Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #20)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Now playing...

[​IMG]

Another new acquisition from yesterday. Kempff and Bach, a match made in heaven.

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

Don't think of it as something you have to listen to all at once. Begin with what you think you'll like. I recommend his Beethoven, Mahler, Haydn, and his Bruckner 9 as starters.

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

dug this out of the basement,along with vol.1.good listening.

Attached Files:

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, this is what I was getting at.

I continue to buy stuff from time to time (I enjoy stopping in used shops a great deal) and rather than rush to hear all the new stuff, I wait until I am in the mood to hear them. I just counted 139 classical CDs in my collection that I have yet to play once. It actually keeps me form compulsively buying just to hear something new, as I can do that simply by checking my shelves. I keep the new stuff pulled out from the wall, so I know which ones I have not heard yet.

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Everybody, Happy New Year from Tokyo.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, Happy New Year Everyone!! :wave:

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

A true classic of the recorded music.-

8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Happy New Years Eve.....got 11.5hrs yet before 2011! :D

9. Graphyfotoz

Yet another Award Winning Pianist I've never heard of!!

BEST OF 2010: "RIPPLING AND BRILLIANT" - The New York Times

LEIF OVE ANDSNES WINS PRESTIGIOUS RECORD GEIJUTSU ACADEMY AWARD IN JAPAN
    10 Dec 2010

http://www.emiclassics.com/news.php?nid=1778733

[​IMG]

10. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Murray Perahia is quite sublime. He is the master of touch. Smooth as silk. He's kinda the Ben Webster of classical piano. He's the anti Lang Lang.

11. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

True that, played a few ao Böhm's famous war reading in Vienna, HvK, Bernstein and Abendroth plus Furtwängler...the best is IMO Böhm's final loooong (just under 80 minutes) reading, the sweetest, ripest, squeezing out each drop of what is in the symphonie like never before or after; but faves come and no...

One CD impressed me recently.
    BTW a good choice for tonights festivities. I have to be careful, since I caught a pnaumonia on christmas...
    This one :
    YURI Temarkanov - 1812 Overtüüre Symphony No. 5
    St Petersburgh Orchestra
    Tchaikovsky
    Red Seal Classic.

Btw. can someone explain the differences between Opera ( Oper ) and Operette ( Musical ) ?
    Both are Singspiele mit Musik, one is lighter one more deeper and with a higher approach, but somehow serious art.
    what makes Die Zauberflöte an opera and Die Fledermaus an operette ?
    oith are often played by the same conductors artists and musicians.
    Are todays musicals really ancestors of Die Lustige Witwe or Der Rosenkavalier..

ARTE TV had a very entertaining rundown of the historyof the Ioerette /Musical..That made me think about this.
    Please discuss if interested.
    Enough,
    Have a nice evening/ slipover...

12. Scott Wheeler

In musical theater the difference is all dialogue is sung in an opera. In a regular muisical the dialogue is spoken and they break out into songs every so often.

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

In the sense, Die Zauberloete is NOT exactly a opera, it is a Singspiel.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

That's his second recording of the Rach 3, the first one was live, IIRC.

15. Graphyfotoz

How does He compare to others of our time?

16. George P

George P Notable Member

I really love his Chopin sonatas recording on Virgin, but for some reason I never pursued more. I know his Grieg and/or Schumann concerto recording for EMI is rated at the very top of a ridiculously crowded field, so the guy's clearly got a lot of talent.

If I didn't already have over two dozen recordings of the Rach 3, I'd likely get the new Andsnes recording.

17. Scott Wheeler

And here I am waiting with baited breath for the release of the Yuja Wang/Claudio Abado recordings of Rachs 2nd and 3rd piano concertos. I know I know, you don't like either artist. I saw Yuja Wang do the 2nd in Costa Mesa.:edthumbs:

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I can't recall reading one negative comment about Yuja Wang on SH Forums. Only neg about Abbado recently was a poster rightly dissing his 2008 Mozart Symphonies disc on DG. I watched Wang's Prokofiev PC 3 with Abbado/Lucerne Festival Orchestra DVD two days ago with my 13 y.o. nephew -- scintillating! She is HOT, and her hair stylist deserves a raise -- the frock rocks!!

Attached Files:

19. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Jim, I posted this CD as I was playing it on Christmas Eve. Hope you enjoy the performances of traditional Christmas music by a full orchestra ... :righton:

20. coopmv

I have owned some previous incarnation of this twofer for years ...

21. coopmv

Happy New Year to Tokyo from Connecticut ... :wave:

22. coopmv

George, How does LEIF OVE ANDSNES stack up against Kemal Gekic?

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Gekic has never recorded any of the Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos. I prefer his Chopin to Andsnes's. I haven't heard any of Andsnes's Liszt (if he's recorded any), but I adore Gekic's Liszt.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have a recording of Andsnes and Christian Tetzlaff performing the Bartok violin sonatas. The music is the most challenging Bartok I own, and it's taken me several listenings to digest it. His performance seems fine, although I have nothing with which to compare it.

I was supposed to see the two of them play Brahms at Carnegie, but I got a sinus infection. My friend (who was a professional musician) was quite impressed.

And I did hear him perform some encore pieces when he was an honoree at a Norwegian-American Chamber of Commerce dinner.

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Watching Lang Lang 'tear up' the Tchaikovsky PC 1 on PBS Live at Lincoln Center. He bugs the crap out of me. Good lord, what a cheeser.

Are you Norwegian-American? :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.