Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Anyone familiar with Wilhelm Stenhammar?

I just dropped the hammer on these 2....samples on amazon sound spectacular!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

I wasn't able to get "Karajan: The Legendary Decca Recordings" because apparently Passionato doesn't allow Canadians to purchase their downloads. However, I found a store here in Beijing that sells legitimate CDs, so I picked up a bunch of Karajan DGs. I'm now listening to Mahler's 5th for the first time.

3. John S

John S Forum Resident

Celebrating Franz Schubert's birthday this day, 1797

Schubert
    Piano Quintet in a minor "The Trout" Op. 114, D. 667

Hagan Quartet, with
    Andras Sciff, piano
    Alois Posch, double bass

Attached Files:

4. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

5. George P

George P Notable Member

GREAT CD!

I spun a bit of that Poulenc/Roge this morning and it sounds more romantic/emotional than I recall Tacchino being. The tempos are considerably slower, too. I like the infectious fun that Tacchino brings to this music and didn't hear much of that in Roge's interpretation. Short answer, I'd say get the Tacchino for a first set.

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I enjoyed the Bach Partitas set by Zehetmair. I bought the set last year ... :righton:

7. John S

John S Forum Resident

More Schubert birthday....

In the DVD player tonight.

Schubert
    Piano Quintet in a minor "The Trout" Op. 114, D. 667

Daniel Barenboim piano, Itzhak Perlman violin, Pinchas Zuckerman viola, Jacqueline du Pré cello and Zubin Mehta double bass.

Thanks to John Greenwood for the great tip on this......:

Attached Files:

8. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

9. I had been operating on a self-taught approach too. Right now I'm enjoying the feel of being back in school, also keeping the experimentation in eras and performers going in parallel, particularly with the help of my local library that has an extensive classical CD section.

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Now playing:
    • Ivan Moravec Plays Piano Music of Smetana, Korte, Suk (Live in Prague) [Elektra/Nonesuch 1987 LP, white label promo, recorded December 18, 1984 at House of Artists, Prague, Produced by Vladimir Koronthaly, Recorded by Stanislav Sykora]

Attached Files:

11. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Agreed on all points. Didn't know he was an Angelino. He is playing up in Santa Barbara in a couple weeks and doing a mster class. I was thinking of goingto both or either if work allows.

12. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

whoa!!!!

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Does anyone have the Analogue Productions SACD of the Living Stereo 'Power of the Orchestra' with the two Mussorgsky works, recorded in the early 60's? Just wondering what it's like.

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

:edthumbs:

15. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

Currently listening to Britten's Peter Grimes (Landridge/Hickox/London Symphony Chorus/City of London Sinfonia on Chandos checked out from library) for the very first time and it's blowing me away. What an amazing work! Looks like I'll have to buy my own copy, perhaps I'll try the Colin Davis on Philips, which is recommended at the back of Alex Ross' The Rest is Noise book.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow, three posts all day?

Did everyone get an email from their boss to not use the work computer for forums? :)

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Just arrived from UK, four days after dispatch.

