Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #19)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I've never liked it. It might have been the remastered sound, but I found myself never playing it. I finally sold it or gave it away.

I had read about each of the Kleiber Beethovens in the Penguin Guides back in the '80s, mostly noting the reviewers' ire that each had been released as a single, full-price CD with no makeweight. As I had at least five other versions, I skipped the Kleiber until whenever the "Originals" version came out. Actually, I won it in a lottery (100 classical CDs from iclassical.com, an early iteration of what has morphed into Universal Music) back in 1999, IIRC.

It was a disappointment to me, since I had indeed been expecting something akin to "perhaps the greatest orchestral performance on disc."

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Along the lines of greatest performances on disc....I think I will play this next. Anyone else agree?

polin.jpg

3. Rose River Bear

Not that it matters as we have our own opinions but I must say many do not like the recording sound which is a factor but, the majority of critics and musical historians believe it is one of the greatest in terms of performance and conducting.

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Adding to my disappointment.

5. Rose River Bear

I was going to put .."But what do they know?" at the end of my previous post but you beat me to it!:cheers:

6. Rose River Bear

Just curious what are you favorite LVB Fifths?

7. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I have been reading this classical thread since it started and don't think I've posted in it. Thanks to whoever started the conversation going. I listen to lots of my old favorites, mainly rock and old country with many toe dips into jazz and the blues. I like many things from the early 20s up to releases from this year. I like to be open to anything I haven't heard and try to give any bit of music a fair chance before I give up on it.

I've slowly been picking up a classical piece here and there and listen as often as I have time. I want to listen closely so I don't use any kind of music as background noise, I need to focus. Anyway I have been enjoying classical more and more. I am far, far from an expert but I am learning. My favorite is probably Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. One thing that really appeals to me is I will never run out of things to discover.

This thread, all 19 parts of it, is a learning experience itself. You've made me check out more than a few new things and go back and relisten to many things I've not spent enough time with. Thanks to everyone who has posted in this almost 18,000 response thread. There are many interesting and valuable things posted on this site everyday but I think this is the most valuable thread of the whole history of the Hoffman site. At least it is for me. I don't have much to contribute to this thread but I am reading (and listening) and do appreciate all your comments. They make me think and what more can I ask for? Please continue.

8. Rose River Bear

Pictures at an Exhibition was one of my first favorites also. I have around 15 recordings of it.

Welcome to the thread.

9. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

'pictures at an exhibition' is cool because you can listen to the original piano version and also compare the different orchestrated versions. there are some 'golden age' recordings too, like the rca. and if you want to dig in to the piece you can look up the paintings that were the inspirations for the sections... so, lots of different aspects to it and i think it's a piece that appeals to a broad range, from beginners to seasoned listeners. i don't think you can say that about too many pieces... :righton:

10. Rose River Bear

So true. You can go from Richter's incredible live version all the way to Emerson Lake and Palmer's rock version. !!!

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think some other members ordered it - Eddie?. I don't have the set but may pull the trigger soon.

12. coopmv

Now playing CD5, the last CD from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

You mean Rock's /real/ Greatest Achievement? :angel:

14. coopmv

Just placed an order with Amazon US on the following CD sets this evening ... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. John S

John S Forum Resident

Wow...30 CDs of Vaughan Williams?

Not in this lifetime. :shake:

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I do have it. Performance-for-performance this may be the best single-composer box I own. I've listened to three discs so far, all orchestral works. As much as I look forward to EMI's Britten 'Collector's Edition' 30CD set (coming soon), I wish Decca would consolidate their four pricey big boxes of Britten-conducted works and make a big one instead. That is the real deal. But for $7, I'm not gonna complain about EMI's offering.

17. coopmv

I paid about $1.50 per CD at Amazon US for this set, still a pretty good deal. This is also likely to be my last purchase of any Vaughan Williams recordings. For a relatively minor composer, having 60+ LP's/CD's should provide enough coverage. :righton:

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

:shh: Keep it secret in England.

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

the 20th & 21st Century Piano Sonatas cd was recorded at Fernleaf Abbey,
    Columbus.he was 83-4 at the time.apparently "Fernleaf Abbey " was actually
    his home & Ivory Classics his own record label.
    while my wife was attending a conference in Dublin in '06 i was hitting used record stores in the Columbus area-came away with a good stack of cds & a
    few lps.had a pleasant stay & hope to get up there again someday.

20. John S

John S Forum Resident

In the tray:

Can't say much about your disc, much as I'd like to hear it. But I can say the three sections of Petrushka on this disc is mighty impressive. (I don't have a handle on the Bartok PCs yet.)

Three movements from Petrushka
    1. "Danse Russe"
    2. "Chez Petrushka"
    3. "La Semaine Brasse"

Superhuman technique required here. Difficult enough for a world-class orchestra to execute, but a lone keyboard player? Impressive, to say the least.

Attached Files:

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

22. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

A good choice, you just sent me back to it.

I recall the first time I heard it thinking the piano sound was terrible. But maybe it was my reaction to the piece as well. I am listening to it now and although it isn't lush, it isn't horrible.

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't know that I have one. I listened to HvK's 1977 version when CDs first came out, and thought it was alright. I don't love Beethoven, and the Fifth is not one of my favorites, no matter who's conducting. I have or used to have:
    Bernstein CBS
    HvK 1977
    HvK 1963
    Harnoncourt
    Bohm (I like his Beethoven best all around, I guess)
    Hogwood
    Norrington on EMI

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

My favorites go in this order:
    7th (the reason I bought this disc is because I love the 2nd movement)
    9th
    tie between 3rd and 6th
    5th

5th comes in 5th. And I almost never listen to the 1st, 2nd, or 8th.

I am enjoying the Bernstein 5th right now, but that may have more to do with the fact that I've always been a Bernstein fan.

24. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Do tell about the Bach when it arrives. What is a "pedal harpsichord" (emph. added)?

25. John S

John S Forum Resident

Curious...I've lived in and around Dublin for 30 years, and I have never heard of "Fernleaf Abbey". I'd love to find out where his former home is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.