Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I saw her live a few years ago and she played a couple of Bach solo pieces for the encore. My jaw dropped. What a monster player. :cheers:

2. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Got this today:
    [​IMG]
    $2.49 from Amazon Warehouse. Can't wait to listen.

3. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

Good day to you all. NP (recent buy):

Attached Files:

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've been trying to keep a fairly tight lid on new record purchases, as I have too much that I have never played already, but during a thrift store visit today I came across a few things that looked up at me with such pleading, sad little eyes that I just couldn't resist. :angel:

The Klemperer set runs to 20 records(!) and set me back $7. I wish the Mozart trios by Kraus and co. didn't have water damage to the box, but at least the records look fine. Otherwise, what I bought was largely in the "off the beaten track repertoire" category. I've never heard of pianist Berenice Lipson-Gruzen; anybody hear know anything about her?

Not pictured are a record of French Renaissance music directed by Nadia Boulanger (and issued by the American Decca educational dept.)

I should note that the price markings, while annoying, are in grease pencil and will come off with a plastic eraser. You do have to wonder about these people, though; elsewhere in the same store was a photographic lens that had been marked right on the front glass element. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

Here are the contents of the Klemperer set:

Attached Files:

6. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Now playing my favorite Beethoven String Quartet - Op. 132

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

10 years after her last Bach recording with Jeffrey Kahane and the LACO?

8. coopmv

I am beginning to wonder whether this should be my third set of Beethoven String Quartet? :winkgrin:

9. George P

George P Notable Member

What are your other two?

10. coopmv

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Some nice finds, there. Some of the price marks can detract and some cases I find can permanently alter the future value of a collectable. I have not heard of the Desto pianist.

12. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Anyone have these?
    Your thoughts of em?

My person I have been buying from has these on hold for me.
    Used Like New...

Elgar-The Dream of Gerontius - 2 CD Set - $17
    Handel - Chandos Anthems - 4 CD Set - $16

Chandos Anthems - Amazon user review rates it at 7 PPl at 5 stars
    The Dream of Gerontius - Amazon user review rates it at 1 person 5 Stars

[​IMG] - [​IMG]

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Don't have them, sorry!

14. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Now if Coop says that I think I'll faint! :laugh:
    Not much that Guy don't have....MAN what a Collection!!

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That's the stereo symphony cycle, right?

I used to own it on Angel LPs. Recently repurchased it, packaged together with the Barenboim Concertos on CD and discovered I still loved it (the symphonies, but not the concertos).

I also have the Missa Solemnis (my only recording) which is marvelous.
    I mean, doesn't Klemperer mean Solemn in German? :)

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member Thread Starter

I think these solo works are 13 years old, or so. Still, for me it's "relatively recent". :angel:

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You should check out the Tackas Quartet on Decca. Great SQ of a group that produces symphonic realizations of the scores. Much better SQ than the two sets you have now.

[​IMG]

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I honestly think the problem in Hilary Hahn's Bach Violin Concerti is coming from the conductor. Actively dislike the Hilary Hahn recording of the VCs, hope she gets a remake with a group more in tune with her style.

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

That's the one. As far as I can tell, this set compiles all his stereo Beethoven recordings for EMI into one big box. Aside from one side of the 9th sym., which has a few marks that are most likely harmless, the records look pristine. Exploration will be something of an adventure for me; I've never been that big a Klemperer fan (I favor brisker tempos than what I've heard of his), but then, I've never given him a really comprehensive chance to convince me. Well, here it is. Especially at the price, I figured these classic accounts belonged in my library even if they don't end up as favorites.

[Afterthought] Actually, I can think of one Klemperer recording that veers the other way. I used to have a recording he did of the Mendelssohn Italian Sym. on mono Vox; the final mvt. was not just fast, but so frantic it just about fell apart. Not much caring for it, I sold the record not long after buying it--just another example of "I never yet disposed of a record that I didn't end up regretting it."

20. Jay F

Jay F New Member

These are my favorite SQs.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I still have a few blue-label Angels laying around. They're a bit too grim for me, though his Missa Solemnis is worthy. The Pastorale, well—"You vill get uuuuuuuuused to it", the earlier, mono, Philharmonia 3, 5 & 7 are more animated and better played, the later Eroica has a unique Brucknerian grandeur.

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

This set has the kind of focus the Smetana Quartet brought to these pieces. But the Smetana Quartet project the music on a chamber scale while the Tackas Quartet sound Big and very dynamic. Great interpretations as well as great sound.

23. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Those sets retail in the $30 range for some inexplicable reason. I wish they would do a budget release of the whole cycle instead of having early, middle, and late sets.

24. john greenwood

They're doing a series of 3 Schubert concerts in NYC this season. The first is on October 16. Really looking forward to it.

But Robin might feel differently as they are performing with Jeffrey Kahane. :D

25. john greenwood

Yourmusic has the late quartets for $21. They used to have the earlier sets of $7 per disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.