Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #22)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. villicodelirante

villicodelirante Forum Resident

To be honest, I think that stealing a melody from somewhere should not be considered that bad a crime when the music is not melody-centric (compare: stealing a chorus in a three minute song). Many composers did that in the past.
    And, film music is not THAT about melody (as opposed to effectively conveying a mood and all that), is it?

I think the worst thing about James Horner is that he persuaded James Cameron (who originally adamantly opposed the idea) to include a song in TItanic. That song. :D

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

This is essential:

[​IMG]

My favorite performances of the Eighth and Ninth symphonies.

3. villicodelirante

villicodelirante Forum Resident

I hate you all.

[​IMG]

4. John S

John S Forum Resident

You lucky dog. Here's hoping there's not too much cowbell....;)

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Uhhhh what did we do now? :rolleyes:

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Coming up for a quick gulp of air...

Or, of course, list a single 78 as an "album." :sigh:

What they were called depends on how far back you go. Before the Edison company's demise in 1929, to be safe you'd have needed to specify disc vs. cylinder, although as a practical matter cylinders had been pretty much a dead commercial proposition since the mid to late teens. For most of the 78 era thereafter, "record" would have done it; when LP first emerged, you'd see references to "SD" ("standard disc") vs. "LP" for a while, but the 78 didn't last very long after LP hit the market, so that was very much transitional.

Not quite. The shawm was the ancestor of the oboe; the rackett was more part of the bassoon's lineage. The picture is of a rackett. Neat thing about the rackett: it's really a folded-bore instrument, as a series of shafts is drilled vertically through the cylindrical body of the instrument and then joined by grooves carved in the end caps. If I correctly remember what an early-music maven once told me, all modern examples are somewhat speculative, built based on old engravings and descriptions, as no originals survive. Both instruments make a truly joyous noise. I've actually held (and even blown through) a crumhorn. The name "crumhorn" comes from the German for "curved," and in fact that's precisely what it is--a J-shaped instrument blown at one end like a recorder.

This was my first recording of the Tallis Fantasia, which I bought days after being floored by hearing the piece for the first time in an orchestra concert broadcast on the old KLEF-FM in Houston. The performance is first-rate, although, with its antiphonal design, this is one of those rare works that really do cry out for stereo.

The "Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra" was a pseudonym for one of the big London bands--forget which, but I think it may have been the LPO--which was under contract to another label. During the period of transition from mono to stereo, Erich Leinsdorf led a complete Mozart symphony cycle for Westminster with the orchestra billed the same way. The latter was available in the budget "Double Decker" CD series from MCA back in the '90s; the transfers are overbright, but for the early Mozart syms. (making up the bulk of the set's stereo component), which are pretty weak beer in my opinion, I've made that my recommended issue on economy grounds. In other words, good enough to get familiar with the material without spending more than said material is worth. In the later syms. (25 and 29 onward), of course, the Leinsdorfs, here mostly mono, are perfectly acceptable performances but swamped by intense competition.

Speaking of recordings by celebrated Nashvillians, the two records below have your name written all over them. ;)

Now, back under water. Blub, blub, blub.....

Attached Files:

7. John S

John S Forum Resident

Sorry, I got my SHAWM mixed up with my RACKETT. Misfired neurons, as I believe you would say. I appreciate the correction -- I would surely hate to misspeak these things in polite company.

So the purpose of the crumhorn's bend is to direct the sound toward the player?

Please don't stay under water too long; we miss you, or at least I do.:)

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

cousin Ellison(he dropped the final r in VanHooser for his classical discs ) was most
    versatile.you should check out his hillbilly,race & Yiddish comedy recordings.

Attached Files:

9. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

You are absolutely correct. I picked it up some time ago and it's very, very good. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to have another go at it.

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

According to an email from eBay I received today, the CD has shipped. Thanks so much for the heads up, Jim. :winkgrin:

11. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - Piano Concerto Nos 1 & 4 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. Vambo

Vambo New Member

Just listened to "Heritage".
    A disk (Dominion label, no date but looks late 60s) of 6 Canadian composers.
    MacMillan,Chotem(worked with prog group,Harmonium), etc.

