Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #18)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Jim My apology as there was some mixup. It appears that the all-Wagner program CD is no longer (widely) available and may be already OOP. It is now available at almost $100.

2. coopmv

Now playing this CD, which arrived early this week for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

3. John S

John S Forum Resident

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'm sure these Brahms Symphony boxes would do quite nicely. The '78 Karajan cycle is serviceable, but its lush, compact sound lacks soul. No fire. If any composer needs fire, it's Brahms. ;)

I intend to re-listen to my meager Brahms piano concerto collection soon.

4. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Dude you lost me here somewhere!
    The 1st link you gave me looks to be of the Wagner CD you had pictured.
    Amazon says it'll be out Dec 7 for $13.14 +sh.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Got this long ago and have been using it to fine tune my speaker/system setup. Nice warm sound, beautiful, refined performances - though lacking excitement.

6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

No no you were perfectly right. The final all Wagner concert of Toscanini has been issued on CD a million times by various labels. Even Music & Arts had issued in the past with a different sleeve but the same number. This new as per your amazon listing is perfectly in-print:

http://musicandarts.com/CDpages/CD3008.html

7. John S

John S Forum Resident

As I said above, the '78 HvK Brahms is meh, imo. I will get another set sometime soon. I've been listening to Brahms' symphonies for years, and they've definitely grown on me -- I don't remember what I used to have on vinyl. I should actually know them better. For example, whenever I tune into one already in progress on the radio, I know its one of the symphonies, but often I can't place which one. I suppose that's a symptom of Brahms being kind of marginal with me, no?

John, you know I've read all the posts on Classical Music Corner, so I'm aware of your regard for B's chamber music. I intend investigating some of that music very soon.

By the first trio, do you mean opus 8?

Very healthy attitude, if you ask me. My posting about not liking Brahms much on this thread was the first time I ever said that to anybody. I'm done pretending to like something just because I'm supposed to.

However, if I listen to more of Brahms' music unfamiliar to me I may have to eat my words. I hope I do. :)

8. coopmv

Two different but very similar portraits of Toscanini, one looking to the right and the other looking to the left are used on the cover of these 2 CD's. The one CD that is still available at a reasonable price is not an all-Wagner program while the other one is, but that costs $100 now.

9. coopmv

But does this CD have a $100 price tag like Amazon US does?

10. John S

John S Forum Resident

In the tray:

Chopin - Etudes
    Vladimir Ashkenazy

Whole lotta notes here....

Attached Files:

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

This one that goes for 100 dollars was issued by one of these pathetic italian labels "Originals" and has nothing to do with the all Wagner concert issued by Music and Arts and picured in your previous message and is, or will be available next week.

13. coopmv

Not sure why my search on Amazon did not come up with this page earlier, but Amazon search can be quirky at times. Great news for Jim since it looks like he really wants to get this CD. I doubt many people would want to fork over $100 for this CD. While Toscanini might be a great conductor, I do not consider this recording a definitive Wagner recording by any means ...

14. Graphyfotoz

No but being His last performance it is Historic.

15. Graphyfotoz

16. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

17. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I think the Ashkenazy/Haitink & RCO combo did much better on the 2 Brahms Piano Concertos they recorded. Both are some of my favorite versions, but currently OOP I believe.

[​IMG]

18. coopmv

But maybe available at ArkivMusic as a CDR ... :winkgrin:

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I haven't heard those performances, but I have a number of sets of those concertos that I enjoy. Moravec, Serkin, Gilels, Fleisher and perhaps my favorite, Barenboim/Barbirolli.

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Hot date at the opera tonight: Wagner's LOHENGRIN at Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. Two tix front row grand circle. This should be good.

21. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set for a first listen. What a soprano Barbara Schlick was in this set ...

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

They are good. The Brahms 2nd is with the Vienna Philharmonic though. I remember that one of these two is exceptional but I do not recall which...:mad:

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

You bet. Lucky you. :righton:

25. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

You can also check out Brahms' lovely sextet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Zuec49bO4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.