Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Mid December - early January was a truly dead season in my part of the globe, although I fortunately got 3-4 parcels from the UK, Switzerland and Germany on December 25th-27th. But only the German one wasn't delayed by then (JPC seem to work in timely fashion even when Germany is partially under water or snow :righton:).

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

No way, but $300-$350, yes. And mine is pristine. Bought for $100 two years ago. I don't need five complete cycles. :hide: Koopman is my favorite.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Made the following small puchases today ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Similarly, I am waiting for a number of packages ordered from the US between 3 - 5 weeks ago. :mad: Who knows where they might be?

Best Wishes
    David

5. OE3

Last month, five of my Greek buyers on Ebay waited a month to receive LP's, one still has not received. I can't think he's a thief anymore, because after the others received theirs -- finally! and after much anxiety on my part -- in all likelihood the parcel really is lost.

6. coopmv

A little early music. Now playing this CD, which arrived a few weeks ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

7. coopmv

I hear you. I just cannot understand why it takes weeks for some airmail packages to arrive. :confused:

8. coopmv

Come to think of it, I did see that SACD set listed for $199.99 on Amazon. I have the later set by Starker recorded on RCA Red Seal ...

9. OE3

Pierrot lunaire

Well, look what I found last night, a mid-70's Odyssey/Columbia LP with truly hideous sleeve art, my first purchase of 2011. Never knew about this one. Also grabbed an even greater find, Michael Rabin's OOP six-disc EMI set, first edition pressed at Sonopress in Germany (later pressed at EMI Uden in Holland). No slipcase but everything minty. $50 well spent, minty LP was $4.

Attached Files:

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Isn't the USA stopping everything at the border that weighs more than a pound?

12. First I've heard of that.

I subscribe to Fanfare magazine and apart from the lousy packaging (i.e. almost non-existent to withstand transatlantic flights) it gets here pretty quick without fail and is a lot more than a pound!

btw I love Fanfare and the style of writing, so different from UK reviewers. A treat I always look forward to and have rarely been disappointed with purchases nade upon recommendations.

Best Wishes
    David

13. OE3

Fanfare

As a Brit, how do you see it differently? Just curious. I'm a subscriber, too, btw.

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Congrats! How does this Pierrot compare to the Boulez?

15. coopmv

The Fanfare magazine weighs in more than a pound? :confused:

16. coopmv

An over-reaction in the aftermath of the discovery of the bomb plot on some trans-Atlantic cargo plane?

17. coopmv

Now playing CD4, the last CD from this set for a first listen

[​IMG]

which incidentally is the same as this single CD ...

[​IMG]

18. coopmv

Now playing CD5 - T6 (conclusion, an unfortunate breakup from CD4) and T5, the last CD from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Probably. I don't remember exactly what it was in reaction to, but I first started hearing that things coming from Asia couldn't weigh more than a pound, or else...

20. coopmv

I will probably quit buying CD's from Europe if I have to put up with such aggravations going forward ...

21. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set for a second listen. This set and the set by Rosalyn Tureck on DG are considered by some the best piano versions for WTC. I grabbed this set brand-new a few months ago and it appears to be OOP at this point ...

[​IMG]

22. George P

George P Notable Member

So what do you think?

It's definitely one of my favorite WTCs. Maybe even more than Richter. :eek:

23. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

fyi, there's another version of the same performances available on another russian label. i can't speak to what their provenance is, but they do manage to get the set onto 3 discs. btw, there's also a later tureck set on bbc which some consider preferable.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I have sampled it and the sound isn't as good, more filtered.

25. coopmv

I think Feinberg's keyboard technique was awesome and it comes across in this recording loud and clear. His performance certainly sounds more forceful than Tureck's, though Tureck projected her interpretation of these works in perhaps a more romantic fashion ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.