5. It's a good little label Briilliant Classics. I have no idea if they're still going. This is a fine listen:

[​IMG] and their budget release operas are worth checking out. Often they use an older mastering if that's what you prefer, for example this:

[​IMG]

uses the mid 1980s mastering (it notes it on the back cover) and not the later remastered Great Recordings EMI CD of it which is still in print.

23. George P

George P Way Down Now

:wave:

Yes, they did another 2fer on the same label of other Haydn Symphonies, right?

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The later set by the same crew was not quite at that exalted level.

Speaking of that exalted level . . .

[​IMG]

. . . now playing.

25. George P

George P Way Down Now

Thanks. Now I know which one to get first. :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.