Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #17)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

any more recomendations of Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique? :wave:

I'd like to ask for beautiful symphonies without singing too :thumbsup:

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Rachmaninov's second symphony - I like the Ormandy recording.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

More from this...

[​IMG]

Chopin works[/QUOTE]

TGIF!!! :wave:

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Big day for me tomorrow. We're celebrating my parents 60th wedding anniversary. My brothers and I are taking them to "West Side Story", which my parents saw during its initial run in 1957 - my musical world began with Broadway.

In the evening, I'm off to hear the Takacs Quartet and Jeffrey Kahane play Schubert.

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

60 years together....amazing!! Congrats to them!
    Wow did they see it with Bernstein at the time?

6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I vaguely recall reading that Bernstein conducted opening night, but I don't believe he was ever there on a regular basis. The CD lists Max Goberman as musical director.

They took me to my first two musicals in 1957 - "My Fair Lady" and "The Music Man." I saw Julie Andrews (but not Rex Harrison) and Robert Preston. I was 5.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

RE: Beautiful symphonies with no singing, might I suggest the Rachmaninov Piano Concertos 2 and 3? They aren't symphonies, but they are beautiful and there's no singing.

To get them both on one CD, Janis/Dorati on Mercury Living Presence is wonderful.

To get just #2, Richter/Wislocki is superb! But get the edition that pairs it with the Prokofiev concerto, as the more common Tchaikovsky pairing is in poorer sound.

8. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Personally, I have 2 versions and my preferred one is by RPO/Mackerras. IIRC, it has pretty rare exposition repeat in one of the movements. I have the SACD version on Membran, 20-bit sonics are cool (if not on par with some current state-of-art productions). :righton: amazon.de and jpc.de sell it for 8 euros (+ shipping).

Attached Files:

9. Graphyfotoz

OMG my deal of the month!

I just picked up a 7 CD lot of Harmonia Mundi France CD's on evilbay USED like new for $29.95 shipped!!

2 of the cds sell for $30 used each on Amazon!!
    Coupla the others are OOP.

Cheapest on this one USED $38 shipped
    [​IMG]

Cheapest USED for this one $30 shipped
    [​IMG]

There are still deals out there if ya keep your eyes open and do your homework!

Oh hell here is the auction....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270646400552&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, doctor, I have this problem with the Symphonie Fantastique. It's the work where I take my stand to polish my "performance is everything and sound quality be d*mned," "I'm a record collector and I hew to the obscure and unobtainable" credentials. My overwhelming first choice, beyond Munch, beyond everyone, is by the USSR State Orchestra under Oskar Fried. Nothing else comes close, especially in the last two mvts. It's a Russian aircheck from the '30s, and its 15 minutes of "in print" fame came as 10 on an LP that topped my "want list" for years but that I never saw and another 5 on a Lys CD that I stumbled across, not even suspecting its existence, and instantly snapped up at Tower years ago. Fabulous performance. Ghastly early '30s Soviet broadcast sound.

Which leads to a question. One of its many points of superiority is in the scoring: it takes the optional doubling of orchestra chimes with piano. Anybody know a decently recorded, rip-snorting modern performance that does likewise?

I thought about this work for the "beautiful etc." syms. query, but I thought it might be a bit too close to the "dissonant/discordant" disqualification....

11. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

Splendid set :thumbsup:

Simon :)

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just listened to Annie Fischer's interpretations of Mozart's piano concerti Nos.20-23 with Wolfgang Sawallisch (21, 22) and Sir Adrian Boult (20, 23), both with the Philharmonia Orchestra London. Excellent playing, even though the accompaniment is a bit too much "big-band" Mozart to my taste. Nevertheless, highly recommended!

13. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Picked up these LPs today, haven't listened yet though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I should add that the sound on the 1995 Seraphim 2CD-set with those four concerti isn't very good; the tutti sound distorted and I wouldn't be surprised if EMI had applied noise reduction. Maybe earlier CD versions sound better.

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

This one's great, beautifully recorded and cheap:

[​IMG]

16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The best in existence IMHO and great price too.

berl.jpg

17. Graphyfotoz

This is the only copy I have ever had.....looks like it's due for an upgrade!
    Another to add to the round-to-it list!! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

18. Rose River Bear

You definitely need to get the Muti. I had the Boulez recording long ago and gave it to goodwill. I am sorry to say this but it is a horrible rendition of the Sym Fant IMHO. Sorry for the honesty.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Boulez version is very "clean" and matter-of-fact, like so many of his recordings, but I wouldn't say that it's horrible. It does lack feeling, though.

I said in thread #16 that I had never found a version that I totally liked, but Sir Colin Davis' second recording, the one with the Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam, is pretty good in my opinion.

20. Rose River Bear

The Davis Concertgebouw Sym Fant is of course a classic. One of my favorites along with a couple others.

I love many of Boulez recordings but this one is surely one of his misses along with a few others. :cheers:

21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing this CD, which arrived yesterday for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

I bought this twofer a while back. It is a wonderful set and my first introduction to Mravinsky's artistry ...

23. Rose River Bear

An awesome Second. One of the best IMHO. :cheers:

24. coopmv

I played the CD at a relatively low volume and probably did not fully appreciate the power projected by the orchestra. I should have a second listen at some point ...

25. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set, which arrived two days ago from across the pond for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.