Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #20)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

These are the only recordings by Kemal Gekic I currently have. Which of his other recordings should I own?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. George P

George P Notable Member

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

4. George P

George P Notable Member

I was very lucky to find a cheap used copy a few years back. :wave:

5. coopmv

Now playing CD1 - B1 & B2 from this set, which arrived a few weeks ago for a first listen - my 24th Beethoven cycle ...

Attached Files:

6. George P

George P Notable Member

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Can someone tell me why I have never warmed up to a period instruments Beethoven Symphony set? I gave my Gardiner set away to a friend for free. :cheers:

8. George P

George P Notable Member

I never even considered getting any Beethoven on period instruments, whether solo (except a few sonata CDs by Badura-Skoda), chamber or orchestral.

So far, I only enjoy period instruments on Baroque works. Even there, I like a lot of stuff on modern instruments (Gould/Feinberg/Richter/Tipo's Bach; Horowitz/Pletnev's Scarlatti, etc.)

9. coopmv

Three of my 24 Beethoven cycles were performed in period instruments: Gardiner, Hogwood and Goodman. Indeed, I am still not sold on period instruments when it comes to Beethoven Symphonies. I am still a big believer in period instruments for baroque music ...

10. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

At the recommendation of a fellow SHMF member, though I forget who it was, I picked up this puppy used yesterday. Now playing it and basking in the orchestral warmth of the intro to the 1st concerto.

11. coopmv

I have owned this recording for a number of years, though I am sure I have never recommended it to you, not that it is a bad recording ... :winkgrin:

12. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set for a first listen. The opening movement was so beautifully played ...

[​IMG]

13. coopmv

Now playing CD6 from this set for a first listen. Beautiful singing by Monica Groop once again ...

[​IMG]

14. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I thought it was you but wasn't sure.
    So many good suggestions and so many people making em! :D

15. Graphyfotoz

Happy New Year to all my Classiholic Friends!!

16. coopmv

We just entered 2011 44 minutes ago ... :shake: another year has gone by ...

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

New Year's Eve at home. A perfect time to play...
    • Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde - Brigitte Fassbaender (c); Francisco Araiza (t); Carlo Maria Giulini/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra [DG 1984, reissued in Gustav Mahler Complete Edition 18CD set (2010) -- never heard this one before, Fassbaender layin' on the vibrato]

Attached Files:

18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Funny you should mention her hair. I showed some youtube videos of her to Stephen Lang and Rose McGowan when we were in Bulgaria. They were both impressed but Rose said someone needs to do something about her hair.

I offered to do her makep but she never took me up on it. Too bad. She would be a great canvis.

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I broke bread with Rose and Marilyn Manson and Ozzy and Sharon at the Standard in 2001, right before 9/11. That was somethin' else!

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

21. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Milestone recordings for these works!

22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I had not noticed! Great frames! Hot indeed.

However, her interpretation of the Prokofiev 3rd was nothing special. I wonder how the Rachmaninov recordings will be but I do not have any serious expectations. Such warhorses need IMHO life experience and penetration to the deepest of their composers souls and circumstances of creation. How else?

I remember very well a dreaded Prokofiev 3rd with Lang Lang in the Concertgebouw. Luck of any sarcasm, irony, pain. Who needs them, I wonder. The record companies destroy these musicians and do not give them any chance to grow. Luckily we listeners have so many fine recordings and can eventually judge.

23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Frohes neues Jahr allen Freunden der klassischen Musik!

Happy New Year to all friends of classical music!

:wave:

24. Graphyfotoz

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Fine by me! :wave:

I have a number of CDs from that series and they are first class all the way. Many were mastered by the great Ward Marston.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.