Supposed to have French Canadian/Acadian folk inspiration & some native indian moves(one is titled "Algonquin Symphony").
    I dont hear much of that.
    Regardless its uniformly excellent.

13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Hi Eddie,
    Looks like an interesting remaster. Have you picked one of the performances of Scarbo as your preference? I see that I have earlier CD editions of these two performances by Samson Francois. I will pull them out to listen.

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Samson François

Distler is correct. The 1947 version really is the bee's knees. Astonishing. Stereo 1967 is nothing to sneeze at, either, make no mistake. But there is an added vitality and intensity in the 78 RPM version. 'One of the greatest recordings ever made'? Can't say I disagree, it's that good. But François was an uneven musician in the studio, based on what we have on offer in the 36CD box. The 1954 mono Chopin Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor is just strange, and not in a good way. Deliberate and stunted phrasing are the name of the game, as if he's playing against the orchestra. But oddly, instead of turning it off, I played it all the way through. It was fascinating, trying to figure out what he was after. I couldn't make sense of it, though. Just one listen, maybe next time I will turn it off. Is the box worth $48? Yes.

I saw Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin tonight at Disney Hall, part of the Baroque Variations series. Both Telemann pieces (the very French-sounding Overture could have been composed by Lully) and the Bach Violin Concerto were standouts, especially the Telemann concerto, a beautiful piece for recorder and flute with a dazzling Presto alla Pollacca finale. Howard Posner's program notes made reference to Telemann's fascination with Polish folk music:

Snuck up to the second row at intermission, got the audiophile sweet spot for the second half. This 13 person period instrument ensemble (instruments only, not bows) is the real deal.
    • Telemann: Overture (Suite) in F minor, TWV 55: f1
    • Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 5, BWV 1050
    • Bach: Violin Concerto in E major, BWV 1042
    • Handel: Concerto grosso in F major Op. 6 No. 2
    • Telemann: Concerto in E minor for Recorder and Flute, TWV 52:e1

Attached Files:

15. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Can someone help me identify this tune? I've had it in my head for the longest time and I'm sure I've heard it in more than one place, but I don't know the name or the composer.

Please forgive the crudeness of the file, I made it myself in GarageBand (which is all I have):

http://www.jpagan.com/WebTest/sounds/Song_Melody_Sample.mp3

16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't know. Is that the original instrumentation?

17. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

I'm kind of guessing at this point because it was so long ago; but I believe it was piano & orchestra. The portion I remember was short, but it could be part of a longer suite. Again, I have nothing to go on but that tune in my head, which I tried my best to replicate here.

18. John S

John S Forum Resident

This morning...

Rachmaninov
    Symphony No. 1

Concertgebouw Orchestra
    Vladimir Ashkenazy

Most everybody knows the story. Rachmaninov went into a major depression due to the very poor reception this piece received. Most likely it was undeserved, although how much he revised this symphony after the premiere is unknown to me. Other contributing factors could have been a lack of rehearsal time and a drunk Glazunov on the podium. Whatever the case, Rachmaninov didn't compose a note for two years while he evaluated his future as a composer. Finally, hypnotherapy saved the day.

Ashy & Co. hit it out of the park here, imo.

Attached Files:

19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Is it the Vivaldi music from Kramer vs. Kramer?

Vivaldi Lute Concerto in D

20. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

THAT'S IT.

The Second Movement – that's the tune in my head. Thanks, John!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3slSKBqEm0

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

One of the Best Rach #1s on record. Not my number one though. That goes to Kocsis. :cheers:

Those diminished chords right before the final statement of the theme in the ending of the fourth movement send chills up my spine every time.

22. coopmv

Now playing this CD, which arrived a few weeks ago from Presto Classical for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived early last week for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

24. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Great Stuart! :righton:
    That should put me on the I OU list! :D
    Nahhhh actually I could care less....just helping out a fellow music lover.
    That deal was too good to pass up given it's Amazon pricing and being OOP surplus is gone everywhere.
    Either there wasn't a lotta copies made or there are a BUNCH in Collections.

25. coopmv

The asking price for the CD on Amazon is certainly pretty outrageous ... :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.