Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Or $149.99 from an amazon marketplace villian seller. :laugh:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Jay and I have some extreme aversion to purchases of CDR's, which are slightly better than bootlegged jobs IMO ...

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Buying a CD-R is like paying for sex.

4. coopmv

While the performance was not HIP, it was first-rate. Two virtuosi of a bygone era performing these lovely chamber works by Mozart makes for some very delightful listening experience on a Saturday morning. BTW, the piano tone is excellent ...

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Released mid-90's in two 2CD volumes as part of Duo series. List in 1995 for each was $17.99 (with, of course, resellers offering much better deals), one volume still available new at Amazon; list for Newton 4CD reissue is $31.99 (TTBOMK, not remastered). Granted, it is a third-party license, but still, Brilliant is nowhere near that price point. I don't see the appeal. I would always rather have the major label release, provided it is not a rarity I'd have to pay through the nose. In a post-Naxos, post-Brilliant world, with Virgin Classics and Hyperion offering their budget labels right around $6-7, I think $9.99 is the upper limit of a straight single-disc reissue.

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I thought selling a CD-R "COPY" of a original CD was illegal as hell!! :realmad:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Not if you have paid for the license to do so, which ArchivMusic apparently has.

8. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Not when a licensing agreement has been worked out that allows the company to do it.

9. Graphyfotoz

Like paying for a kiss or a hug from the Wife!!
    Oh wait.....maybe that does happen in a round-bout way! :laugh:

10. George P

George P Notable Member

In one way or another... ;)

11. OE3

I sold a CD on Amazon last year for $199.99, snapped up only four days after listing. Bach Cello Suites by Starker on MLP 2SACD. The prices seem outrageous but people do pay. I have a minty Richter Bach Cantatas box I'm gonna list, trying to figure how rich I want to price it. Going for beaucoup dinero on EBay.

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You play—you pay!

13. coopmv

As is prostitution (in most states) ... :winkgrin:

14. Graphyfotoz

Amazon samplers for this sound spectacular!!
    What's your take on this "Piano Man" George? :D

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Haven't heard them. But - the Grumiaux/Haskil recordings of those works are absolutely sublime. I also like Goldberg/Lupu a lot.

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Which is it?

17. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Incidentally, this CD is the same as the following CD with exactly the same CD cover.

[​IMG]

The singing of these French baroque choral works has been phenomenal ...

18. coopmv

Grumiaux and Szeryng were in the same supreme league of violinists. :righton:

19. coopmv

The Bach Cello Suites by Janos Starker on Mercury SACD has been OOP and by now most known NOS's have been depleted. Simple supply demand makes such pricing on Amazon possible ...

20. OE3

All five, entire cycle.

21. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yep, it's mostly a rule, while at eBay you usually can ask a "UK-only" seller if he/she can post worldwide with at least 30-40% success rate.

22. OE3

Yes, I am well aware of marketplace economics. Going rate right now for Starker Bach Cello Suites SACD is about $100 (or less). But I waited to list till all copies were depleted, mine the lone cowboy. Sheer outlaw villainy provoked me to list at $199.99 vs. more realistic $125. And in a flash of a muzzle, it sold.

23. coopmv

CD Shipments from Europe (UK only) have been a problem for me since mid December. At least payments by credit card has made life easier for me in dealing with the etailers ...

24. OE3

MDT requires delivery confirmation. Their Express carrier will have no signature on file. Last order from Presto, in December, took two full weeks to arrive, usually 5-7 days.

25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Oh man, I have that too. So now I have a dilemma. It's listed on Amazon used at $999! Can't imagine it'd go for that, id even half of it were likely, I'm torn. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.