• BACH, C.P.E. Sonatas for violon and pianoforte. Amandine Beyer, Edna Stern. Zig Zag Territoires
    • BACH, C.P.E. Sonatas for transverse flute & basso continuo. Barthold Kuijken, Ewald Demeyere. Accent 2cds
    • BACH, C.P.E. Flute concertos. Juliette Hurel. Zig Zag Territoires
    • BACH, C.P.E. Keyboard sonatas. Danny Driver. Hyperion
    • BACH, W.F. Cembalo concertos. Ricercar Consort / Adrian Chamorro, Il Fondamento / Paul Dombrecht, Guy Penson. Ricercar 2cds
    • BRAHMS / REGER Sonatas for clarinet and piano. Florent Heau, Patrick Zygmanowski. Zig Zag Territoires 2cds
    • DVORAK String quartets G major, Op. 106 & F major, Op. 96 American. Pavel Haas Quartet. Supraphon
    • GALUPPI, BALDASSARRE Sonatas for keyboard instruments. Luca Gugliemi. Accent
    • HANDEL Concerti grossi Op. 6. Avison Ensemble / Pavlo Beznosiuk. Linn Records 3SACDs
    • HANDEL Messiah. Polyphony, Britten Sinfonia / Stephen Layton. Hyperion 2cds
    • LISZT Piano Works. Annees de pelerinage: Italie, Deux Legendes. Wilhelm Kempff. DG Originals
    • MAHLER Symphony No. 1 'Titan'. Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra / Manfred Honeck. Exton SACD
    • MAHLER Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'. Ricarda Merbeth, Bernarda Fink, Netherlands Radio Choir, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra / Mariss Jansons RCO Live 2SACD + DVD
    • MOZART Sonatas for fortepiano, Sonatas KV 281, KV 310, KV 332 & KV 576, Fantasia KV 397. Linda Nicholson. Accent
    • MOZART Piano concertos 19 & 23 Maurizio Pollini, Wiener Philharmoniker / Karl Bohm. DG Originals
    • REGER, MAX Serenades Op. 77a & 141a, Quintet Op. 146. Oxalys. Fuga Libera
    • SCHOENBERG Pierrot lunaire Op. 21, Chamber symphony No. 1 Op. 9. Jacqueline Janssen, Het Collectif / Robin Engelen. Fuga Libera
    • SCHOENBERG / BERG / WEBERN String quartets. Psophos Quartet. Zig Zag Territoires
    • TRONDHEIMSOLISTENE Divertimenti. Works by Britten, Bacewicz, Bjorklund, Bartok. 2L SACD + Blu-ray Audio Disc
    • WIENIAWSKI Works for violin and piano Vol. 2. Piotr Janowski, Wolfgang Plagge. 2L SACD

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

It's wonderful and a bargain as a Philips twofer. I bought based on the Ross recommendation.

19. coopmv

I trust my ears and emotion when it comes to classical music ... :righton:

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Amen, bother. :cheers:

21. coopmv

You are lucky. I still have some 100 CD's from the UK that are MIA so far ...

22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Please don't forget the Decca recording conducted by the composer and mixed by Kenneth Wilkinson.

23. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

got it, sound is very good, commensurate with other decca tree/ken wilkinson recordings, but ultimately your enjoyment will depend more on how you feel about the interpretations... to me they're enjoyable but not necessarily ones that i consider stand outs.

24. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Eddie, I'm interested in getting your thoughts on the Jansons/RCO Mahler 2. I'm trying to decide on an SACD version of that work, leaning toward Haitink/CSO or Fischer, based on the (mixed) on-line reviews.

25. Just finishing...

Various Artists - The Story Of Great Music: The Music Of Today - 4 LP box set
    Time-Life Records - Angel/Capitol U.S./Canada/EMI U.K. - 1967

[​IMG]

The above box set includes Babbitt, Bernstein, Boulez, Britten, Copland, Hindemith, Poulenc, Shostakovich, Vaughan Williams and Walton. The box comes with two booklets. One is 60 pages, colour with the story. The other is a 28 page guide to the recorded music.

Tonight I'm listening to Sides 2 and 3.

Sir Adrian Boult cond. The New Philharmonia Orchestra - Vaughan Williams - Symphony No. 6
    Paul Hindemith cond. The New Philharmonia Orchestra - Dennis Brain - horn - Hindemith - Horn Concerto

Found this at one of the small out-of-the-way thrift shops, recently for $6. The store had somewhere in the vacinity of 10 or 12 box sets in this Time-Life series.

Some of the sets are thematic, including Renaissance music, a Baroque set, Romantic period, Early 20th Century composers. There were also some box sets of specific composers such as Bach and Beethoven under the title The Great Men Of Music. I only purchased 2 box sets.

bsnpubs.com has a small write up on the Time-Life series. Says the thematic box sets were released between 1966 and 1968. The Great Men of Music Series was issued in the mid-1970s.

The box sets I purchased didn't have the feel of a mid-1960s pressing. LPs are too light. They appear to be mid-1970s represses. The LPs were pressed for your mom and dad's console stereo with a "stacking" turntable.
    LP 1 - Sides 1 / 8
    LP 2 - Sides 2 / 7
    LP 3 - Sides 3 / 6
    LP 4 - Sides 4 / 5

Hindemith conducts Hindemith. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.