Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #19)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

One more shipped from ImportCDs today:

Mstislav Rostropovich: Complete Emi Recordings

So that's 9/13.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I was asking an online friend who tunes pianos for a living which recordings best capture the sound of a piano and that recording was the first one he picked. :righton:

Second was Moravec's Debussy recordings for Vox.

3. John S

John S Forum Resident

Earl Wild called my town home for decades. Here's an interesting quote from the Columbus Dispatch's obit:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/arts/stories/2010/01/24/wild.ART_ART_01-24-10_A2_41GCP9J.html

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Well, I play - badly.

For his final appearance as a soloist with the NY Philharmonic, Stanley Drucker (first clarinettist for half a century) chose to play the Copland.

For those who are interested, other interesting works not mentioned would include:

Hindemith's chamber music for the clarinet,
    Stravinsky's arrangement of "The Soldier's Tale" for trio,
    Eight lovely short pieces by Bruch for clarinet, viola and piano,
    Sonatas by Reger and Saint-Saens,
    Ravel's Introduction and Allegro
    Khacheturian's Trio
    Lutoslawski's dance preludes

Bernstein's Opus 1 was a clarinet sonata.

But the thing that to my mind distinguishes the Mozart, Brahms and Messaien is that they would appear on many lists of the greatest chamber music of all time (or in the case of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, greatest concertos of all times). The Brahms and Mozart quintets can be mentioned in the same breath as the late Beethoven Quartets and the Schubert Quintet for Strings. The Messiaen has been called the greatest work of chamber music of the 20th century (I don't agree), and Richard Stoltzman and Peter Serkin formed Tashi in order to perform it

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Man this is THE longest I have ever had to wait for a order from anywhere!
    ImportCDs.com is slow as smoke off snail ---t!!

6. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

This may have been mentioned earlier, but I find it interesting that Moravec usually traveled with his own tuning kit and if necessary would try to improve the tuning on the pianos he was going to use.

Aren't the Moravec Chopin Nocturnes from Connoisseur Society recordings? If so, we know very little about the engineer who deserves praise.

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I got another e-mail today saying the rest of my order shipped today.

8. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

My Aldo Ciccolini complete recordings set shipped today.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not to start a fight or something, but are people here really interested in reports on the shipping status of orders that other members have placed?

I'd much rather read people's opinions of the music they've been listening to (whether it's a first listen or not ;)), but I can only speak for myself, of course.

10. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

When I listen to the boxes, I'm going to make a post for each disc I listen to. You'll click on this thread and find that 90% of the posts since you last looked are MINE. :shtiphat:

11. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

I used to have 3 Albums of Pagannini Pieces for Violin and Guitar Palyed by Sonja Prunbauer and I think it was Georgi Ricci does anyone konow if they are available on CD and if so where can I get them. they are the best recordings of Paganninis works for violin and guitar that I have ever heard.

12. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Why didn't you just do a search on Amazon?

13. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Ah you are correct I had the name wrong. Its along time since I last saw those albums 1994 to be exact. Good one
    Would prefer to find a New copy I will now search all the store in Toronto hopefully I will be able to find it there

Cheers.

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Late Show with David Letterman

EMI trumpeter Alison Balsom will appear tonight playing the Allegro from Marcello's Oboe Concerto in C Minor, arranged for trumpet by Balsom.

15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Great disc. You paid $10 less than I did when I bought it two years ago.:cheers:

16. Rose River Bear

Kinda agree. However, this is a pretty broadly defined thread so you have to filter what is useful to you. :cheers:

17. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning perhaps the greatest orchestral performance on disc.

kleiber.jpg

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I agree, these two readings are amazing. I have the 2 earlier separate CD releases.

To my ears Carlos Kleiber was one of the greatest conductors. Wish he had recorded more. His father, Erich Kleiber, is also one of my favourites, especially in Beethoven.

19. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

ditto.

and i hasten to add that while people are free to post as they choose (within the forum guidelines), i find posts such as 'now playing:' to be particularly unenlightening. not that i'm expecting a dissertation, but gee... is it that hard to say you're: enjoying the performance, it's a classic, it's a first listen, you like the recording but not the performance, you like the performance but not the recording, etc.??? it just seems to be a bit of a dead end for replies...
    :wave:m.

20. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

in terms of 'our generation' you could be right. but going back a few years, in terms of #5, erich 'papa' kleiber also knew his way around a beethoven score! ;)

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Today is all about the LB box set. Bruckner (which I keep going back to) and Copland so far. Here are a couple of the original LP covers. This box set, as nearly comprehensive as it is, doesn't contain any of Bernstein's most familiar Copland works, "Appalachian Spring," "Billy the Kid," "Fanfare for the Common Man." I guess "symphonic" isn't quite the same "Symphony."

Attached Files:

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Erich Kleiber's 1953 reading of Beethoven's 6th, with the Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam, is also a classic. A monumental performance.

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I find value in posts that simply state "now playing." There's a lot of music I've heard over the years that I may simply have forgotten the existence of, but when I'm reminded of some particular composer, conductor, album cover, I find myself digging that particular composer, conductor, or album cover out of my collection (or else buying a copy, if it's something I don't have).

I can think of no more fertile source for thinking of classical music I might like to listen to than this thread. As for the "dissertation" aspect, I'm probably more comfortable with shorter bits of text, as I am not technically knowledgeable about music. I only know what I like and don't like, so there's not a whole lot else I can really say. And I'm comfortable with that.

You might find the forum at Good Music Guide more acceptably erudite. http://www.good-music-guide.com/

24. Rose River Bear

Amazing to say the least even though they play the famous motif wrong! This recording cannot be topped for precision or passion. Sound quality coulda been better though.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I didn't like the sound on the "Originals" remaster, I found it too harsh and rather unpleasant. I kept the 2 separate earlier CDs of Carlos Kleiber's Beethoven 5th and 7th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.